You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Omaha Make Your Play

TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Good Evening Ladies & Gents

Thought I'd throw this hand out there for you.  I'll post the later streets tomorrow or the weekend but for now, let's go to the flop.  (this is an actual hand that I played but one that IMO could have played out in many different ways).

The set up:

It's your first hand in a 25p/50p PLO six handed cash game.  You've waited for the Big Blind to start playing like a good little grinder and you are dealt A(h) 4(h) K(d) 5(d)

UTG limps as does the button, SB pots it up to £2.25 and you call with your marginal holding feeling the two limps will also flat call.  You have no notes on the UTG or Button but your notes on the SB is that he is a good LAG but plays too many hands preflop in your opinion (from your small sample of roughly 7 hours play over the last fortnight he seems to play between 65% and 75% of hands and normally always raises an unraised pot)

£10 in the pot and the flop is Q(h) 4(c) 2(h).  The SB leads out with a half pot bet of £5.

What do you do?

Comments

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited April 2010
    The half-pot bet looks weak from the pre-flop raiser with 3 people to act after him.
    You have nut flush draw and gutshot 2nd nut straight draw on a non-paired flop so I wouldn't be passing in your position.
    However, with two more players to act after you (and you have no notes on them) you need to be a little careful.
    I'd call in your position.
    If one or both of the two later players also call then this works out as pretty good pot odds to hit your draws.
    If they both fold then you have position on your opponent with the chance to take the pot away if he shows more weakness on the later streets.
    If either of them re-pots then you probably have to let go unless they all stay in, in which case I'd probably be all-in and trying to hit my draws.
    The more people in the pot, the more likely it is that more than one has flopped a set (since none of them can be drawing to the nut flush) and hence it is less likely that any of them will make a full house by the end of the hand (as their outs are reduced).

Apologies for rambling.
  • Options
    LlamamanLlamaman Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2010
    I would be raising.

I don't like flatting here too much, your making your hand really obvious. If your up against a good LAG then they will not pay you off if another diamond comes and will probably continue betting a blank turn with anything.

Raising gives you some fold equity and makes your hand look like a set or good 2 pair. If you get raised again then you'll know your against a set and can make a fold/shove decision based stack sizes and your equity - your about 38% to win with your gutshot and flush draw if he just has a plain set.

The fact that you have 2 people behind you does make this tempting to just call and hope you can catch out someone with a lower flush but I don't think this will happen enough of the time to make it justifiable.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Both of your options occurred to me, however with the two behind yet to act I decided to flat and go for the draw.

So a flat call of £5 is made, one of the limpers behind calls and the second one folds.  The turn card, boom, 9(h).  The SB checks, what do we do?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Check.
    We're a bit nutty and let's hope that the guy behind will make some action.
    We may be letting someone catch a boat to beat us on the river but disguising our nut hand may get us paid on the river and we may hit "value town" if the guy behind us bets the turn and the SB calls.
    I'm an optimist.
    I'm sure that proper Omaha players would bet their nut hand on the turn.
    On the other hand, if we are still nut after the river (i.e. the board doesn't pair) I guess that we're not getting paid for a decent bet by anyone holding anything less than a really good flush so I guess we should try to get value on the turn.

On second thoughts, bet weakly on the turn. This has two benefits.
    1. Anyone holding a set will at least call for "implied" odds.
    2. We may induce a shove by one of the other two players.

So, definitely don't check. Bet weakly.
  • Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Omaha Make Your Play:
    Good Evening Ladies & Gents Thought I'd throw this hand out there for you.  I'll post the later streets tomorrow or the weekend but for now, let's go to the flop.  (this is an actual hand that I played but one that IMO could have played out in many different ways). The set up: It's your first hand in a 25p/50p PLO six handed cash game.  You've waited for the Big Blind to start playing like a good little grinder and you are dealt A(h) 4(h) K(d) 5(d) UTG limps as does the button, SB pots it up to £2.25 and you call with your marginal holding feeling the two limps will also flat call.  You have no notes on the UTG or Button but your notes on the SB is that he is a good LAG but plays too many hands preflop in your opinion (from your small sample of roughly 7 hours play over the last fortnight he seems to play between 65% and 75% of hands and normally always raises an unraised pot) £10 in the pot and the flop is Q(h) 4(c) 2(h).  The SB leads out with a half pot bet of £5. What do you do?
    Posted by TommyD
    The more I read it, the more it sounds like me.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Make Your Play:
    Both of your options occurred to me, however with the two behind yet to act I decided to flat and go for the draw. So a flat call of £5 is made, one of the limpers behind calls and the second one folds.  The turn card, boom, 9(h).  The SB checks, what do we do?
    Posted by TommyD
    SB probably has anything from AA to a set.
    Person behind you has good 2 pair or a lower flush.

I would raise here as would most other people I think. Half to 3/4 pot would be good, less if you know your opponents are disciplined and could lay down a set here, more if you have no reads or you know they pay off a lot in these situations.

• Options
    andyrandyr Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2010
    i fold cause andyr always has the nuts on all streets - lol
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i fold cause andyr always has the nuts on all streets - lol
    Posted by andyr
    lol Andy.

Yes, he is the SB in this hand.

Ok now the next stage.  I admit this was a risky play and maybe the wrong play.  I checked in the hope that my read on the player behind was correct (smaller flush) and that he would bet.  Sadly he checked behind.

The River card pairs the turn:  9(s)

Andy/SB blind now leads out with a £25 bet.  What do we do?
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Omaha Make Your Play : lol Andy. Yes, he is the SB in this hand. Ok now the next stage.  I admit this was a risky play and maybe the wrong play.  I checked in the hope that my read on the player behind was correct (smaller flush) and that he would bet.  Sadly he checked behind. The River card pairs the turn:  9(s) Andy/SB blind now leads out with a £25 bet.  What do we do?
    Posted by TommyD
    URGH!

FOLD, hes got a boat!

personally id have put a nice raise in on the turn, not given my self the problem of this river decision
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Standard fold and I don't think SB is bluffing here much.

Even if SB is LAG I can't really imagine this being a spot to bluff in - you've got 2 players behind you who flatted the flop so they could easily had 2 pair and boated up on the river. Betting out pot here would be pretty bad without the nuts.

• Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited April 2010
    I check.  Check I'm on a TV Mastercash table, realise the error of my ways, stand up and find a table where I have a chance of being TV tarted.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If I read it correctly, he's pot bet on the river.
    Sadly, we have to fold our nut flush on a paired board.