You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Low limit help

jimmy528jimmy528 Member Posts: 8
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ive only been on here a few weeks. i have built my bankroll up from £5 to £13 playing mainly £.60 DYM and and an odd £1.15 DYM. i was jst wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to further build my bankroll. i have been trying to stick to the 5% bankroll rule for each game, would it be with straying from this rule or not safe in the long run? thanks for any responses.  

Comments

• Options
    Strat91Strat91 Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

If your a good low stakes DYM player you can play 10% of your BR. As its a DYM the variance is lower compared to standard sit n go's or multi table tournaments. Over roughly 500 £3.30 DYM games the most I lost in a row is 4. And DYM games are such a great/easy way to build up a bankroll. Good luck. And remember stick to bankroll management.

• Options
    jimmy528jimmy528 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2010

Thanks mate. might sound really stupid but what is variance? ive seen people mention it before but i dont know exactly what it means. sorry for the novice questions.

• Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    If I was you I'd definitly stick to the 5% rule, mainly just for the safe feeling it gives you, knowing you can't go bust unless you run extremely bad.

Also as an example playing £1.15 dym's again for the first time I lost my first 5 games which was pretty tough, then had good run to go close to 2-1 cashing. Then on one day I lost my first 7 games which was a real tilt creater. In the end I built up £22 after around 230 games so it balanced itself out. But if you use 10% rule there is a chance it could go badly and if it does it could affect your decisions if you only have 4-5 buy ins remaining.
  • Options
    Strat91Strat91 Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Low limit help:
    If I was you I'd definitly stick to the 5% rule, mainly just for the safe feeling it gives you, knowing you can't go bust unless you run extremely bad. Also as an example playing £1.15 dym's again for the first time I lost my first 5 games which was pretty tough, then had good run to go close to 2-1 cashing. Then on one day I lost my first 7 games which was a real tilt creater. In the end I built up £22 after around 230 games so it balanced itself out. But if you use 10% rule there is a chance it could go badly and if it does it could affect your decisions if you only have 4-5 buy ins remaining.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Fair enough dudeskin 5% is fine but I just found 10% was good for me playing DYM games on sky. 
    Variance describes the effect of that chance element in the short-term. For example you could get your money in 70% favourite 4 times in a row in a dym game, get unlucky and lose all 4. But poker is all about making profit in the long term. Over a life time of poker luck almost becomes irrelevant. Look at it like this:

1 Poker Hand – Chance predominates
    100 Poker Hands – Skill begins to have an influence
    1000 Poker Hands – Skill now the single biggest factor
    10000 Poker Hands – The effect of chance now minimal
    100,000 Poker Hands – The effect of chance now all but gone.

I hope this could help. Any other questions feel free to ask.