You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sky Dave asks "What Would You Do?" (19.04.10)

Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Morning all at Sky Poker.

While most of the UK has had that spring feel about it (that and a lack of planes overhead), some of us simply can't get away from the tables. Just as well I have wireless connection so I wasn't totally lacking sun. Here's a hand I had on a lazy Sunday afternoon and I wondered what you would do on the river...

We're playing this hand against an unknown player in a 6-max game. We've only just joined the table so there's little to comment on in terms of our table image or theirs. That always makes life a little trickier…

The hand is (in my opinion at least) standard enough until the turn, when I get check-raised the minimum. What do we make of my turn call and more importantly, what would YOU do on the river when the villain bets £15.

Blinds and stack sizes

Blinds: 25p/50p.

CO: £53.00

Hero (BTN): £50.50

SB: £51.05

Villain (BB): £48.50

UTG: £65.95

MP: £51.65

Pre Flop: (£0.75) Hero is BTN with As-Js

3 folds, Hero raises to £1.50, 1 fold, BB calls £1

Flop: (£3.25) Ac-6h-6s (2 players)

BB checks, Hero bets £1.50, BB calls £1.50

Turn: (£6.25) 2d (2 players)

BB checks, Hero bets £3.00, BB raises to £7, Hero calls £4

River: (£20.25) 5d (2 players)

BB bets £15.00, Hero ?

Comments

• Options
    luvBWFCluvBWFC Member Posts: 763
    edited April 2010
    Hard one with no info. Certainly not a raise all in. Call or fold is the question
  • Options
    SolarCarroSolarCarro Member Posts: 2,273
    edited April 2010
    Hi Dave

I think I fold to the check raise, appreciate that may be over tight but with no info and new to the table that would be my play, I have him on A6, I think as he had 50p invested he feels another pound to see a flop with A6 is worth it enabling him to get out if he misses the flop, I think he catches the flop and slow plays, there is no straight or flush danger and as you bet he calls to trap you later, having said that, if he has A6 he has the absolute nuts so I don't see why he would re-raise on the turn, he has no info on you so surely he would continue the slow play with a call? Maybe we can then put him on A2 as he bit on the turn when a 2 came. A £15 bet after the 5 though would suggest he has not got A2 (but perhaps 22 as Donut suggests), could he have missed and now £15 is designed to get you out of there?

Tricky one, I would FOLD  but I know plenty of people who would JAM in this situation.

Dave 
  • Options
    Donut64Donut64 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited April 2010
    I hope you called because Im curious what they had. I feel they are making a move with a pocket pair or rag ace! But the betting also suggests they had pocket ducks and of course they could have called with 56 or 67 suited or unsuited if loose player. Please dont tell me they won with 34 or pocket5s because if they did 34 they should have put down after the bet on the flop the fives would be just to brutal. In conclusion I call. P.S. I only play MTTs and sit and go games so my thinking will be a little different to cash players. So possibly wrong!
  • Options
    lynx3ffectlynx3ffect Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2010
    i guess with no info its a fold on turn, as played you should have called on that river and prob puked when they showed 56s. I think its rarely a bluff on that board as its so dry so shud be a relatively easy fold on turn.
    i dont like your bet sizing on flop or turn, way too small, esp turn, you should be looking for max value as any A7-AT and 77+ is still calling there
    if you have reads then it depends on what villains calling range is pre OOP, if suited conns are in that range then turn is fold 
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited April 2010
    I'm folding then logging this hand in my memory bank and watching everything they do in the future.
  • Options
    Donut64Donut64 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited April 2010
    The reason I think he could call after the flop with any pocket pair including 2s is that if their was another weak bet after the turn he could re- raise to show immense strength and if he was then called he could put in a bigger bet on the end feeling safe that you dont have the 6. So I still say call!

w
  • Options
    benny_hallbenny_hall Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010

I think he’s likely to have a 6 with a suited connector.
    Its a cheap call at only an extra £1 when he has £50 and can easily just fold if he doesn’t hit a board that is flushing/straightening or is low and likely to have him ahead.

Hero’s raise preflop along with the bet of £1.50 and £3 after the turn look to me like you could have the A and your trying to milk Villain. But Villains check call and then check raise looks like a slow play to me.

Once hero has bet £3 and then called Villains re-raise up to £7 and have not re-re-raised I think Villain knows he has his customer. The £15 to me looks like a bet that you might call with all your previous bets, you didn’t re-raise his £7 so he probably thinks if he checks after the river you will check and if he bets, it’s unlikely you will re-raise so £15 might be a nice topper with a chance of getting paid.

There is the option of Villain having A? And thinking he was beating you but I don’t see the bet of £15 when its likely kickers will play.

He could have had Deuces as said in another post but with a flop of A,6,6 and hero made the pre flop raise and bets after flop  I’m not sure he calls with his 2’s.

I think Fold is the correct option,

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited April 2010
    Bet fold turn.
  • Options
    DeuceAK_47DeuceAK_47 Member Posts: 381
    edited April 2010

Flop- 1/2 pot bet is fine as it is a dry board.

Turn-would definely make it bigger than 1/2 pot and call a small raise to re-evaluate the river.

River-call a small bet (im taking a note and folding to the £15 bet.)
  • Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2010
    hmm tricky play and tricky situation you have what is on the board top 2 pair by the river but the hand in general.

Pre flop the raise 3x is good will thin the field down nicely to a tight table, possible to get some maniacs come along but unlikely. As your new to the table image cannot factor into the hand at all not in your mind or your opponents. When it is HU to the flop its a case of playing on feel in terms of bets and texture of the board.

Flop comes a paired board with you hitting top pair, you bet out the same amount as the pre-flop raise, which perhaps shows slight weakness in turn causes the villain to call it down and see a turn card. At this point I would have him either on an Ace or he has a 6 and is slow playing it.

The turn comes a 2 again the villain checks and at this point the 2 looks like a blank and possibly is a blank, but again I don't like the bet of £3, for me I am always looking around the 2/3 to 3/4 pot bet to show strength, reckoning your ahead I would have gone for a 2/3 pot bet, it shows strength so he is less likely to push with a missed hand and try and push you off, but its not too big to make him fold a reasonable hands in and around a range of {AT,A3}, but anyways the £3 bet has been made and he has just over min raised you, this is either massive strength or an attempt to show strength but obviously the check raise in itself shows strength, but given the texture of the board I would have to either fold or make the flat call as he could have slow played a monster on the flop then the second weakish bet would have him try and build the pot, however if I do call I would have to be wary of the what information he gives on the river. At this point I would have him on a range like, {AK,AQ}{AT,A2}{55,22}{K6,Q6,J6,67} and perhaps K2, Q2 most probably suited for them to play it pre flop. There is still not much that beats you in his hand range and perhaps a lot could be discarded as he would not really play too many hands to a 3x raise without information on the opponent.

The river card comes a 5 and the Villain bets out £15 which is 3/4 pot, perfect sized bet to show absolute strength, I think after putting myself in this spot I would have to fold I no longer like my AJ as there are a lot of hands that beat me, any 6, AK AQ 22 and 55 so its really hard to make the call, no way would I raise all in not this early in a session as it would be a semi bluff as at this point you have to think you are behind. If you were to make the call it would be really a crying call hoping your hand holds up but still gotta reckon your behind. 

Personally I think bigger bets earlier in the hand would have been able to give you more information about the hand as it would have been more strength shown on your part and if they were playing 22 or 55 they are more likely to fold and if they are playing a 6 they will raise it up to show they are strong but also to build the pot.
  • Options
    J10acesJ10aces Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    With no reads, the min c/r does not make sense with a rag ace that you are beating. I call turn and fold to a bet on the river.

• Options
    N1CKN1CK Member Posts: 1,453
    edited April 2010
    id call the chk raise and fold the river, hes showing up with some kind of x6 hand or pocket 2s most of the time here, he could have a bigger ace but you would expect him to 3 bet pre, i think if he had an ace with weak kicker id expect him to check the river for cheap show down as you called his turn c/r
  • Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited April 2010
    Bet more on the flop. Bet more on turn. Readless pass turn to a check raise. As played pass river - he has trips or AQ or maybe even a weird AK. 
  • Options
    Buster69Buster69 Member Posts: 135
    edited April 2010
    Hmm this is a tough one as you have no information but with no flushes and the only straight out there would mean the guy was holding 34 i think i make the flat call definitely no raise either fold or call i think both are fine but in my personal opinion i make the call because i am curios about the way the hand is played