You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Introduction of Ante's

macclad04macclad04 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2009 in Community Suggestions
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'd love to see them myself, just because it adds a little extra spice to the game when people are getting short stacked.

I personally play a lot of double up tournaments and also feel that they would end quicker if this was introduced at around about level 6.

I just feel that this would make an overall improvement

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Introduction of Ante's:
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd love to see them myself, just because it adds a little extra spice to the game when people are getting short stacked. I personally play a lot of double up tournaments and also feel that they would end quicker if this was introduced at around about level 6. I just feel that this would make an overall improvement
    Posted by macclad04
    Yes - I enjoy Running Antes, but given their function is, as you correctly say, to spice up the action, I don't think Sky Poker needs them yet-awhile!

Be interesting to see what others think though.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited August 2009
    I don't think the DYM (assume that's what is meant by double up tournaments) need the ante. By level 6+ there isn't usually much play left and the field is cut down very quickly as players are forced into a shove situation.

• Options
    macclad04macclad04 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Introduction of Ante's:
    I don't think the DYM (assume that's what is meant by double up tournaments) need the ante. By level 6+ there isn't usually much play left and the field is cut down very quickly as players are forced into a shove situation.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Yeah, I see what your saying thats why I said they should come in at this late stage.

What I'd say to that though is it can work both ways from there on in. The short stack could fall away more quickly but it also gives them a chance to win more chips via pushing as they are more chips in the pot.

As far as tournament play goes I guess level 6 would be much too early a level for them to come in. I guess that'd be one for the men in suits...
  • Options
    YoungUnYoungUn Member Posts: 422
    edited August 2009
    The great thing about Antes is that it does create action, and it moves Tournaments on much quicker. I would like to see them implemented here because it's a vital part of Poker, but Sky should be careful about where they implement it.

Ante's create action, that's a given, which is why it's well-suited to a 10-handed game. However, one of the benefits of a 6-handed table vs a 10-handed table is that it forces more action as the blinds come around quicker. Hence, are ante's really necessary? Also, we have plenty of crapshoots on the site as it is, introducing ante's to tournaments like The Open and the Speed Tournaments that run ever hour is just going to make the structure even worse.

I want to repeat that I would like to see ante's implemented on the site, but only in the right circumstances.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited September 2009
    your right youngun with 6 seats and the blinds comming round you dont need it, everyone look at the games in play, they are not on that long. It has to happen when live because the hands take longer and its ok if there are 1000's of players but the most you get here is 700 and the blinds raise quick enough as it is. If you think people shout fish and muppet here you should see it with ante's - everyone going at it lol. Also id like to say if i need to go to the loo or get another beer lol i wait til after the big blind so it wont cost me anything, with ante's id lose a heap lol.