You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Raise or Call?

Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
edited May 2010 in The Poker Clinic
gilch60 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.84
Adastra Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.52
  Your hole cards
  • A

lucky77777 Fold     
Dudeskin8 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £4.78
floyd1961 Fold     
gilch60 Fold     
Adastra Call  £0.08 £0.26 £1.44
Flop

• K

Adastra Bet  £0.13 £0.39 £1.31
Dudeskin8
I was just wondering in this position is it better to just see the turn fairly cheaply or should i raise it up with the big draw ? Baring in mind it's on 2p/4p.

Comments

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    Raise it up 35p to go ftw
  • Options
    zingzing Member Posts: 333
    edited May 2010
    both lines are fine i think
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Raise or Call?:
    both lines are fine i think
    Posted by zing

I'd rather raise here I think.
  • Options
    Eagle26Eagle26 Member Posts: 431
    edited May 2010
    def raise
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited May 2010
    In position here I'm raising. 

You were aggressive pre flop & I would say it's more likely he's hit his king rather than flopped the flush (& even if he has flopped the flush you're re-drawing to the nut flush) & you might even take the pot down there & then without having to hit.

The other reason for raising here is that it might buy you a free card later down the line. If you raise it & your oppo just calls he might check the turn to you which would then give you the choice between checking back & seeing a free card if another club doesn't land or betting out to try and take it down again (fwiw, I'd probably be checking back in that situation).
  • Options
    Eagle26Eagle26 Member Posts: 431
    edited May 2010
    In position here I'm raising.  You were aggressive pre flop & I would say it's more likely he's hit his king rather than flopped the flush (& even if he has flopped the flush you're re-drawing to the nut flush) & you might even take the pot down there & then without having to hit. The other reason for raising here is that it might buy you a free card later down the line. If you raise it & your oppo just calls he might check the turn to you which would then give you the choice between checking back & seeing a free card if another club doesn't land or betting out to try and take it down again (fwiw, I'd probably be checking back in that situation).
    Posted by silentbob
    spot on! just found out a hand i played earlier this morning, where this is a good example.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    HOTDOG55 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £22.18
    wolftones Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £8.43
      Your hole cards

Eagle26 Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £55.84
    xxxCall  £0.80 £1.90 £34.54
    lawlover Fold     
    HOTDOG55 Fold     
    wolftones Fold     
    Flop

• J
    • Q

Eagle26 Check     
    xxx Bet  £0.95 £2.85 £33.59
    Eagle26 Raise  £2.85 £5.70 £52.99
    xxx Call  £1.90 £7.60 £31.69
    Turn

Eagle26 Check     
    xxx Check     
    River

• A

Eagle26 Bet  £5.70 £13.30 £47.29
    xxx Call  £5.70 £19.00 £25.99
    Eagle26 Show

xxx Muck
    • Q
    • A

Eagle26 Win Flush to the Ace £18.05  £65.34
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited May 2010
    In position here I'm raising.  You were aggressive pre flop & I would say it's more likely he's hit his king rather than flopped the flush (& even if he has flopped the flush you're re-drawing to the nut flush) & you might even take the pot down there & then without having to hit. The other reason for raising here is that it might buy you a free card later down the line. If you raise it & your oppo just calls he might check the turn to you which would then give you the choice between checking back & seeing a free card if another club doesn't land or betting out to try and take it down again (fwiw, I'd probably be checking back in that situation).
    Posted by silentbob
    TBh when people bet out like he has I often look to what Hartigan says about why would you bet out a big hand, it would be better to check raise and get more value. On the flopped flush I never really think too much about this lol. I do like what you say about buying a free card on the turn which would be useful.

p.s. what does FWIW stand for lol ?
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Raise or Call? : TBh when people bet out like he has I often look to what Hartigan says about why would you bet out a big hand, it would be better to check raise and get more value. On the flopped flush I never really think too much about this lol. I do like what you say about buying a free card on the turn which would be useful. p.s. what does FWIW stand for lol ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    For What It's Worth.
  • Options
    SpikeladSpikelad Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2010

Well as Tikay would say when asked a straightforward question like this,it depends,if your opponent has been playing tight then call if he has been playing loose then raise.

However if you have not had enough hands to assess his play then Heads or Tails lol.