You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

WHY DO PEOPLE PUT THERE TOURNEY LIFE ON FLUSH DRAWS POST FLOP??

jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat

IM SICK TO THE BACK TEETH OF PLAYERS WHO SEE 2 SUITED CARDS IN THERE HAND THEN 2 ON THE FLOP AND THINK HERE WE GO LETS SHOVE!!! BEEN KNOCKED OUT OF THE BH TONIGHT AS HAD QQ IN THE SB...RAISED IT UP TO 600 BLINDS 100/200.... ONLY BB LEFT HE CALLED... FLOP CAME T 6 2 (2 DIAMONDS ON BOARD) TIME TO GET EXCITED...MATEY SHOVES 5K INTO A 1.2K POT.. GREAT KNOWLEDGE OF POT ODDS... I CALL HIM AS I FIGURE IM AHEAD AND HE HAS A T OR SUMTHING... HE FLIPS OVER A5 OF DIAMONDS AND SPIKES TO FLUSH HIM UP ON RIV....IM OUT AND THINKING DID I PLAY RIGHT I KNOW ITS A LOOSE TOURNEY AND I APPRECIATE THAT... BUT THIS EVEN HAPPENS IN OTHER TOURNEYS.... I CAN UNDERSTAND IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT OR HE WAS GOING TO FLOAT ME BUT IM QUICKLY LOSING FAITH IN THE GAME... EVERY TOURNEY IM DOING AT THE MOMEMNT IM GOING IN AHEAD 95% OF THE TIME BUT THEN GETTING DONE BY PEOPLE DRAWING WELL OVER THE ODDS AND STRIKING GOLD!!! I KNOW OF A FEW PLAYERS ON THIS SITE WHO ARE CAPABLE OF EITHER LAYING DOWN BIG FLUSH DRAWS OR SLOW PLAYING BY CONTROLLING THE POT....BUT SHOVING AGAINST THE ODDS IS BEYOND ME... AND I KNOW THE SAYING LONG/SHORT TERM... IT WILL EVEN ITSELF OUT VARIANCE ETC..BUT HOW MANY MORE TIMES... MAYBE I SHOULD ADOPT THIS STYLE AND SHOVE EVERYTIME THE BOARD APPEARS COLURFUL!!!!RANT OVER.....

Comments

• MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2009

Ok on the flop, you have 53.7% chance of winning and he has 46.3% chance of winning. So effectively you called for a coin flip... although obviously you were not to know this so unlucky. But people shove here to give them 2 ways of winning the pot. You are either raising on SB to steal or with a real hand. That flop looks like you would of missed so he shoved because most the time you will have missed the flop and would of had to fold. If you have an overpair or top pair then he is coin flipping. So it has nothing to do with pot odds. Just a standard coin flip, unlucky.

• LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited August 2009
    In Response to WHY DO PEOPLE PUT THERE TOURNEY LIFE ON FLUSH DRAWS POST FLOP??:
    IM SICK TO THE BACK TEETH OF PLAYERS WHO SEE 2 SUITED CARDS IN THERE HAND THEN 2 ON THE FLOP AND THINK HERE WE GO LETS SHOVE!!! BEEN KNOCKED OUT OF THE BH TONIGHT AS HAD QQ IN THE SB...RAISED IT UP TO 600 BLINDS 100/200.... ONLY BB LEFT HE CALLED... FLOP CAME T 6 2 (2 DIAMONDS ON BOARD) TIME TO GET EXCITED...MATEY SHOVES 5K INTO A 1.2K POT.. GREAT KNOWLEDGE OF POT ODDS... I CALL HIM AS I FIGURE IM AHEAD AND HE HAS A T OR SUMTHING... HE FLIPS OVER A5 OF DIAMONDS AND SPIKES TO FLUSH HIM UP ON RIV....IM OUT AND THINKING DID I PLAY RIGHT I KNOW ITS A LOOSE TOURNEY AND I APPRECIATE THAT... BUT THIS EVEN HAPPENS IN OTHER TOURNEYS.... I CAN UNDERSTAND IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT OR HE WAS GOING TO FLOAT ME BUT IM QUICKLY LOSING FAITH IN THE GAME... EVERY TOURNEY IM DOING AT THE MOMEMNT IM GOING IN AHEAD 95% OF THE TIME BUT THEN GETTING DONE BY PEOPLE DRAWING WELL OVER THE ODDS AND STRIKING GOLD!!! I KNOW OF A FEW PLAYERS ON THIS SITE WHO ARE CAPABLE OF EITHER LAYING DOWN BIG FLUSH DRAWS OR SLOW PLAYING BY CONTROLLING THE POT....BUT SHOVING AGAINST THE ODDS IS BEYOND ME... AND I KNOW THE SAYING LONG/SHORT TERM... IT WILL EVEN ITSELF OUT VARIANCE ETC..BUT HOW MANY MORE TIMES... MAYBE I SHOULD ADOPT THIS STYLE AND SHOVE EVERYTIME THE BOARD APPEARS COLURFUL!!!!RANT OVER.....
    Posted by jimbo31
    flush draws come in significantlry more often "than they should" on every site ive ever played,i think people have recognised this and simply play according to what usually happens and "not" what should happen percentage-wise.
  • mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited August 2009
    I think your all wrong, in the BH people go with draws or any rubbish to get chips or the bounty.
    Not good poker but if you dont like it, dont play BH's.
    I say this after getting knocked out by a rivered straight, but thats the way it goes in this tourny(unfortunatly)
    col
  • annie_dukeannie_duke Member Posts: 545
    edited August 2009
    to be fair he shoved on a 50/50 with flush draw and over-card....
  • DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2009
    Value & odds, especially in a BH
  • jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2009

I UNDERSTNAD VALUE ODDS ETC BH ETC ETC !!! BUT FOR UR TOURNEY LIFE¬!!! THATS THE QUESTION!!!

edited August 2009
    cos its easier to shove than call jimbo
  • jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2009
    FAIR POINT ANNIE ;-)
    edited August 2009
    plus flush always comes and QQ is $h1t on here lol......gl next time m8
  • _AppleMac__AppleMac_ Member Posts: 126
    edited August 2009

I think thats just the way it goes jimbo, its a semi bluff... was playing the deepy the other day and had pocket Jacks, make raise and mr.tikay calls... flop was something like 69J, with 2 clubs on the board... i check thinking im miles ahead... tikay shoves... i instant call... turns 2 clubs and hits it on river...! So even the best use this strategy...!

• bobcat52bobcat52 Member Posts: 568
    edited August 2009
    If we plucked one hair from Tikay's head for the number of times I've had QQ turned over or lost to a rivered straight/flush he'd be totally bald by now!!!!!

Just unlucky mate....
  • _AppleMac__AppleMac_ Member Posts: 126
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I had no complaints... he's a great player and a top bloke... just one of those situations... i kinda got myself into it by checking in the first place... if I bet out it would of made his decision alot more difficult... these are the tweaks that are needed in my game... but learning all the time...
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,702
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: WHY DO PEOPLE PUT THERE TOURNEY LIFE ON FLUSH DRAWS POST FLOP??:
     I UNDERSTNAD VALUE ODDS ETC BH ETC ETC !!! BUT FOR UR TOURNEY LIFE¬!!! THATS THE QUESTION!!!
    Posted by jimbo31
    Well I don't think Flush-Draw Man did much wrong here.

And when you say "for his tourney life", that completely misses the point.

He PUSHED for his Tourney Life. You CALLED for your Tourney Life. (And you called with about the 9th nuts, there were about 8 better hands possible, & that excludes draws). I probz Call in your spot, too, but I cannot criticise my Oppo for his play - he had every right to shove. And let's face it, if he misses, you get maximum value for your hand - which, surely, is optimal? 

I know who's play I prefer there!