You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

06/10/2024 Sunday Major Final Table (First half)

StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,167
edited October 7 in Poker Chat
Did this for Gary @Limp2Lose , but others may find it of interest.

FT of Sunday Major on 06/10/24 featuring @MikeyW94 , @newdaddy , @chkngeorge , @Limp2Lose @jajko and @GSmith13. VWP guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_gwhHBUp0

Comments

• StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,167
    edited October 7
    Questions for the masses.

In the first hand on the QQ5 board, after calling @chkngeorge 's 3bet on the flop, should Gary have bet the King turn and/or the river with his AK? Should he have just checked the flop?

Was Gary right to re-raise all in, with A8s on his exit hand near the end of the video?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 168,320

Good work Graham, thanks, I'll watch that later when I've got my work sorted.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
    StayOrGo said:

In the first hand on the QQ5 board, after calling @chkngeorge 's 3bet on the flop, should Gary have bet the King turn and/or the river with his AK? Should he have just checked the flop?

Was Gary right to re-raise all in, with A8s on his exit hand near the end of the video?

Interesting questions.

The QQ5 board? I would have played that exactly the same way.

The A8s? Quite villain-dependant, that 1. Versus @newdaddy who is both very good and very active, think I am shoving there as well.
    edited October 7
    For 17mins of coverage, there were some interesting plays.

Listed below: (With time of video, also includes the above two questions.)

0:10: @Limp2Lose v @chkngeorge QQ5 flop. (Gary had AK, and chkngeorge apparently had AT) Any thoughts on both players actions pre and post?

1.00: What do we think of the small 4bet pre of Mikey's and chkngeorge's fold to it?

3.45: A standard call by GSmith with K9?

6.32: jajko open shoves 18BB's. (UTG 5 handed, or HJ) Is this OK in your eyes? What hand ranges should he do that with?

11.10: After Mikey's open here, newdaddy JAM's and Mikey folds, what hand ranges do you think Mikey should call newdaddys JAM with?

11.50: newdaddy open JAM's 19BB's on the button, what should his ranges be here?

15:40 Gary (Limp2Lose) v newdaddy on KT9 rainbow flop. Apparently Gary had KQ here and newdaddy had KJ. Would you play it the same as both these guys, pre and post? Was newdaddys river check, the right play to try and trap Gary, or should daddy have value bet?

16:30: Do you think Gary was right to reshove A8s on his exit hand?
    Let me know if these FT videos are of interest and if so, I'll post a few more from time to time.
    Essexphil said:

StayOrGo said:

Interesting questions.

The QQ5 board? I would have played that exactly the same way.

The A8s? Quite villain-dependant, that 1. Versus @newdaddy who is both very good and very active, think I am shoving there as well.
    Cheers @Essexphil Looks like great minds think alike for you and Gary then.
  • MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 740
    edited October 8
    The AK > AT on QQ5r looks perfectly played by both.
    There would actually be an option for Gary to donk lead this Kh turn a percentage of the time in non ICM (because it is better for his range as the only player who can have KK and AK as played preflop) but in ICM heavy situations, when covered and out of position, passivity is often the default postflop. The covering stack IP is incentivised to play aggressively due to the increased fold equity they have in these situations (compared to chip EV) with the OOP and covered player often having to fold their hand by the river facing aggression on different runouts and being unable to "bluff catch". The OOP counter to this is to also play the top of range passively so that you can get to river with some hands that can check-call or check-raise. So I think Gary is correct not to lead turn. He is also correct not to bet river with this combo AdKs. Some of IP raising range on flop includes a chunk of back door heart draws which also check back on the Kh specifically. Although IP should be barrelling more aggressively in this ICM situation compared to a normal chip EV situation, they should still be checking back this Kh turn a good percentage of the time respecting the fact it is good for the OOP preflop raiser who also bet-called the flop. That means a good, balanced, thinking player should still get to the river with a few combo's of trips (QJs and QJo look like good combinations of trips for IP to check back turn with here) and flushes.

I think the A8s prefers to call at 15bb in the BB facing BTN open here. I think preference would be on shoving mostly offsuit aces and pairs and ATs/AJs+ for the suited aces.

I prefer to play bounty hunters as a rule but I do find these non bounty hunter final tables much more nuanced and interesting to watch. Thanks for sharing. I might have a look at the other questions if I get a chance this evening.
  • F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,407
    StayOrGo said:

6.32: jajko open shoves 18BB's. (UTG 5 handed, or HJ) Is this OK in your eyes? What hand ranges should he do that with?

11.50: newdaddy open JAM's 19BB's on the button, what should his ranges be here?

I think shoving anything for 18bb seems wrong here. I know in normal ante tournaments with 17bb you can start jamming some hands from HJ - KTs, JTs, A8s, some 6s and 5s and then your AQo/KQo and AJo but this is also chipev/no icm - with no ante's and ICM I imagine it plays more like 20bb poker where the risk/reward just isn't there and when there's only ever a raising range. You should have a much tighter range anyway given ICM and no ante's, so it's not like you need to be scared of getting jammed on as you should have enough hands that are happy to call - or printing when called if it happens too often.

2nd one is closer. On BTN you def want to have some jams in normal tournaments but I'm not really incorporating a BTN jam strat until I'm down to 12bb in this type of spot. Maybe 15bb it's OK but it would probably be with fewer hands than a 20bb BTN jamming range in chip ev and a slightly stronger range. So instead of 22-44, it might be 55 and 66. Instead of A2s-A4s it might be A4s/A5s. Instead of A7-A9o it might be A9o-AT.
  • F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,407
    StayOrGo said:

15:40 Gary (Limp2Lose) v newdaddy on KT9 rainbow flop. Apparently Gary had KQ here and newdaddy had KJ. Would you play it the same as both these guys, pre and post? Was newdaddys river check, the right play to try and trap Gary, or should daddy have value bet?
    ?

I think I mostly bet KQ ott here. Flop bet was only 1/4 (good) but then that means newdaddy should still have enough weaker hands here. Could also have turned a BDFD with something like JcTc, AcTc, AcJc. I guess he's a bit worried about 99/TT/QJs that can slowplay flop, but i'm completely fine with bet/folding given it's the weakest hand we're betting for value here.

Newdaddy should have more J in his range so I think he should probably be mostly leading river himself. Can bluff with something like AT. When he blocks the K i guess it makes more sense as a combo to sometimes check tho since it blocks KQ/AK and makes it more likely Gary has a hand he wants to bluff with as opposed to bluff catch.
  • gogogadgetgogogadget Member Posts: 162
    Definitely interested in more of this content please, many thanks for sharing and for your valuable insight
    edited October 8
    Many thanks @F_Ivanovic for the feedback, I know in recent years shoves, especially on the FT Open Shoves have got bigger, due to min raises getting JAM'd on regularly (especially on STARS) and just open JAMing maximises the ICM pressure on your opponents, so they'll often fold worse hands and/or hands you are racing against, but do agree that you can min raise or 2.2x if you feel your opponent isn't going to JAM light on you.

This is something that has definitely changed over the years and 18-25BB shoves are much more common now, even by very good players.

On Stars I tend to JAM 18-20BB's if I have a medium/low pair 55,66 and/or a hand like ATs, AJ and the blinds 3bet a lot! If I am on the button or small blind, then I'll do it a bit wider, just because if I open raise against these types of opponents and they JAM, I either have to call anyway, or possibly fold the best hand, which while not a disaster, is not great. If I am UTG (8 handed) I probably let 55 and 66 go pre at 20BB's on a FT, and minR/F, ATs, AJ, KQs. I think 6 handed on SKY if I am UTG then, it's tricky. I may Open JAM my 20BB's with AK, AQ 55-JJ, depending on opponent styles and stack sizes,

It's quite common place for the small blind to reshove 20BB against a button open with hands like 76s, 87s as even against a big Ace they have over 40% equity if called, and virtually 50% against a RagA, and 22-55. This combined with the number of time they take the pot down pre, makes it quite a +EV play. I think when this started happening, the big shove started coming in to counteract it.

I 100% get your point though. Thanks again for your comments.

Here's a picture (for people in general) showing the equity that 76s has against AKo

Definitely interested in more of this content please, many thanks for sharing and for your valuable insight

Glad you found it useful/interesting. Will do some more shortly.
  • MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 740
    I know I said I might look at answering the other questions this evening if I got a chance but I see F_Ivanovic has tackled them so I'll leave my contribution as what I posted this afternoon if that's ok @StayOrGo
    MynaFrett said:

I know I said I might look at answering the other questions this evening if I got a chance but I see F_Ivanovic has tackled them so I'll leave my contribution as what I posted this afternoon if that's ok @StayOrGo

OK mate. Sorry I didn't get round to responding to your comments, they made a lot of sense. I think the consensus agrees with you that the AK v AT on the QQ5 board was well played by both, and the re-shove with A8s is liked by some and not by others, so the jury is still out there!

Thanks again!
  • JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 376
    Nice Work @StayOrGo B)