You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Really need someone to listen...

Ads2kukAds2kuk Member Posts: 582
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hey guys,

Just came back from playing the Oxford Cup...136 runners...7k Pot...It was a £20 Rebuy.

I didn't rebuy once, only had an add on at the break...

24 players left...

Blinds: 1k/2k

Early position raises to 5k...Guy in mid position then re-raises to 21k (has 26k altogether...) - I look down and I've got AK, Im short stacked with 17k left. I think about it and decide to move em in.

The guy who originally raised to 5k from early position thinks about it for a couple of minutes and flat calls the 21k!

Flop:

Early position then pushes on the flop....He turns over 5/7!......

Now I'm sorry but can anyone REALLY justify that call pre flop this far in to a tournament at those levels!?

I'm doing my head in here, I would of had a 5th of the chips in the tournament if I won that hand and Im confident I could of gone on to cash extremely well or even won it!

Please someone is this bad or am I just taking a bad beat badly!?

By the way, Neil Channing was sat next to me on my table before he got knocked out....I managed to push on his big blind and won the pot so I've won a hand against Channing! Haha....Great humble guy by the way. Good ambassador for UK Poker.

Comments

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Really need someone to listen...:
    Hey guys, Just came back from playing the Oxford Cup...136 runners...7k Pot...It was a £20 Rebuy. I didn't rebuy once, only had an add on at the break... 24 players left... Blinds: 1k/2k Early position raises to 5k...Guy in mid position then re-raises to 21k (has 26k altogether...) - I look down and I've got AK, Im short stacked with 17k left. I think about it and decide to move em in. The guy who originally raised to 5k from early position thinks about it for a couple of minutes and flat calls the 21k! Flop: 3 7 7 Early position then pushes on the flop....He turns over 5/7!...... Now I'm sorry but can anyone REALLY justify that call pre flop this far in to a tournament at those levels!? I'm doing my head in here, I would of had a 5th of the chips in the tournament if I won that hand and Im confident I could of gone on to cash extremely well or even won it! Please someone is this bad or am I just taking a bad beat badly!? By the way, Neil Channing was sat next to me on my table before he got knocked out....I managed to push on his big blind and won the pot so I've won a hand against Channing! Haha....Great humble guy by the way. Good ambassador for UK Poker.
    Posted by Ads2kuk

So you and someone else are allin for 8 and 13 big blinds respectively and he is getting good odds on his money against what should be wide shoving ranges. With two live cards calling to hit a flop isn't a bad thing, and especially not in this case as he hit twips!

UL.

Edit this belongs more in general poker than the clinic fwiw.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That did cross my mind about him having the odds too call that but surely the hand has got to look even more shockingly bad when 2 people have pretty much pushed. Me and the other guy were waiting patiently for the right spot to shove aswell so the guy had a good enough read to know both hands were strong...

It's poker I know, had to moan about a beat but felt that could of been the one!! Lol
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Really need someone to listen...:
    That did cross my mind about him having the odds too call that but surely the hand has got to look even more shockingly bad when 2 people have pretty much pushed. Me and the other guy were waiting patiently for the right spot to shove aswell so the guy had a good enough read to know both hands were strong... It's poker I know, had to moan about a beat but felt that could of been the one!! Lol
    Posted by Ads2kuk

If he's got like A2 and you have been tight then he might feel his hand is crushed by your two shoving ranges. With two random low cards and you likely enough to have high cards and not normally be lucky enough to have a pair all he has to do is hit a pair with his hand and most likely that will be enough. Maybe use this as a way to learn and try and assign some ranges and work out where the threshold for his action lies depending on the assumptions you give about your and the other shovers play.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hmmmm okay.

Would you personally do flat call 21k pre flop against 2 others when you have 7 5 in lets say The Primo with 24players left...? I don't think many people will be?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Would depend on my stack size and your image and the other guys image. He mighta wanted to triple up or go to the bar lol It's live lol people do silly things.

You cant change his decision to call and you just have to put up with it, you played the hand the best you could and poker bum-med you :p Move on to the next hand tis all you can do.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah your right mate... "Thats Poker"....gotta love it!
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Really need someone to listen...:
    Yeah your right mate... "Thats Poker"....gotta love it!
    Posted by Ads2kuk

Yes  very  unlucky  Ads  as  I said  in the PM ..  My exit was  a cooler  but yours, well , it's  just the way the game is played in the modern times.. But  I did  enjoy the day ..  glk in the future Barry
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited May 2010
    Unlucky, not a nice way to go out.

This is a typical bad beat thread, nobody here is going to be able to explain crazy calls made by others.