You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

etiquette- did i do anything wrong?

MOUSEY1974MOUSEY1974 Member Posts: 26
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
hi guys, im quite new to playing poker and i've been playing on sky for about 4 months, heres my query which i hope someone can answer:  I was playing £5000 gtd tourny, i was small blind 25 with A 10 off suit. player 1 after the big blind called, player 2 raised it 200, player 3 called, player 4 folded. I then just called for 175. The big blind then went all in for 765, player 1 folded, player 2 called for 615, player 3 folded making pot of 2080. I then went all in with 2427 hoping that player 2 would fold, because i thought the big blind didnt have much because he was short stacked. Player 2 did fold but then started to give me lots of verbal in the chat box calling me stupid etc etc, big blind had pair kings but i hit with my ace and won the hand. Did i do anything wrong or did player 2 just not like it? I would appreciate any feed back please, thanks   wayne

Comments

• Options
    Donut64Donut64 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited May 2010
    Their your cards and you can play them anyway you want. You will always get the odd person with an attitude just ignore them or do what I do and send them am message like thank you :) The good thing here is if you go in next time with AK or a big pair they could call you a little lighter than they normally would! What you dont do is change your play to suit others! Enjoy your poker and just laugh if others get lippy!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: etiquette- did i do anything wrong?:
    Their your cards and you can play them anyway you want. You will always get the odd person with an attitude just ignore them or do what I do and send them am message like thank you :) The good thing here is if you go in next time with AK or a big pair they could call you a little lighter than they normally would! What you dont do is change your play to suit others! Enjoy your poker and just laugh if others get lippy!
    Posted by Donut64
    THANKS DONUT64, MUCH APPRECIATED, I DIDNT WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT HIM GIVING ME VERBAL, I CAN TAKE THAT ITS TO BE EXPECTED BUT AS I SAID I THOUGHT THERE MAYBE SOME SORT OF TYPE OF BETTING OR RAISING THAT ALTHOUGH NOT ILLEGAL, WAS LIKE THE UNWRITTEN RULE THAT U DIDNT DO, AS I SAID STILL BIT OF A NOVICE BUT LEARNING SLOWLY AND REALLY ENJOYING IT, THANKS! ;)
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited May 2010
    UNWRITTEN RULE THAT U DIDNT DO, you got it in one :)
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited May 2010
    Were you on a bubble (cash or final table)? If not I see absolutely no reason for flat calling and checking down. Even on a cash bubble I'd probably go the aggro route.
    If he's that bothered maybe player 2 should have repopped it to isolate you?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    UNWRITTEN RULE THAT U DIDNT DO, you got it in one :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    acebarry10 are you saying i shouldnt of gone all in when i did? instead of flat calling the initial raise from player 2 should i have gone all in then? Surely in a tournament the name of the game is to win as much chips as you can, i appreciate if its close to the bubble call it and check it down, but in this case i felt i had best hand and wanted to protect it????
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Were you on a bubble (cash or final table)? If not I see absolutely no reason for flat calling and checking down. Even on a cash bubble I'd probably go the aggro route. If he's that bothered maybe player 2 should have repopped it to isolate you?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    no we had only been playing about 10 mins, no-where near the bubble, player 2 had been quite agressive in previous hands, seemed to me he just didnt like it back?
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited May 2010
    Yep, seems he was just being a muppet.
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited May 2010
    You paid your money, so play the cards the way you want.

The only time this would ever really even be a consideration would be if you were on the bubble. In those cases you might find it more beneficial to 'check down' a hand where you're hoping as a collective to eliminate a player so you (the collective) make the money.

Even then, saying you're doing as much is unethical; it's one of those unwritten rules.

Enjoy your poker and good luck at the tables.

Sky Dave
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yep, seems he was just being a muppet.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Much appreciated noseybonk! cheers
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You paid your money, so play the cards the way you want. The only time this would ever really even be a consideration would be if you were on the bubble. In those cases you might find it more beneficial to 'check down' a hand where you're hoping as a collective to eliminate a player so you (the collective) make the money. Even then, saying you're doing as much is unethical; it's one of those unwritten rules. Enjoy your poker and good luck at the tables. Sky Dave
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    cheers sky dave i appreciate you replying thanks all  :)
  • Options
    LOL_RAISELOL_RAISE Member Posts: 2,188
    edited May 2010
    its perfectly fine to do as you effectively have when it works an extra "dead" bet in there meaning you need alot less equity in the pot for it to be +ev. however your line makes no sense whatsoever and i would imagine you are never getting a better hand to fold ever
  • Options
    STEVEMAXSTEVEMAX Member Posts: 489
    edited May 2010
    There your chips,your cards you can do

what you want with them.

Just another BAD LOSER...

Good luck on the tables.

Steve....
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited May 2010
    No, you didn't do anything wrong. Well played, ignore pathetic chatbox abuse, it says 100x more about the loudmouth than it says about you.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    its perfectly fine to do as you effectively have when it works an extra "dead" bet in there meaning you need alot less equity in the pot for it to be +ev. however your line makes no sense whatsoever and i would imagine you are never getting a better hand to fold ever
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    thanks LOL, should probably of mentioned that Ace 10 is my favourite hand to play but yeah i understand that its gonna lose me more hands than i win, although, as in this case, it has been quite lucky for me in the past, cheers
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There your chips,your cards you can do what you want with them. Just another BAD LOSER... Good luck on the tables.   Steve....
    Posted by STEVEMAX
    thanks steve...good luck too!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No, you didn't do anything wrong. Well played, ignore pathetic chatbox abuse, it says 100x more about the loudmouth than it says about you.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Much appreciated Gary thanks, i'd just like to thank everyone who has replyed to my post thanks guys, good luck at the tables!! ;)
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited May 2010
    The unwritten rule is that on the bubble you would flat call and check down in order to not risk either yours or the other opponents tournament life but have 2 hands to take to showdown against the all in player (so more cards to showdown = higher chance of knocking out the shorty)

This didn't apply in this situation and rather than doing anything wrong i think you made a bold play, knowing what you were doing and why (as you mentioned you were trying to push out the other player with chips) and got exactly what you wanted. Strong play should be applauded
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited May 2010
    Yeah great shove imo and if the moaner in question had a better hand then wd to you for making him fold it.dav
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The unwritten rule is that on the bubble you would flat call and check down in order to not risk either yours or the other opponents tournament life but have 2 hands to take to showdown against the all in player (so more cards to showdown = higher chance of knocking out the shorty) This didn't apply in this situation and rather than doing anything wrong i think you made a bold play, knowing what you were doing and why (as you mentioned you were trying to push out the other player with chips) and got exactly what you wanted. Strong play should be applauded
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    THANKS ACES MUCH APPRECIATED!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah great shove imo and if the moaner in question had a better hand then wd to you for making him fold it.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    CHEERS DAV, YEAH THE OVERALL OPINION IS THAT IT WAS A GOOD PLAY BUT I APPRECIATE THAT I SHOULD PLAY IT DIFFERENTLY IF ON THE BUBBLE. THANKS ALL!