You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Confused: Bad beat? Bad play by me? Bad raise by opponent?

FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I never whinge about bad beats. Ever. But if I do, could you remind me of the following please:

Three quarters of the way through a massive tournament last night, and holding about 20bb, I picked up Jack, nine suited (in the big blind). Just one player in mid/late position min raised, and it folded around to me. I called (knowing I was out of position, but thinking it was cheap). The flop came nine high giving me the pair, and I led out with a pot-sized bet – just wanting to close this down immediately, and take the chips in the middle. 

Matey-Boy came right over the top of me – in a big way too seriously by half – and I just shoved the lot in... really without thinking  too much – which is obviously very bad.

He called with pocket Jacks. The turn brought a third nine... and seeing as I'd stolen one of Matey-Boy's outs, he lost out.

Looking back on it... I'd been sitting there very patiently for yonks, doing nothing until this hand showed up and let me in cheap. I definitely didn't give it as much thought as the situation deserved, and clearly got lucky on this occasion.

My questions are: Did I dish out a bad beat? I can't work out whether my play was shocking, or whether the opponent was taking a big risk by min-raising with Jacks.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    edited April 2010
    Guilty parties aplenty.  I say we write this one off and put it down to vandals.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited April 2010
    His min raise with pocket jacks is horrible IMO - After that it plays as i would expect
  • Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010
    Personally for me the min raise with JJ is awful so he was wrong there. the flop really confuses me, you bet out and rightly so but he re-raises massively, hes gotta think his JJ is good so surely a more sizeable raise would have been suitable, but anyway your shove by that point it was only shove or fold and it is not a bad move either way you can't constantly think over pairs or over kicked its just one of them hands.

Its not a bad beat to him yes you got lucky but you got your money in where you thought it was good just unlucky to run into an overpair that has you dominated, he had played it badly pre letting you in so really its just one of them variance hands that you just smile if you win and laugh or cry depending if your on the losing end nothing wrong at all.
  • Options
    CLIOKIDCLIOKID Member Posts: 783
    edited April 2010
    Why lead into the raiser if you aren't prepared to lay down to further strength from him in the form of a re-raise?

If you think you have the best hand, why not check to induce a bluff?

Or was your play just a close your eyes and hope for the best as you don't really have any sort of idea what the opponent has? Did you put the villain on any sort of a range?

Yes min-raising with JJ is horrible but I have to say I think you played the hand a bit worse, no offence.