You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

CHANGE THE OPEN TO 10MIN BLINDS & MAKE IT AN 8PM START

THESWISSTHESWISS Member Posts: 238
edited August 2009 in Community Suggestions

Hi,

I think it is now time to dump the 7 min blinds touraments. Obviously the show has time restrictions but we have had more and more 10min blind games recently and they are equally as popular. The skill level is much higher and leaves more room to play poker.

The problem is they finish at approx 12.30am which is not ideal if people are working the next day. 8pm starts would solve this problem and it is definately worth reintroducing them so see if they work. The show can still start at 9pm if it has to, it could just show the 1st hour highlights.

Friday and Saturday nights can still be 9pm starts.

Thoughts?

Ed

Comments

• Options
    noviceplaynoviceplay Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2009
    I agree, 8pm would be a better start time.

In Response to CHANGE THE OPEN TO 10MIN BLINDS & MAKE IT AN 8PM START:
    Hi, I think it is now time to dump the 7 min blinds touraments. Obviously the show has time restrictions but we have had more and more 10min blind games recently and they are equally as popular. The skill level is much higher and leaves more room to play poker. The problem is they finish at approx 12.30am which is not ideal if people are working the next day. 8pm starts would solve this problem and it is definately worth reintroducing them so see if they work. The show can still start at 9pm if it has to, it could just show the 1st hour highlights. Friday and Saturday nights can still be 9pm starts. Thoughts? Ed
    Posted by THESWISS
  • Options
    sofadudesofadude Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2009
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. I play the deepstacks more often than not nowadays as there tends to be poker played rather than panic bingo.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: CHANGE THE OPEN TO 10MIN BLINDS & MAKE IT AN 8PM START:
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. I play the deepstacks more often than not nowadays as there tends to be poker played rather than panic bingo.
    Posted by sofadude
    We shared a Table for long spells in last night's Deepstack Mr Dude - I thought you played just great.
  • Options
    fitzer14fitzer14 Member Posts: 248
    edited June 2009
    Tikay me old m8.
                            i did a post regarding a any chance of satts to EPT tournys,on same basis as WSOP,any ideas or comments ?
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    ZZCopZZCop Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2009
    Definetly Agree! Think it would be much more popular.

The main advantage being it allows for more poker skill rather than the 'all in or fold' poker we see in the latter stages of the open. (even the presenters say this). You dont have to be a good player to win the present Open, just lucky winning 5 or 6 all ins on the run. It would also enable the starting chips to go back to 2,000 rather than 3,000, thereby encouraging even more skill.
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited June 2009

I dont think they need to change the open a 12.30 finish is not too late for most of the poker nuts on here if you go out before most just buyin to the next game and still play past midnight,maybe sky could add a £30 deepstack that is not televised for the players that dont like the faster game that is the open.

hey swiss why on earth do you want sky to change the open when you have won it 4 times (last time i heard) and also cash out in a lot..(dont tap the fishtank)

cheers dave

• Options
    THESWISSTHESWISS Member Posts: 238
    edited June 2009
    I dont think they need to change the open a 12.30 finish is not too late for most of the poker nuts on here if you go out before most just buyin to the next game and still play past midnight,maybe sky could add a £30 deepstack that is not televised for the players that dont like the faster game that is the open. hey swiss why on earth do you want sky to change the open when you have won it 4 times (last time i heard) and also cash out in a lot..(dont tap the fishtank) cheers dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    A bad run so far this year may be influencing my thoughts.

Ed
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited June 2009
    Definetly Agree! Think it would be much more popular. The main advantage being it allows for more poker skill rather than the 'all in or fold' poker we see in the latter stages of the open. (even the presenters say this). You dont have to be a good player to win the present Open, just lucky winning 5 or 6 all ins on the run. It would also enable the starting chips to go back to 2,000 rather than 3,000, thereby encouraging even more skill.
    Posted by ZZCop
    Yes an 8pm start definatly should be looked at!!

Agree with ZZCop 2k chips and 10 min blinds 8pm start is perfect!!
  • Options
    BOSSBOXBOSSBOX Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2009
    Great idea, 2000 chips 10 min blinds. Are you listening to your customers sky poker!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2009
    I agree, 8pm would be a better start time. Posted by noviceplay
    100% endorse this.

Plenty of posts have said the same thing - I hope the Forum administrators have some sway with the 'powers-that-be' who decide these things.
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited July 2009
    Agree 100%. most of the first hour's coverage isn't really worth watching anyway (sorry Sky).
  • Options
    goddenkylegoddenkyle Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2009
     I think that this would be a great idea for a few reasons, firstly it would stop people blasting the chat boxes quite as much about sky poker website being a joke ect ect, because of all the bad beats blah blah....i think that alot of players walk away from sky to go to other website like full tilt for example because of the better tourny structure. Also it would just be nice to have a little more play involved i mean in a tourny so fast you need a whole lot of luck and some good cards, ok some people have won it a couple of times but they must play every night. The amount of luck needed is just to great, and isn't this game suppsoed to be about skill??? Also one other tihng that you could try is to change it to a 9 or 10 handed game, this way there would be alot more skillfull play instead of just heads on confruntation which i think would make better viewing anyway. I would much rather see, skillfull play rather than A8 raise from early pos, KJ shoves from SB A8 has to call for value because the raise was nearly half his stack ect ect ect. With ten handed you would have a much wider selection of hands with which to find some good spots to make a move and you would have some very interesting plays to watch on TV. As a long time Sky tv viewer i think that something needs to change in order to push Sky Poker forwards. Ps, i would love a job at Sky Poker if there is any going let me know.
  • Options
    LukeFullerLukeFuller Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2009
    Longer blind structures would indeed be good because as it stands, with a 700 open tourny, about 400+ people are being knocked out in the 1st hour due to blinds being too big.
  • Options
    Bza3swordsBza3swords Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2009
    I fully back this. 
  • Options
    YoungUnYoungUn Member Posts: 422
    edited August 2009
    I would like to think that there is no way this would have a negative effect on runners. I am one of i'm sure many players that do not play The Open purely because I just cannot stand the structure.

There will be arguments that say "Well if The Open sells out most nights (which it of course does) then it must be doing something right so why change it?" which is a valid point. What I would say to that, though, is that it sells out because most players play it for the Prize Pool and the novelty of being on TV. It would surprise me if any of these players gave a monkeys about the structure, so if it was changed to what is being proposed they would still play, but you would also get more players like myself to play much more regularly.

The only problem that I see with it is the earlier start, but I'd be surprised if The Open would lose players as a result of this.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited August 2009
    Also one other tihng that you could try is to change it to a 9 or 10 handed game
    Posted by goddenkyle
    Don't think they can do that for the televised tournaments, as their studio software only support six seaters.

• Options
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: CHANGE THE OPEN TO 10MIN BLINDS & MAKE IT AN 8PM START : Don't think they can do that for the televised tournaments, as their studio software only support six seaters.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    NoseyBonk has been paying attention.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited August 2009
    I totally agree that 10 min blinds starting at 8pm (if necessary) would be an improvement. If I remember correctly the initial Opens were 10 min blinds (or possibly 12 mins) but the fields were smaller then.
    In fact I e-mailed Sky Poker on 23/02/2007 to say that I hoped that they never reduced the blind intervals.
    A man ahead of my time - just like Liam "Chippy" Brady :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I totally agree that 10 min blinds starting at 8pm (if necessary) would be an improvement. If I remember correctly the initial Opens were 10 min blinds (or possibly 12 mins) but the fields were smaller then. In fact I e-mailed Sky Poker on 23/02/2007 to say that I hoped that they never reduced the blind intervals. A man ahead of my time - just like Liam "Chippy" Brady :-)
    Posted by MereNovice
    Nice to see you back Vince!

The thing is, the 7 minute Blind Open regularly reaches it's 700 Capacity. Which sorta suggests that a whiole bunch of players like it.

See where I'm going with this? ;