You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Windows Vista & Sky poker??

DTWBANDITDTWBANDIT Member Posts: 6,451
edited April 2010 in Community Help & Advice

hi i am a simpleton when it comes to computers but could someone tell me what size Processor would i need to run sky poker with Windows Vista (laptop) to be able to play 2 tables  many thanks dtw

Comments

• ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited April 2010

Most likely answer is bigger the better due to the amount of resource the site needs

• penguin7penguin7 Member Posts: 1,095
    edited April 2010
    You should be able to play two tables on any basic Vista laptop. I have a simple 1.6 GHz that I use when away from home and its comfortable with three tables. It does work best using Firefox rather than IE8
  • DTWBANDITDTWBANDIT Member Posts: 6,451
    edited April 2010

In Response to Re: Windows Vista & Sky poker??:
    You should be able to play two tables on any basic Vista laptop. I have a simple 1.6 GHz that I use when away from home and its comfortable with three tables. It does work best using Firefox rather than IE8
    Posted by penguin7

cheers for that m8 i will make sure that firefox is on it  dtw
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited April 2010
    You're not going to buy a new machine with VISTA on it are you? It's utter junk. Get Win7 or even XP over Vista. Vista is a horrible piece of software and gives really poor relative performance.
  • silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited April 2010
    You're not going to buy a new machine with VISTA on it are you? It's utter junk. Get Win7 or even XP over Vista. Vista is a horrible piece of software and gives really poor relative performance.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Nosey, how easy is it to upgrade to W7 from Vista? My lappie's running Vista at the moment but everyone keeps saying W7 is better.
  • FishingPhiFishingPhi Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010
    NOTE: the following opinion is totally biased.

I would say stuff Microsoft and their flakey software and money making band wagon and install Ubuntu Linux instead. Much more stable, no security bloat required (no such thing as viruses), and all software is free. Nearly every server on the internet runs on a Linux operating system. Most of those little netbooks you can buy for about £200 run Linux. A lot of modern Smart Phones run some format of Linux. It's just more reliable and a darn site faster. No wonder Windows has starting nicking all it's "new" ideas from Linux...
    edited April 2010
    NOTE: the following opinion is totally biased. I would say stuff Microsoft and their flakey software and money making band wagon and install Ubuntu Linux instead. Much more stable, no security bloat required (no such thing as viruses), and all software is free. Nearly every server on the internet runs on a Linux operating system. Most of those little netbooks you can buy for about £200 run Linux. A lot of modern Smart Phones run some format of Linux. It's just more reliable and a darn site faster. No wonder Windows has starting nicking all it's "new" ideas from Linux...
    Posted by FishingPhi
    Wise words.

Back in the late 80's / early 90's I was a programmer in an IBM System/38 & AS/400 environment. Only when you've experienced a proper operating system can you really appreciate just how dreadful Microsoft's are.

edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Windows Vista & Sky poker?? : Nosey, how easy is it to upgrade to W7 from Vista? My lappie's running Vista at the moment but everyone keeps saying W7 is better.
    Posted by silentbob
    Yo quiet Bob

I've never done it but the engineers here say the upgrade works quite well, although I've never been a fan of 'inplace' upgrades..... I tend to avoid trying anything 'technical' in a Windows environment - my BP is high enough without that lol.

• beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Windows Vista & Sky poker?? : Wise words. Back in the late 80's / early 90's I was a programmer in an IBM System/38 & AS/400 environment. Only when you've experienced a proper operating system can you really appreciate just how dreadful Microsoft's are.
    Posted by NoseyBonk

Acorn RISC ftw!!!
  • FishingPhiFishingPhi Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010
    Thank God i'm not alone in my geeky little world. TBH, Linux used to be for advanced users but nowadays distros like Ubuntu have dumbed it down so much that anybody with a little common sense should be able to use it. Of course, most people are reluctant to change and/or don't even know that Windows has competition. Only reason Windows is so common is because M$ have the budget to advertise, which of course is not possible if your software is free...

So getting back on topic...you don't need a fancy PC to run Sky poker but you WILL need something reasonable (i.e. around 2ghz processor and 512mb ram) if you're running it on Windows. Having said all that, most of the software problems i read about on here are due to flakey internet connections which is a totally different subject.
  • penguin7penguin7 Member Posts: 1,095
    edited April 2010
    Thank God i'm not alone in my geeky little world. TBH, Linux used to be for advanced users but nowadays distros like Ubuntu have dumbed it down so much that anybody with a little common sense should be able to use it. Of course, most people are reluctant to change and/or don't even know that Windows has competition. Only reason Windows is so common is because M$ have the budget to advertise, which of course is not possible if your software is free... So getting back on topic...you don't need a fancy PC to run Sky poker but you WILL need something reasonable (i.e. around 2ghz processor and 512mb ram) if you're running it on Windows. Having said all that, most of the software problems i read about on here are due to flakey internet connections which is a totally different subject.
    Posted by FishingPhi
    Totally in agreement here. A simple PC or laptop is sufficient. I am lucky that when at home I have a good wifi connection, but I take my laptop away with me when working, and sometimes encounter all sorts of strange problems on some hotel wifi systems. Personally I am happy with Vista, in fact I had more problems with Win7 when it first came out. As said earlier Firefox performs better than IE for me, and I have also seen an improvement since switching my AV from Norton to McAfee.

If buying a simple laptop I would avoid Toshiba, having had to send two back in the last couple of years.
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Windows Vista & Sky poker?? : Acorn RISC ftw!!!
    Posted by beaneh
    I'm not familiar with that. My background is mostly coding in Z80 and x86 environments (Assembly language) with a bit of high level 'C' and RPG thrown in later on ... and then I quit programming in about '92 when all this GUI stuff started taking off lol.