You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Call, raise or shove?

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Cash game, 10p/20p

Given the way the table's been playing I'm 99% certain that I'm way ahead here but it all started to get a little bit crazy.

Player 1 has been busy with silly little raises from any position & calling raises from any position too. He's been involved in too many hands to make me think he's particularly big here. Most of the hands he's been involved in though haven't gone to showdown (he's either taken it pre or on the flop) but the 2 I remember going to showdown was 1 where he'd called in early position with A5o & one where he'd raised in late position with 75s.

Player 2 worries me slightly more with the flat call here but without 4 betting me I feel confident that he doesn't have the one hand I really don't want to see. My guess is that it's a kind of AK/AQ/AJ type of hand or maybe a lower pair. He hasn't particularly been overly busy but has seen a few flops, mainly in position.

I'm not in the least bothered by shorty shoving. It's probable that he's got almost any ace or even a KQ/KJ kind of hand & with my initial raise it's not much more even if he does have AA.

When player 1 flats the all in what's the best move here. In my mind I've got 3 realistic options (& folding ain't one of them!)

1 - Flat call. If I flat here I'm fairly confident that player 2 also flats & I can try to see a safe flop. If the ace appears then I've got an opportunity to get away fairly cheap. The reason I don't particularly like taking this line is because PF I'm 99% certain I'm ahead & don't want to waste an opportunity.
2 - 5 bet re-raise.Ignoring shorty here I still don't really want to go to the flop multi way so what bet realistically gets rid of at least one of the remaining players here? I figure that £5/£6 might still price them in, in which case I may need to make it somewhere nearer £10 but then surely I'm pot committed?
3 - Shove.This should flush out drawing hands that could easily outdraw me & I'm also thinking that the pots fairly juicy as it is so maybe HU against shorty wouldn't be the worst outcome as there's less chance of being outdrawn?

Like I say, I'm 99% certain that I'm ahead pre here & although I'm sure I'm up against one ace due to previous play & betting patterns I'm very confident I'm not up against AA.

What do people think is the best line here?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SHORTY Small blind £0.10 £0.10 £4.17
------ Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £17.12
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

PLAYER 1 Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £25.87
silentbob Raise  £2.20 £3.30 £15.98
PLAYER 2 Call  £2.20 £5.50 £15.92
SHORTY All-in  £4.17 £9.67 £0.00
------ Fold     
PLAYER 1 Call  £3.47 £13.14 £22.40
silentbob ??? ?????????

Comments

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    Right hand in air, fist pumping all the while, oh and click arrrrr eeeeeeeeeen
  • Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call, raise or shove?:
    Posted by beaneh
    I prefer the left fist pump in this spot.
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    Get it in !!
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited May 2010
    Surely you have to raise to at least like £10... thats 2/3 your remaining stack... so ye just shove. Sick spot for you, must feel good. Sick as in good btw.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Posted by beaneh
    Btw... do people actually move their hands in the air when they shove... i.e fist pump with right/left hand depending on preference... or is it just a figure of speech?

I personally just click the button... but each to their own!

oh and bean... i get the impression that your mexican... not sure why :S
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call, raise or shove? : Btw... do people actually move their hands in the air when they shove... i.e fist pump with right/left hand depending on preference... or is it just a figure of speech? I personally just click the button... but each to their own! oh and bean... i get the impression that your mexican... not sure why :S
    Posted by BlackFish3

cos i always say arrrrrr eeeeeeeeeeen?!!?

Personally I am clicking the mouse with my right, once i'm all in though I run round the room with 1 finger (from right hand obv) in the air ala Alan Shearer. 
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call, raise or shove? : cos i always say arrrrrr eeeeeeeeeeen?!!? Personally I am clicking the mouse with my right, once i'm all in though I run round the room with 1 finger (from right hand obv) in the air ala Alan Shearer. 
    Posted by beaneh
    that must be it!! couldn't quite put my finger on your mexican-ness lol. do you do the whole shirt over the head thing? Or have you knocked over a lamp or 2 and cut back on the celebrations?
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited May 2010
    ITS A SHOVE FOR ME YOUR ONLY BEHIND TO 1 HAND YOUR SUMMING UP OF THE TWO PLAYERS MEANS IMO YOUR UP AGAINST A10 UPWARDS FRON THE SHORTY AND POSSIBLY ANYTHING FROM THE OTHER GUY THE RERAISE AGAINST HIM IF HE CALLS LEAVES YOU IN THE SAME POSITION IF AN ACE COMES IN ON THE FLOP YOU STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHERE YOU ARE AGAINST HIS UBER LOOSE PLAYER.
  • Options
    CLIOKIDCLIOKID Member Posts: 783
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Call, raise or shove? : that must be it!! couldn't quite put my finger on your mexican-ness lol. do you do the whole shirt over the head thing? Or have you knocked over a lamp or 2 and cut back on the celebrations?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    The fist pump can be a dangerous thing unless you wait till the river. Fist in the air quickly turns into a fist into a downward trajectory aimed at the laptop when you get rivered.
  • Options
    MohicanMohican Member Posts: 1,421
    edited May 2010
    insta shove, without hesitation.
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited May 2010
    Cheers guys good to know my thinking was along the right lines here.

I'm not a shove monkey by nature (particularly when this deep!) but I just thought that a realistic re-raise here is a good £10 & then I'm not only committed but also won't know where I am if the ace flops. So in it all went & to my surprise not only did BOTH players call me but I was also right in my reading of the situation (something I'm not always good at)

The final outcome here is irrelevant as I got my money in good, however despite player 1 getting a reasonable price (little over 3/1) would anyone else make the call with his cards?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    SHORTY Small blind £0.10 £0.10 £4.17
    ------ Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £17.12
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

PLAYER 1 Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £25.87
    silentbob Raise  £2.20 £3.30 £15.98
    PLAYER 2 Call  £2.20 £5.50 £15.92
    SHORTY All-in  £4.17 £9.67 £0.00
    ------ Fold     
    PLAYER 1 Call  £3.47 £13.14 £22.40
    silentbob All-in  £15.98 £29.12 £0.00
    PLAYER 2 All-in  £15.92 £45.04 £0.00
    PLAYER 1 Call  £13.91 £58.95 £8.49
    SHORTY Show
    • A

PLAYER 1 Show

silentbob Show
    • K
    • K

PLAYER 2 Show
    • J
    • J

Flop

Turn

River

• A

PLAYER 1 Win Flush to the Ace £57.15  £65.64
  • Options
    kokiallkokiall Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2010
    makes you want to give up poker .its happened to all of us.me personally wouldnt have gone with 6-8c