You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

New Problem when Changing Views

metaraptormetaraptor Member Posts: 58
edited August 2010 in Community Help & Advice
A new display problem has arisen when changing from mini view to standard view.

I am still suffering from the intermittent miniview problem which causes bet sizes to be "invisible" behind player identification labels.  This makes multi-tabling entirely impractical.

My temporary solution when this occurs has been to resize the table(s) affected to standard view and play two tables on different screens.  Until today, this has always worked well.  Today, however, a problem has arisen when expanding a table close to the right hand edge of a screen (so that on expansion it should display partly beyond the right hand edge of the screen.

Most simply allow this, so that the right hand side of the table rolls on to the next screen to the right or rolls out of view if it was opened from the right-most screen.  (This is never a problem as it can be dragged back into full view.)

Sky's applet, however, as you may have noticed, has been doing something more sophisticated and repositioning the resized screen to the left so that the entire table remains visible on the original screen.  (Why they ever chose to do this - with the additional CPU overhead involved - in application which runs in the browser rather than by download, is a mystery to me --- but they did, and it was neat!)

Today, however, the applet is framing differently and simply chops and frames the part of the table visible without repositioning.  It does this by reducing the size of the frame for the standard view to the size available on the original screen.

Thus, if you have two miniview tables open side by side on a right hand screen and you change the right hand table to standard view, something catastrophic now happens.  The frame permanently cuts off the right hand part of the table.  The part cut off is likely to include both the "bet" button and the "miniview" button so that the table cannot now be reduced in size again to recover.

The first time this happened, I was holding a high double ended straight flush draw and could not bet it because I had only "fold" and "check" buttons available.  My opponent, with a completely rag hand, took two free cards, paired a 3 on the river and took down the pot.  How frustrating is that?  (I moved to Party Poker for the rest of my poker time - their resizing function works a treat!)

I shall pass the details and relevant screen shots on to Adam (the Sky developer working on the miniview problem) and let you know what happens.  In the meantime, if anyone else has encountered the problem or can recreate it, I am sure it would be helpful to post comments here.

Comments

• beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited August 2010
    have you tried zooming out to see more when you go back to standard view?

also fwiw i've never had issues with skys table layout button with two screens, it doesn't neccessarily like it but it doesn't seem to mess it up too much. 
  • Sky_AdamSky_Adam Member Posts: 419
    edited August 2010
    In Response to New Problem when Changing Views:
    A new display problem has arisen when changing from mini view to standard view. I am still suffering from the intermittent miniview problem which causes bet sizes to be "invisible" behind player identification labels.  This makes multi-tabling entirely impractical. My temporary solution when this occurs has been to resize the table(s) affected to standard view and play two tables on different screens.  Until today, this has always worked well.  Today, however, a problem has arisen when expanding a table close to the right hand edge of a screen (so that on expansion it should display partly beyond the right hand edge of the screen. Most simply allow this, so that the right hand side of the table rolls on to the next screen to the right or rolls out of view if it was opened from the right-most screen.  (This is never a problem as it can be dragged back into full view.) Sky's applet, however, as you may have noticed, has been doing something more sophisticated and repositioning the resized screen to the left so that the entire table remains visible on the original screen.  (Why they ever chose to do this - with the additional CPU overhead involved - in application which runs in the browser rather than by download, is a mystery to me --- but they did, and it was neat!) Today, however, the applet is framing differently and simply chops and frames the part of the table visible without repositioning.  It does this by reducing the size of the frame for the standard view to the size available on the original screen. Thus, if you have two miniview tables open side by side on a right hand screen and you change the right hand table to standard view, something catastrophic now happens.  The frame permanently cuts off the right hand part of the table.  The part cut off is likely to include both the "bet" button and the "miniview" button so that the table cannot now be reduced in size again to recover. The first time this happened, I was holding a high double ended straight flush draw and could not bet it because I had only "fold" and "check" buttons available.  My opponent, with a completely rag hand, took two free cards, paired a 3 on the river and took down the pot.  How frustrating is that?  (I moved to Party Poker for the rest of my poker time - their resizing function works a treat!) I shall pass the details and relevant screen shots on to Adam (the Sky developer working on the miniview problem) and let you know what happens.  In the meantime, if anyone else has encountered the problem or can recreate it, I am sure it would be helpful to post comments here.
    Posted by metaraptor
    Hi Meta,

I've sent you an email about this

I've recreated it and i see 3 options to fix this short term if anyone suffers from this problem:

A) Drag the mini view window to the centre of your screen before resizing to standard view
    B) If you've already resized and it's cut off the RHS then drag it to the left and hit F5 to reload the page, this will now correctly resize.
    C) Use a different browser, i've only seen this in IE8 (Firefox and Chrome work fine for me everytime)

What's interesting is I've managed to recreate this everytime in IE8 on my home PC which runs Vista and 1 monitor. From my work PCs which run IE8 & IE6 on XP Pro with dual monitors I have no problem. Firefox and Chrome work for me on all PCs every time.

I'll continue to investigate, but it would be useful to catch up over the phone when you are free.

P.S. We've got a fix for the other issue you mentioned, the bet amounts sometimes obscured in miniview (Beaneh I know you've seen this too) I should be able to get this live next week.

Kind Regards

Adam
  • beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: New Problem when Changing Views:
    In Response to New Problem when Changing Views : Hi Meta, I've sent you an email about this I've recreated it and i see 3 options to fix this short term if anyone suffers from this problem: A) Drag the mini view window to the centre of your screen before resizing to standard view B) If you've already resized and it's cut off the RHS then drag it to the left and hit F5 to reload the page, this will now correctly resize. C) Use a different browser, i've only seen this in IE8 (Firefox and Chrome work fine for me everytime) What's interesting is I've managed to recreate this everytime in IE8 on my home PC which runs Vista and 1 monitor. From my work PCs which run IE8 & IE6 on XP Pro with dual monitors I have no problem. Firefox and Chrome work for me on all PCs every time. I'll continue to investigate, but it would be useful to catch up over the phone when you are free. P.S. We've got a fix for the other issue you mentioned, the bet amounts sometimes obscured in miniview (Beaneh I know you've seen this too) I should be able to get this live next week. Kind Regards Adam
    Posted by Sky_Adam

Do the right thing and just support Firefox/Chrome ftw!!! 
  • metaraptormetaraptor Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: New Problem when Changing Views:
    In Response to Re: New Problem when Changing Views : Do the right thing and just support Firefox/Chrome ftw!!! 
    Posted by beaneh
    Thanks beaneh,

I tried Chrome but had to uninstall it because my machine slowed to a crawl.  My diagnotics tell me that it is flatlining my CPU usage.  Yes, the next step is obvious - I have a RAM upgrade inbound as we speak.