You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Card dead

WobbegongWobbegong Member Posts: 2
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
I'd really appreciate some advice. I know its not been long but I've been card dead for a few weeks now and have reached the stage where 6,3 suited starts to look a playable hand!! (I've not given in to the temptation though!)
If I have suited connectors, a medium pocket pair or A/K with a decnt kicker someone puts in a big enough raise ahead of me that it would be possible suicide to call. If I have a good hand I miss the flop and can't call big bets. By playing tight I do get to execute some bluffs and pick up a few chips here and there but find myself being blinded away as I am never in a position to push before my stack has been really badly reduced.
I've read that you should go for suited connectors and put in a decent bet but I've rarely had these or anything half decent and have not felt I could push with 8,2 etc.
So do I just have to grit my teeth and push with junk and hope that my tight image (half caused by having no hands to play) lets me get away with it or do I say 'this will pass' and play low stakes games until my bad run of cards passes?
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    63 is a playable hand depending on the circumstances.

If you are playing that tight, then other players will notice this and will widen their raising range.  Try 3beting PF with decent As/Ks actually in fact anything just to get yourself used to 3beting light.

When you are down to a few big blinds you should be pushing so wide that the cards don't even matter...althought its best never to let yourself to get down that low.

In the long run this phase will pass and you will soon be getting AA every orbit to make up for it.
  • bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Card dead:
    I'd really appreciate some advice. I know its not been long but I've been card dead for a few weeks now and have reached the stage where 6,3 suited starts to look a playable hand!! (I've not given in to the temptation though!) If I have suited connectors, a medium pocket pair or A/K with a decnt kicker someone puts in a big enough raise ahead of me that it would be possible suicide to call. If I have a good hand I miss the flop and can't call big bets. By playing tight I do get to execute some bluffs and pick up a few chips here and there but find myself being blinded away as I am never in a position to push before my stack has been really badly reduced. I've read that you should go for suited connectors and put in a decent bet but I've rarely had these or anything half decent and have not felt I could push with 8,2 etc. So do I just have to grit my teeth and push with junk and hope that my tight image (half caused by having no hands to play) lets me get away with it or do I say 'this will pass' and play low stakes games until my bad run of cards passes? Any help would be appreciated.
    Posted by Wobbegong
      Wobbegong  
    This is nothing unusual Every Player online and Live go through the 'Doldrums' Long spells of cold decks and outdraws  on the hands you do play .. It's hard  but you have to go through this sometimes, 
    However, try playing some sit-n-go's (6 seat-er) that play  like a final table, better still play 'Double your Money'  sit-n-go.......
    It also sounds  like your lacking is confidence,  you say your game is tight, well nothing wrong with that but once  you feel confident,  play some small stake MTT's and play more aggressive,
     (check-raise, re-raise,  lead out  pot-size-bets)
    These part's of the game come with confidence,  you have to remember that most TV MTT's here are fast structure so you need to keep track of the pace of the game, if you find your down to 10 BB's then you have to gamble by looking for an opening when your in the blinds or on the button and push all-in to try and double up, yes its a gamble but as you say, you cant be anti-ed away...
    Try some sit an go's to get your confidence and back on a winning track

glk benny
  • annie_dukeannie_duke Member Posts: 545
    edited August 2009
    listen to benny he talks sense....ocassionally :)

sounds like ur on the kind of run where you sit and sit and sit then finally get JJ QQ etc n get knocked out

try some cheap stt's and open up ur hand range - raise in position

good luck
  • candicandi Member Posts: 2,162
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Card dead:
    I'd really appreciate some advice. I know its not been long but I've been card dead for a few weeks now and have reached the stage where 6,3 suited starts to look a playable hand!! (I've not given in to the temptation though!) If I have suited connectors, a medium pocket pair or A/K with a decnt kicker someone puts in a big enough raise ahead of me that it would be possible suicide to call. If I have a good hand I miss the flop and can't call big bets. By playing tight I do get to execute some bluffs and pick up a few chips here and there but find myself being blinded away as I am never in a position to push before my stack has been really badly reduced. I've read that you should go for suited connectors and put in a decent bet but I've rarely had these or anything half decent and have not felt I could push with 8,2 etc. So do I just have to grit my teeth and push with junk and hope that my tight image (half caused by having no hands to play) lets me get away with it or do I say 'this will pass' and play low stakes games until my bad run of cards passes? Any help would be appreciated.
    Posted by Wobbegong
    Hi babe, Ive been thinking this about my own hands recently-not good babe i know. In fact, it could have been me writing this post it sounds so similar so i guess i will listen to the advice that your being given take from that and see what happens. Best of luck hunni

Lots of love

Candi xxxxx
  • WobbegongWobbegong Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2009
    thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to loosen up a bit and in the meantime I'm playing freerolls and small stakes games in the hopes that I can get through the bad run at minimum cost.

I did play a 6 seater sng and guess what- raised with the rockets that I got 3rd hand in. Raised 3BB got two callers. Cutting story short the BB was a calling staion and on the river made his straight holding 2 junk, unconnected cards! Says it all really!!!
    On the brighter side did manage to come 2 out of 204 in a freeroll so maybe my luck is on the turn. Here's hoping