You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Hold'Em Manager Thoughts?

robcrobc Member Posts: 521
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
 Hiya ive just been looking at Hold'em manager as i had heard a few people mention it on here. Was just wondering if anyone could give me there thoughts on it? its best features, if its worth the money, Am i right in thinking it doesn't work with sky poker? i do play on another site aswell but mostly on here, i have signed up to pokertable ratings to help on the other site. and i use sharkscope for this site.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers in advance 

Rob

Comments

• Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010
    your are right in thinking it cannot be used on sky, but I have used something similar on a different site in the past called poker tracker, it does not have all the features of that software but it was helpful at aiding my game a little the HUD if you can get it to setup right can be very helpful in on the spot analysis and such like.

The in databases of every hand do make it easy to analyse your play as the software will do most of it for you.

at the end of the day though I think it depends on the player on whether its a worthwhile investment or not, I never checked the price cause one thing would be the stakes i play compared to the cost and the extra increase in your play your hoping to get from using it so its a lot to consider.

This is just a brief thought on it hopefully someone who actually has the software can help further.

Spike2120
  • Options
    DeuceAK_47DeuceAK_47 Member Posts: 381
    edited April 2010

Advantages

• Great program for finding leaks in the oppositon and your games. (including leak buster application)     
    • Heads up display-hud. (vital for multitabling)
    • mucked display to see your opponents mucked cards.
    • Keeps track of all your results in both cash and tournys.(Although sharkscope and ptr are accurate enough)
    Disadvantages
    • Does not work on sky poker and i doubt it ever will.(so if you mainly play on sky..its not worth buying.)
    • Not worth it for tourny or sngs players as there are so many tourny players you will never get enough stats on them,even when you do, it mixes all the stats for a player together eg their stats for sngs,turbos,deepstacks and tourny players are always adjusting the hands they play. (depending on blind levels-stats cant pick this up)
    • If a site allows holdem manager, then most players will be using it aswell.

A cheaper option would be to work on your game by posting loads of hands in the poker strategy forum which you were unsure of (generally great advice) and start taking loads of notes when your playing.(much more helpful than stats imo)

• Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2010
    Quick sort of hi jack - what advantage does hem have over pt3?  I have pt3 but havent used it for a while and I`m thinking of getting hem as it is better by all accounts but how??
  • Options
    edited April 2010
      Cheers for the replies people, i noticed you can download a 15 day free trial (might be good for you Omahony) seems really interesting but abit confusing as ive never had any software like this but will let you no how i get on. 

Cheers again

Rob
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hold'Em Manager Thoughts?:
    Quick sort of hi jack - what advantage does hem have over pt3?  I have pt3 but havent used it for a while and I`m thinking of getting hem as it is better by all accounts but how??
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Not much difference at all really mate...the only ones i can think of are that hm has a slightly better hud and has add on applications such as table scanner,leak buster, holdem vision and tableninja.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hold'Em Manager Thoughts? : Not much difference at all really mate...the only ones i can think of are that hm has a slightly better hud and has add on applications such as table scanner,leak buster, holdem vision and tableninja.
    Posted by DeuceAK-47

HEM is a mirrion times better than PT.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hold'Em Manager Thoughts? : HEM is a mirrion times better than PT.
    Posted by beaneh
    So you would advise someone who has already purchased pt3 to go and buy HEM aswell?

TBH im only going on other ppls opinions as i have only ever used HEM....y is HEM so much better in your opinion Beaneh?

• Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hold'Em Manager Thoughts? : So you would advise someone who has already purchased pt3 to go and buy HEM aswell? TBH im only going on other ppls opinions as i have only ever used HEM....y is HEM so much better in your opinion Beaneh?
    Posted by DeuceAK-47

PT was the ****, then PT 2 was pants, then HEM came out and was siiiick, PT3 just cant keep pace. HEM all the way. 
  • Options
    LlamamanLlamaman Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2010
    HEM (slightly<) Pokertracker.

But if you bought pokertracker go for it your not missing that much if you've got a proper database setup for it.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I wont be paying for hem if I get it.  So many sites offer it for free if you sign up and earn a certain amount of points.  It is how I got PT3.
    I found there were a lot of bugs with pt3 and I was forever having to go onto the forums to fix them and downloading again, re-entering keys etc etc.  It got so annoying.

Is hem any better in this respect, or was I the only one to have loads of bugs with pt3 anyway.

Does hem still require that `postgresql`? whatever that is.  That caused me no end of probs.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I wont be paying for hem if I get it.  So many sites offer it for free if you sign up and earn a certain amount of points.  It is how I got PT3. I found there were a lot of bugs with pt3 and I was forever having to go onto the forums to fix them and downloading again, re-entering keys etc etc.  It got so annoying. Is hem any better in this respect, or was I the only one to have loads of bugs with pt3 anyway. Does hem still require that `postgresql`? whatever that is.  That caused me no end of probs.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    lol... yeah you still have to install postgresql,they do give you a detailed example on how to make it work though. (it might be your computer so u should definely take the trial just in case)
    As for the bugs,i do download the latest version every month or so and have no problems,I guess it depends on which site you playing with as i feel HEM works better with the big two american companies rather than some of the smaller euro sites.

Hope this helps

Deuce
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I wont be paying for hem if I get it.  So many sites offer it for free if you sign up and earn a certain amount of points.  It is how I got PT3. I found there were a lot of bugs with pt3 and I was forever having to go onto the forums to fix them and downloading again, re-entering keys etc etc.  It got so annoying. Is hem any better in this respect, or was I the only one to have loads of bugs with pt3 anyway. Does hem still require that `postgresql`? whatever that is.  That caused me no end of probs.
    Posted by OMahonyO

the software has to keep changing to match the changing poker site software after upgrades etc both those and postgre are pretty simple to install.
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited April 2010
    I think you'd be better off buying the software.  Sites which offer the software 'free' are acting as referrers for you and therefore getting your rakeback from the site.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think you'd be better off buying the software.  Sites which offer the software 'free' are acting as referrers for you and therefore getting your rakeback from the site.
    Posted by Machka
    I did weigh all this up before hand and depending on which site you use, the benefit of taking the software over the rakeback was pretty huge in some cases.

at beaneh, yeah i used to do all the reg updates whenever prompted but it still all went t1t5 up lol.  im so bad with computers though it was prob no big deal to anyone else.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hold'Em Manager Thoughts? : I did weigh all this up before hand and depending on which site you use, the benefit of taking the software over the rakeback was pretty huge in some cases. at beaneh, yeah i used to do all the reg updates whenever prompted but it still all went t1t5 up lol.  im so bad with computers though it was prob no big deal to anyone else.
    Posted by OMahonyO

HEM support will even do team viewer sessions where they attempt to figure out and fix your problem.
  • Options
    ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited April 2010
    There has been numerous threads on here about this.

The biggest problem with this software is it puts casual players off from playing (gamblers fish whatever you want to call them).  There is no poker industry without people who are willing to spend money on the enjoyment of the game. People who use this software are playing poker to make money and are not willing to spend money on playing the game. Most casual players dont even realise it exists and from personal experience when they find out they think its cheating(thats another debate) and are put off from online poker. Also there is no privacy if this software is enabled.

I have used pt hem and po, and out of the 3 imo hem is the best. 
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Advantages Great program for finding leaks in the oppositon and your games. ( including leak buster application)       Heads up display-hud. (vital for multitabling) mucked display to see your opponents mucked cards. Keeps track of all your results in both cash and tournys.(Although sharkscope and ptr are accurate enough) Disadvantages Does not work on sky poker and i doubt it ever will.(so if you mainly play on sky..its not worth buying.) Not worth it for tourny or sngs players as there are so many tourny players you will never get enough stats on them,even when you do, it mixes all the stats for a player together eg their stats for sngs,turbos,deepstacks and tourny players are always adjusting the hands they play. (depending on blind levels-stats cant pick this up) If a site allows holdem manager, then most players will be using it aswell. A cheaper option would be to work on your game by posting loads of hands in the poker strategy forum which you were unsure of (generally great advice) and start taking loads of notes when your playing.(much more helpful than stats imo)
    Posted by DeuceAK-47

I have tried using it the last few days and tbh for a player like me who plays regularly but only for fun and as a hobbie i dont think its really worth while, i agree with the bit deuce says here. 

Im sure its great software for pros and grinders but for me it kind of took the fun out of it same as multi tabling does for me. i prefer to watch whats happening round the table so i no how people are playing and taking notes myself. with this i found myself looking at stats more than trusting my instinct, which is normally the most important part of my game.

Like i said i think great for grinders and pros/big rollers but for me i prefer sitting and watching and getting my own reads and info as this is half the fun for me! i would suggest people who play for fun like me to try the free 15 day trial and make your own minds up.

Cheers for all the comments 

Rob

• Options
    barnsiebarnsie Member Posts: 496
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Hold'Em Manager Thoughts? :  I have tried using it the last few days and tbh for a player like me who plays regularly but only for fun and as a hobbie i dont think its really worth while, i agree with the bit deuce says here.   Im sure its great software for pros and grinders but for me it kind of took the fun out of it same as multi tabling does for me. i prefer to watch whats happening round the table so i no how people are playing and taking notes myself. with this i found myself looking at stats more than trusting my instinct, which is normally the most important part of my game.   Like i said i think great for grinders and pros/big rollers but for me i prefer sitting and watching and getting my own reads and info as this is half the fun for me! i would suggest people who play for fun like me to try the free 15 day trial and make your own minds up.   Cheers for all the comments      Rob
    Posted by robc
    hem is by far the best

as beaneh says above they will even set it up with you if you have problems