You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Why don't the regulars win the Open?

BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
OK, Massie has won it. So has LJB. I came 2nd once. The Swiss has won it 4 times. Sharksbite has won it once, as has Anjie, Greghogg, TheGrudge and Brandygirl. Not much of a showing for about 1000 tournaments!

Most days I watch the players on the final table on 865 and think "never heard of him". There is often only one name out of the final 6 that I recognise. Quite often, Rich will pop up to tell us that the winner has made their debut that night!

So what's going on? Why aren't the regular punters winning more often?

Comments

• bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited August 2009
        Big Buster  ...

I think you'll find the reason is  ........... 7 min levels ...makes it more open to the luck and gambling element's !!
  • BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Why don't the regulars win the Open?:
        Big Buster  ... I think you'll find the reason is  ........... 7 min levels ...makes it more open to the luck and gambling element's !!
    Posted by bennydip2
    You ever won it benny?
  • Aquanaut1Aquanaut1 Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2009
    I remember watching a show once where they were recapping a victory from a player who was playing his first ever poker tournament. He busted AA with 9T or something 1st hand.

With 7m blinds absolutely anyone can win by throwing their chips in and getting very lucky.

In the long run then the regulars will win but the varience is huge.
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2009
    Exactly the same as why the best pro players rarely reach the WSOP main event final table. Too many runners and in the case of the open too many runners and blinds too low so a lot of luck is involved.
  • BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited August 2009
    I DONT PLAY THE OPEN BUT WHEN I DO WATCH IT, IT SEEMS THAT EVERY HAND THATS SHOW HAS THE WORDS ".... GOES ALL IN AND ... HAS TO CALL AS HE/SHES SHORTSTACKED" AND THE CHIPLEADER ONE MINUTE IS ALL IN SHORTSTACKED FIVE MINUTES LATER. THE SPEED AND TOP HEAVY PAYOUT STRUCTURE MEANS THAT ITS ALL INS EARLY AND ALL IN EVERY HAND AS PEOPLE START CASHING. THE QUALITY OF THE PLAYERS YOU MENTION AND THERE LACK OF WINS PROVES THIS. IF YOU PUT THOSE 8 WITH 8 OTHER WINNERS IN A SLOWER DEEPSTACK THEY WOULD TAKE THEM TO THE CLEANERS  
  • GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Why don't the regulars win the Open?:
    OK, Massie has won it. So has LJB. I came 2nd once. The Swiss has won it 4 times. Sharksbite has won it once, as has Anjie, Greghogg, TheGrudge and Brandygirl. Not much of a showing for about 1000 tournaments! Most days I watch the players on the final table on 865 and think "never heard of him". There is often only one name out of the final 6 that I recognise. Quite often, Rich will pop up to tell us that the winner has made their debut that night! So what's going on? Why aren't the regular punters winning more often?
    Posted by BigBluster
    Sorry, have to correct you, i have never WON the open. I have had a few final tables however but they were months ago.
  • _AppleMac__AppleMac_ Member Posts: 126
    edited August 2009
    I would say alot of the known names do cash a fair bit in these tourns though... may not always go onto FT but do seem to get in the top 70 on a fair number of occasions...!
  • mickjenn1mickjenn1 Member Posts: 740
    edited August 2009
    Actually, now having read some of the post and TK's especially, I hadn't thought of this but it doesn't really matter about  the blind levels 7 mins or 1 hour , The thing with tournament's is this, it's not just a matter of getting hands (obviously you need some) but how many times do you get,  AA in the BB and every  one passes without any action or you raise with them and all pass and all you get are the blinds ? (not going to be your day)   There are many things happening in a game that need to go the winners way but most of all you need your big hands to stand up, with your marginal hands to go  your way in a coin flip. What you don't need is bad-luck !! I used to have chats with players live about  'what makes a tournament winner', what i can say is, in any tournament i have won, ive slipped easily into a rhythm in the game without forcing, the cards come at the right time in the right position.(you feel like a surfer in the tube). There are usually  three defining hands, that build your chip stack,  one early on, one in the middle, and one on the final table, but the main thing is confidence and aggression at the right time, with a sprinkling of the 'poker fairy' dust to help !! It's a wonderful game as long as you understand in the main it's all about 'Timing'... Timing is everything !! glk benny
    Posted by bennydip2

hi ben, my timing is awful at the moment m8, but am booked in at the garage on saturday m8 hes the best mechanic around here m8 hope he can sort out my timing for me, 
  • anjie1970anjie1970 Member Posts: 410
    edited August 2009
    OK, Massie has won it. So has LJB. I came 2nd once. The Swiss has won it 4 times. Sharksbite has won it once, as has Anjie, Greghogg, TheGrudge and Brandygirl. Not much of a showing for about 1000 tournaments! Most days I watch the players on the final table on 865 and think "never heard of him". There is often only one name out of the final 6 that I recognise. Quite often, Rich will pop up to tell us that the winner has made their debut that night! So what's going on? Why aren't the regular punters winning more often?
    Posted by BigBluster
    big ill just correct you lol. i have won it 4 times x
  • Huck_NallHuck_Nall Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2009
    Just to let you guys know, DAVEYZZ and THE SWISS are the all time Open winners with 5 a piece (when i say 5, they've won 5 of the live 9pm shows) I've got a comprehensive list that I've misplaced, but I'm sure I can find it and post it if you guys are interested? Maybe we could get a League going?
    Posted by Sky_Chris
    If you find it Chris - out of interest, please post.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,815
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Why don't the regulars win the Open? : big ill just correct you lol. i have won it 4 times x
    Posted by anjie1970
    No surprise there Anjie.
  • DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2009
    It's more bingo than poker, deepstacks are poker. Then again the winnings are worth a shot at bingo now and again :)
  • jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2009
    I dont play the 7 min blind games nemore. I think we need to change it to 8pm start 10 min blinds, having sky's "Main" daily trny as a crapshoot is not a good advert for the site... everytime i speak to people about they site they comment on how bad the open is, and if tht is our featured tourny they have no interest in playing here. We are getting some better trnys now, lets make the open 1
    Posted by FlashFlush
    AGREE THERE FLASH ABOUT THE 8PM 10MIN BLINDS... AND POSS A 2K START STACK... THEN MAYBE I THINK A FEW OF THE "REGULARS" PEOPLE WILL SEE MORE OFF"
  • anjie1970anjie1970 Member Posts: 410
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Why don't the regulars win the Open? : No surprise there Anjie.
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol love u xxxx
  • THESWISSTHESWISS Member Posts: 238
    edited August 2009
    Posted by BigBluster
    7 min blinds sadly are a big factor. Annoyingly in the last 2 weeks i have cashed about 10 times but keep finishing approx 25th. Two races shy of a final table i guess.
  • CIA260895CIA260895 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2009
    I won it when i 1st joined sky and Ft loads, my brother just won the primo on fri (jae2000-7) but as mick says you do have to run good in the comp to win it,its sometimes you just know your hands are going to hold up whatever you are against you just have the gut feeling and when you do run like the gods it is what makes poker so worthwhile...
  • DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited August 2009
    i have won the 9pm comp 5 times.... 3 opens,i 15k bh,and 1 5oo
    you do see quite a few regulars on the final table and winning it,angie,swiss,youngster,massie,it is so fast that it becomes a pushfest quite early so then it comes down to the best hand holding up(or not!).
    like i say ive won 5 times but i must have played 600? over the last 2 years!
    not a good percentage prehaps? but because of the big prize money a decent roi...

good luck dave

ps please dont mess with the structure of the open it is what it is,if you dont like it/cant adapt to the structure then there are plenty of tournies to suit all types of players ds,bh e.t.c
  • Extreme3DJExtreme3DJ Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2009
    coz its a lucksack tourny  ,, thts y i diont bother unless i feel like donkin aboyut
  • DazlerDazler Member Posts: 3,970
    edited August 2009
    Ive come second before and made final table couple of times in the open. Have won the velocity about 4 or 5 times which for some reason i get on better with. you have to sift through the really bad players until the first break and if your chipstack is low your either going to get blinded out or push and hope for the best. The velocity is even quicker than the open but feels more relaxed and better play for some reason. The open is a bit of a mine field and tonight i went out after i saw some appauling play! all ins pre flop and calls after i raise with the best of it and they just go all in. I double up but then they keep pushing and you end up calling with a pocket pair or such like. It can be very frustrating for a seasoned player and is why the deep stack tornies are becoming all the more popular. I think i play the open because of the prize pool and the tv show and the kudos of winning it. Regular players either go out early because of betting when ahead and inexpierienced players keep calling and suck out and then your chip stack has taken a beating and its hard to get back in it or will manage to enter quite deep into the torny but just go out aginst a monster or blinds.

the amount of times i have been so close to winning it but just went out on the bubble or in 9th place or there abouts. But ill keep at it i suppose and i know its coming one day.