You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

fine line between love and hate

pod1pod1 Member Posts: 4,377
edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
been playing on sky poker for nearly 2yrs now, and can honestly say i have enjoyed "almost" every minute of it. great people, great advice and some great tournaments . i dont play poker to make money, i dont play to gamble, i play it coz i love the game ,and the people on this site make it more enjoyable. feel my game at the moment though is really suffering mind. i know about downswings, i know about variance and i understand the game bites you in the a r s e when you least expect it. elsadog gave me some help back at the end of dec and since then built up a br to allow me to play the games i want to and when i want to. just came off my umteth mtt without cashing in the last 2 weeks and i am at a complete lose as to why!. about a mnth ago i started playing cash for the first time  and got comfortable at 5p 10p, making enough to cover my mtts. friday night got v drunk and thought it was a great idea to give 20p 40p ago as you do. lets just say those 3 bottles of red wine ended up costing me  alot of money.(half my bankroll). question is what do i do next. i dont play sngs, feel physically violated on the cash tables now, and cant buy a mtt win at the moment. just came off the last tourney after watching some really bad play by quite a few people and thinking my game must be really horrible if i cant play and beat these type of players. its not as though i cant afford to chuck a couple of hundred quid back in my account, thats not the problem, its what i change if i have to. (not quite there yet). any sensible advice would be welcome. phil

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,171
    edited April 2010

Just stop doing this!

".....friday night got v drunk and thought it was a great idea to give 20p 40p ago as you do......"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    thanks tikay, i kinda worked that one out for myself. lol
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: fine line between love and hate:
    Just stop doing this! ".....friday night got v drunk and thought it was a great idea to give 20p 40p ago as you do......"
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sound advice and good that tikay waited until he was out of TKO before he gave it.

Sounds like you're not enjoying the poker right now mate.  Time to take a break or play where the fun is for a while?

Porkerman free play is always a winner for smiles.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    thanks machka, probably right, not enjoying it. but i think its the results im not enjoying not the playing. do you think taking a break would still help, im not one for backing off a problem, rather hit it head on. on the other hand , dont want to be hitting my head against a brick wall( dont think the dog can take another beating!!!)
  • Options
    SoLackSoLack Member Posts: 2,736
    edited April 2010
    Play lower stakes until your luck turns.  This should help you avoid busting your bankroll, and help regain any lost confidence - you may take a few more bad beats at the lower levels, but providing you play sensible tight poker you will win (do you know how to play tight? :-)
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited April 2010
    Hey Pod!

TAKE THE WEEKENDS OFF!!!!!

It seems like you only feel used and abused at the cash tables because you lost half your stack at 20/40. Move back down to 5/10 again and play the odd mtt until you regain enjoyment and lose the disillusioned outlook you have right now!

TK is right, dont play drunk....And if you feel like a game when drunk then play one of those 35p bounty hunters, 2p/4p tables or something for fun!!! Moving up a level when you have the beer goggles on is only going to end up sad...If you think you're ready to move up then DO IT SOBER (Pot kettle I know...)

If you're enjoying the game then ride it out, just remember that poker should be fun and never a chore... be it for fun, gambing or to make money...

Chin up sir!!!!

x
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    thanks trip, i blame you, being taken out of that hu comp was the nail in the coffin lmao. solack , are you implying that i can be a tad loose !!!! shame on you sir. ps keep going in those vagas comps mate u are close my friend, you got the game to qualify. much better than your sng game !!!!
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited April 2010
    i have played you on cash and tournys mate, and you have a solid game. you no this aswell.

You said you built a nice bankroll at 5-10p tables so maybe a couple of days off then sit at these tables again fresh and ready to build a decent bankroll again, playing the mtts as you go.

Hope your luck gets better and you get your confidence back mate 
  • Options
    bryan1960bryan1960 Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2010
    In Response to fine line between love and hate:
    been playing on sky poker for nearly 2yrs now, and can honestly say i have enjoyed "almost" every minute of it. great people, great advice and some great tournaments . i dont play poker to make money, i dont play to gamble, i play it coz i love the game ,and the people on this site make it more enjoyable. feel my game at the moment though is really suffering mind. i know about downswings, i know about variance and i understand the game bites you in the a r s e when you least expect it. elsadog gave me some help back at the end of dec and since then built up a br to allow me to play the games i want to and when i want to. just came off my umteth mtt without cashing in the last 2 weeks and i am at a complete lose as to why!. about a mnth ago i started playing cash for the first time  and got comfortable at 5p 10p, making enough to cover my mtts. friday night got v drunk and thought it was a great idea to give 20p 40p ago as you do. lets just say those 3 bottles of red wine ended up costing me  alot of money.(half my bankroll). question is what do i do next. i dont play sngs, feel physically violated on the cash tables now, and cant buy a mtt win at the moment. just came off the last tourney after watching some really bad play by quite a few people and thinking my game must be really horrible if i cant play and beat these type of players. its not as though i cant afford to chuck a couple of hundred quid back in my account, thats not the problem, its what i change if i have to. (not quite there yet). any sensible advice would be welcome. phil
    Posted by pod1
    bryan and i always recommend changing to the four coloured deck at moments like this,this never fails.Just go to options youll find it there.Youll find you can have a good drink as well ,tip on that though,while were here,drink as much as you like pod but Bryan and i find that if you close your left eye every mouthful ,you tend to hit your draws 80% of the time ,as opposed to 20% when eyes are left open or indeed both are closed.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2010

Kebabs for me, sometimes love em sometimes h8 em...

I always say it, there's nothing wrong with playing drunk, its playing bladdered that's the problem !! :)

Give cash another go - if u feel intimidated there, u can just sit there for 20 minutes, playing nothing but queens kings aces and ak, and it might cost you a pound in blinds - Then ull relax into it, and start to open up and play naturally.

Its where the money's at, and if u get good at it, its realllyyyyyyyyy enjoyable :)
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: fine line between love and hate:
    In Response to fine line between love and hate : bryan and i always recommend changing to the four coloured deck at moments like this,this never fails.Just go to options youll find it there.Youll find you can have a good drink as well ,tip on that though,while were here,drink as much as you like pod but Bryan and i find that if you close your left eye every mouthful ,you tend to hit your draws 80% of the time ,as opposed to 20% when eyes are left open or indeed both are closed.
    Posted by bryan1960
    In addition to the 4-colour deck I suggest knocking the 'dealing' sounds up a notch or two (also in options), it can't fail to help your game.  For maximum effect put it on 11.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2010
    Soz to read of yer plight pod mate i would just put it down to lesson learned.Stick to the cash level you can afford.I myself sometimes feel i can go up a level or two but i know my roll is more confident at 5/10 and 10/20.As for your mtts well it is a much harder format you need skill luck luck luck and more luck but it will come it always does.Ive been on sky now for 10 months and i have been lucky in mtts ive won over 20 in this time thats about 1 every 2 weeks plus probably triple this in final tables.Hope you get as lucky as i have been.All the best yer mate dav
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited April 2010

just go back to your 5p/10p cash games... all that has changed is you were silly and played too high when you was drunk... so just go back to 5p/10p and your mtt thing is probs just luck so dont be disheartened... hope it picks up dude gl x

• Options
    Eagle26Eagle26 Member Posts: 431
    edited April 2010
    pod ive been going through exactly the same thing lately buddy, i did a similar thread a while back 'starting over' and the responce and advice i got was great! as good as the advice was though im still going through the same problem. u seem to be a similar situation to me, you play cash and mtt's and you are suddenly struggling in both, im kind of the same although my mtt game is still quite sound - going deep and cashing on a regular basis, my cash game however has gone completly wampy! since the start of the year i had built up a bankroll which allowed me to sit down at nl50 and nl100 very comfortably (if ur using the 5% rule) but these past few weeks have been terrible ive been dropping buy in after buy in some bad beats sure, but mostly just stupid play on my part. its soul destroyin losing money and gettin outplayed by players who u just KNOW u are far better than!  so what did i do i moved up the stakes -nl200 -just like you u jumped from nl20 to nl40! and it ended up in disaster! (never do that!) my bankroll has taken a massive hit, just like yours! my confidence gone! its a horrible feeling losing especially when your not used to it! u start questioning yourself-am i really as good as i think i am?? have i just been lucky all this time?? your confidence drops and your game goes out the window! im an extremly loose player and dohhhhhh (a good mate of mine on ere and a crackin player) suggested the same thing to me as he as to you play cash but just sit tight play only your premiums and as your confidence grows open your game up again! this is sound advice and if you have the patience to do this then i would strongly suggest it-i dont however have the patience for this so ive stopped playing cash for a while, just stickin to mtt's and now started playin heads up (suits my game so much better). and when my confidence returns im sure ill be back at the cash tables winnin lots of pennies again like i used too! my advice to you is that if your not enjoying the game right now is perhaps have a little break, i dont agree with people havin breaks when they are gettin bad beats left right and centre because to me then your game is still good and your obviously playing well getting your money in ahead  but the poker gods are just bitin u on the a s s ..however if you feel you are just playin BAD then definalty have a break for a while, have a look through your hand history and spot the leaks and think about how to correct them and come back refreshed and ready to go again! confidence is a very big thing in poker, like in any sport if you feel confident you will play better - yours as obviously dropped so you need to build it back up again! remember your a good player (i know ive played you) sort your head out , take a little break and im sure you will return a better player than you already are! goodluck -Andy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    some great advice guys and girls. cheers for taking the time to respond, especially eagle, that must have taken some time and thought. gonna go back on the 5p 10p tables and go back to abc poker for a bit. just a bit horrible having a confidence problem considering im a cocky mouthy over confident jack a s s. gonna stick to 1 bottle of vino when playing, and gonna stop watchin them ruddy durrr vids on u tube. thanks again phil