You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The ORIGINS of Poker

DTWBANDITDTWBANDIT Member Posts: 6,451
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat

hi all

while reseaching some sports i came across this (am interested in sports history)

The origin of poker is the subject of much debate. All claims, and there are many, have been widely disputed by historians and other experts the world over. That said, among the most credible claims are that poker was invented by the Chinese in around 900AD, possibly deriving from the Chinese equivalent of dominos. Another theory is that Poker originated in Persia as the game ‘as nas’, which involved five players and required a special deck of 25-cards with five suits. To support the Chinese claim there is evidence that, on New Year’s Eve, 969, the Chinese Emperor Mu-Tsung played “domino cards” with his wife. This may have been the earliest version of poker.

Cards have tentatively been dated back to Egypt in the 12th and 13th century and still others claim that the game originated in India as Ganifa, but there is little evidence that is conclusive.

In the United States history, the background of poker is much better known and recorded. It emerged in New Orleans, on and around the steamboats that trawled up and down the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. The game then spread in very direction across the country – north, south, east, and west – until it was an established popular pastime.

TO BE CONTINUED..........

Comments

• razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited August 2009
    like it micheal..m8 any chance u can run the poll for scores on the doors id really be greatful
  • TORTUS007TORTUS007 Member Posts: 456
    edited August 2009
    Hi DTW, Do you think Mu-Tsung + his wife also invented strip poker?? lol.
  • DTWBANDITDTWBANDIT Member Posts: 6,451
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: The ORIGINS of Poker:
    like it micheal..m8 any chance u can run the poll for scores on the doors id really be greatful
    Posted by razorkev

hi kev can do m8 could just call it the Scores on the Doors poll  then while i'm doing battle of blogs poll update could do yours no problem

let me know if ok m8
  • razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited August 2009
    ok sounds gr8,,many thx its really appreciated ..a travel poker set is on your way , my e mail is hoops77@hotmail.co.uk leave me ur address m8 i will send u that as a ty .....cheers
    edited August 2009
    ok sounds gr8,,many thx its really appreciated ..a travel poker set is on your way , my e mail is hoops77@hotmail.co.uk leave me ur address m8 i will send u that as a ty .....cheers
    Posted by razorkev

cheers m8 just about 2 try my hand at BH Sat  its a work & play day today my e-mail is michaeld64@sky.com  will start the poll later
    edited August 2009
    Hi DTW, Do you think Mu-Tsung + his wife also invented strip poker?? lol.
    Posted by TORTUS007

could be m8 maybe they wanted to see in the new year with a Bang!!