You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

quality of play in more expensive tourney

InnerspaceInnerspace Member Posts: 6
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
I'd just like to ask the question, is the general quality of play higher in the more expensive tourneys (the open, 5 oo etc) than the £5 buy in and below (eg the £200 and £250 guaranteed) or is it just the size of the bankroll that people have that dictates the level they play at? 

Also, is a reasonable player as likely to go out of a satellite as to cash in the main event, due to simple variance and the likelihood of being called by absolute donkeys with 72 at the satellite level? (Are you likely to get that call in the main event?)

I've thought about upping my buyin level, but am a bit hesitant about playing with the big boys. 

Comments

• _AppleMac__AppleMac_ Member Posts: 126
    edited August 2009

Bankroll does dictate the level of tourns that you play at, I would buyin to a £20 tourn if I really couldnt afford to and was worried about loosing my money... however I don't feel the quality improves in such tourns as 'the open' just because at some point of the tourn it will become an 'all in fest,' so at this point luck is a big factor... you will get hands such as 77 against AK... so your at the races... so you want your hand to hold up in these situations...

Now the Deep Stacks provide alot more poker play imo, and the standard is far great to that of 'the open,' you have to pick spots, control the pot with your bets etc... rather than just pushing the all in button... personally I prefer this tourn to 'the open' and there is alot of respect for players on the tables... and it is a great tourn to learn how to play poker in the proper way...

Good luck in what you decide to do...!

• Huck_NallHuck_Nall Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: quality of play in more expensive tourney:
    Now the Deep Stacks provide alot more poker play imo, and the standard is far great to that of 'the open,' you have to pick spots, control the pot with your bets etc... rather than just pushing the all in button... personally I prefer this tourn to 'the open' and there is alot of respect for players on the tables... and it is a great tourn to learn how to play poker in the proper way... Good luck in what you decide to do...!
    Posted by _AppleMac_
    Correct Sir. The deepstacks give you far more fold equity and allow more 'decision making'.
    I play the opens and have been very lucky, but skill is far far less of importance and, although frustrating at times, should be treated as a bit of fun.
  • jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2009
    YUP... DEEPSTACKS ARE "THINKING" POKER NOT SHOVEY SHOVE!!! AND THE LEVEL OF PLAY REGARDLESS OF BUY INS DOES SEEM TO BE SLIGHTLY MORE HIGHER... WITH RESPONSE TO UR SECOND PART OF THE QUESTION REGARING 72.U WILL SEE IT MORE AND MORE AS THE TOURNEY PROGRESSES... ALOT OF THE PLAYERS ARE GOOD SOLID PLAYERS AND KNOW HOW TO MIX IT UP WHEN THE TIMING IS RIGHT... WE ALL CANT WAIT AND WAIT FOR ACES OR KINGS... NOT PLAY A HAND FOR HOUR... RAISE THEN EVERYONE FOLD TO THE ROCK.... SO YES U WILL SEE POTS WITH 45 VS KK AND 95 VS TT ETC... BECAUSE THATS WHAT POKER IS ABOUT... U LOOK AT DANIEL NEGREANU... HE LOVES PLAYING SMALL HANDS LIKE 65, 45,34, ETC.... BUT MAKE SURE U PULL IT OFF CORRECTLY OR U WILL B CLASSED AS A DONK!! LOL... GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL MATE AND HOPE TO SEE U ON THE DEEPYS SOON ;-)
  • KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2009
    In Response to quality of play in more expensive tourney:
    I'd just like to ask the question, is the general quality of play higher in the more expensive tourneys (the open, 5 oo etc) than the £5 buy in and below (eg the £200 and £250 guaranteed) or is it just the size of the bankroll that people have that dictates the level they play at?  Also, is a reasonable player as likely to go out of a satellite as to cash in the main event, due to simple variance and the likelihood of being called by absolute donkeys with 72 at the satellite level? (Are you likely to get that call in the main event?) I've thought about upping my buyin level, but am a bit hesitant about playing with the big boys. 
    Posted by Innerspace
    If you want to play the opens/five-00, the best way is to try the satellites. Just play them very tight/very agressive and they're pretty easy to get through. I would also suggest that you try the £4k guaranteed on Tuesdays (non-televised). It has a 10 minute blind structure so you get a lot more play for your money.

Hope this helps mate + good luck.
  • IAMALLIN2IAMALLIN2 Member Posts: 561
    edited August 2009
    I would recommend any of the deepie tourneys as mentioned above, Tikays Sleepstack tonight and the mickjenn Tuesdays.

Totally worth the fee for the education and you always find the best players on sky playing.

I do not believe you can learn any real poker from the shove fest 6 player 7 min blind games, where bad call outdraws are the norm
    They are however more lucrative should you get lucky yourself, you can also satellite in to them.
    Gary