You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

MY LAPTOP :(

DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
edited July 2010 in Community Help & Advice

My laptop is fairly new, 4/5 months old.

Recently it's just been freezing randomly for no apparent reason.

I nly play 2 tables.

Underneath the lappy sometimes gets really really hot! I suspect this is the problem.

If it is, will it be something inside the lappy that has burnt out? If so, can this be repared/replaced? How much wud it cost?

Thanx

Comments

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited July 2010
    If something is overheating then yes it could easily be causing that symptom. Perhaps you've had a fan failure (?). What make & model is it exactly? Being so new it'll still be under warranty so you should be able to get it sorted (but you may have to send it back to the manufacturer).

• belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited July 2010
    Over heating lap tops will slow processor which will affect performance.Try one of the purpose built lap top stands most have fans this should help with both ;)
  • DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited July 2010
    Heyyyy cheerz chaps, old man believes the amage will already have been done...

Its an E-SYSTEM sorrento 1

Windows 7

2048MB DDR2 RAM

160GB

Then it says some other stuff on the sticker too....

Its all nonsense to me, but I sruggle sometimes with 2, and alot of the times with 3 (tables)

My bro has the exact same one and 2 is fine.

Any help to ya?
    edited July 2010
    That's a tricky one to find any decent information about. I can't find any detailed hardware info that may point to fan locations / removable panels to check behind etc..etc. Do you see any vents around the area that gets hot? See any fans behind them? Any removable panels that may reveal a fan? All that assuming it is overheating (based on your initial comments). Of course there could be another million causes! It may be one for an engineer to be honest.

It does seem to be a fairly low specification unit so I'm not surprised you're stuggling with 2+ tables. 'Flash' is hugely inefficient and a major overhead. (That's Flash in general, not anything specific to Sky Poker). The more beans the better but you rarely get enough in a laptop.

• DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited July 2010

Yes mate it only gets red hot in the back right corner as I look at it, where the battery lead plugs in round the back, and theres an air vent on the side, (back left).

It really does get boiling hot quite easily...
    edited July 2010
    Don't think I can be much help unfortunately. If you were a bit closer geographically (Doncaster's what, 6000 miles away innit?!) and could drop it in I'd happily get the engineers look over it.
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited July 2010
    Looks like a Intel Celeron based system which is why it's struggling.  It's an entry level processor.

You could try downloading and installing something to monitor the temperatures inside the laptop.

Speedfan is fairly straightforward to setup but looks perplexing when running.  All you would be interested in is the temperatures section though.
  • cottladcottlad Member Posts: 439
    edited July 2010
    haven't read all replies but find the heatsink and de-fluff.  You'll have to unscrew some bits and look for it...... google 'laptop heatsink' to see what it looks like.
  • aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited July 2010

you might try and download the latest BIOS for your laptop processor.