You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Need help on this hand.

WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I have no reads on opponent as I'm too busy reading some threads.  I want to know is my bet on the flop too big?  Does it commit me?  Should I call the turn for value or is the fold leaving myself with ten big blinds fine?  I think I've snookered myself.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
cooper1990 Small blind  50.00 50.00 6777.50
mimina24 Big blind  100.00 150.00 2210.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

athens1969 Fold     
puma100 Fold     
Reen Fold     
Wilhelm Raise  300.00 450.00 3075.00
cooper1990 Call  250.00 700.00 6527.50
mimina24 Fold     
Flop

• Q

cooper1990 Bet  350.00 1050.00 6177.50
Wilhelm Raise  1400.00 2450.00 1675.00
cooper1990 Call  1050.00 3500.00 5127.50
Turn

• J

cooper1990 All-in  5127.50 8627.50 0.00
Wilhelm Fold     
cooper1990 Muck     
cooper1990 Win  8627.50  8627.50

Comments

• Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    I would just shove the flop myself, that board is so dangerous, the guy has 6k so wont fold for much but if he wants to call 3k on a draw good luck to him. By putting half your stack in you're pot commited but then the horror card comes so you have to make the fold.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010

That's really gross, I think I would fold the (sorry meant turn) and look for a better spot on sky. UL.
  • Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2010
    harsh got to fold turn probably only a king can save you. horrible though. im guessing this is a low stakes DYM  because of your bankroll challenge? if so im probably shoving the flop.
  • Options
    DeuceAK_47DeuceAK_47 Member Posts: 381
    edited May 2010
    fold river
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Actually this was a turbo MTT.  It seems unanimous that I made the correct fold, but I never thought of shoving the flop.  Surely I am only getting called by a better hand.  The up-side is that I can take the pot down there and then or get my money in as a good favourite against a draw if he really wants to gamble.  Interesting stuff.  But no-one thinks I was commited?  I mean, I was playing low-stakes, I don't think he is forced to have a straight.  I'm thinking now it could have been a hand like AQ.  Admittedly I am losing to KQ and Q8, but can anyone make a case for calling the turn?
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited May 2010
    i would just call flop tbh
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Need help on this hand.:
    i would just call flop tbh
    Posted by offshoot
    Why?
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited May 2010
    because against a lot of hands youre basically 50/50 like pair + straight draws or slightly behind if they have Q or J + flush draw. and youre already losing to made straights and 2 pair hands. If they have weaker hands than that then i dont mind letting them see the turn. No shame in not shovelling the chips in when youve got aces if it saves you from going broke.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    because against a lot of hands youre basically 50/50 like pair + straight draws or slightly behind if they have Q or J + flush draw. and youre already losing to made straights and 2 pair hands. If they have weaker hands than that then i dont mind letting them see the turn. No shame in not shovelling the chips in when youve got aces if it saves you from going broke.
    Posted by offshoot
    Fair point.  What do you do on the turn if a blank comes?
  • Options
    ajs4385ajs4385 Member Posts: 455
    edited May 2010

Shove and cross your fingers, I dont mind calling although I doubt your post flop abilities are up to playing down the streets so just keep it simple and shove flop. (I really didnt want to sound patronising am just trying to be honest).

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Shove and cross your fingers, I dont mind calling although I doubt your post flop abilities are up to playing down the streets so just keep it simple and shove flop. (I really didnt want to sound patronising am just trying to be honest).
    Posted by ajs4385
    For future reference, what am I giving off that suggests to you that my ability to play post-flop is inept?
  • Options
    mrrivaz05mrrivaz05 Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2010
    jam the flop
  • Options
    edited May 2010

In Response to Re: Need help on this hand. : For future reference, what am I giving off that suggests to you that my ability to play post-flop is inept?
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Because your playing some donkament, if you could play well post flop you would be playing 100nl cash games or higher  and making a nice amount every month.

People who are any good at poker 99% of time only play cash and only play donkaments for one of following resons, 1) a bit of fun 2) their getting free entry 3) they want to become a celebrity 4) like a fish they still arnt thinking enough about long term ev and just dreaming about first prize.

Reason is there is a lot of skill in poker when blinds are low to stack sizes, but when you OR your opponent has less than 15 bb there are a lot less decisions to make therefore less skill. Correct me if I am wrong but I have never seen a tourny that the last third of it isnt a complete cr ap shoot.

• Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Need help on this hand. : Because your playing some donkament, if you could play well post flop you would be playing 100nl cash games or higher  and making a nice amount every month. People who are any good at poker 99% of time only play cash and only play donkaments for one of following resons, 1) a bit of fun 2) their getting free entry 3) they want to become a celebrity 4) like a fish they still arnt thinking enough about long term ev and just dreaming about first prize. Reason is there is a lot of skill in poker when blinds are low to stack sizes, but when you OR your opponent has less than 15 bb there are a lot less decisions to make therefore less skill. Correct me if I am wrong but I have never seen a tourny that the last third of it isnt a complete cr ap shoot.
    Posted by ajs4385

Hard to play nl100 with a bankroll challenge of turning £1 into £100 
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Need help on this hand. : Hard to play nl100 with a bankroll challenge of turning £1 into £100 
    Posted by robc

Not on sky it's 10bb min sit down lol

And yeah I decided against writing out what AJS wrote. Also would you really be posting how to play aces on a co-ordinated board against a bunch of numpties if you really know what you were doing already?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Need help on this hand. : Hard to play nl100 with a bankroll challenge of turning £1 into £100 
    Posted by robc

Also if you where any good you wouldnt be pratting about with daft bankroll challenges. Before you say some big shot did it, (was it ferguson or negreanu cant remember). They got nothing better to do with their time as they have already got numerous millions in bank.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Need help on this hand. : Also if you where any good you wouldnt be pratting about with daft bankroll challenges. Before you say some big shot did it, (was it ferguson or negreanu cant remember). They got nothing better to do with their time as they have already got numerous millions in bank.
    Posted by ajs4385

Considering Ferguson owns part of FTP, him taking 100$ to 10k$ or whatever he did, was probably the most pointless thing ever, everyone knew he was a nit who cant bluff and that he had nothing better to do lol. The money he earnt from ftp in the time the challenge took him was probably 7 figures loooool
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yeah point taken beaneh. but surely people post hands to improve and learn. so just saying shove it all in cross your fingers as your not good enough to do anything else is kind of a pointless comment and would of probably been better off not giving any advice at all? and also is it so wrong to do a bankroll challenge for some fun? not everyone plays poker for a living especially on sky!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yeah point taken beaneh. but surely people post hands to improve and learn. so just saying shove it all in cross your fingers as your not good enough to do anything else is kind of a pointless comment and would of probably been better off not giving any advice at all? and also is it so wrong to do a bankroll challenge for some fun? not everyone plays poker for a living especially on sky!
    Posted by robc

Sorry I was going to post to your OP in the thread then forgot and just fired a quick response off to ajs. 

People play poker for many different reasons, what that reason is doesn't matter. 

If you don't have a bankroll then it's a good idea to try and create one/run one up. My point about ferguson was that he could have lost his money in one hand and made more money in interest on his earning that he could ever make from a 100$ bankroll.  He's not a normal player!

I'll send you a pm about this hand later when I get a min. :-)

edit rob i'm talking bout your other thread with JsJx
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Note- At no point have I stated that I "know what I am doing already" or that I am "any good".  So I shall concede the point.  You guys know what you are talking about, I don't.  Big whoop.  Furthermore, it is not "pointless" for me to turn £1 into £10,000, as I do not have millions in the bank, so I don't know you keep referencing Chris Ferguson.  In any case, I thank you kindly for your advice, and wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Kind regards

Wilhelm