You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Wireless problems - Any help appreciated

TheSawTheSaw Member Posts: 76
edited August 2010 in Community Help & Advice
Up until recently I've played on Sky Poker exclusively via my PC, which is hard wired into my Sky Router in a small bedroom at the front of my house.  

I finally got round to investing in a laptop a little while ago -  the thought process here being that I could play on Sky Poker whilst sat in the garden during the summer (yes, I know, what summer?!?).

After taking some advice, I upgraded the wireless card in the laptop to a 'n' card as this was supposed to be a higher spec.

I have no problems at all playing wirelessly on my laptop in my living room but in the garden I am losing the signal for long enough to occasionally be timed out of hands. I only have a small 3 bed house, so it's not as though the signal is travelling through a lot of walls or distance to reach me in the garden.

I am only getting a broadband download speed of around 2Mbps but I've been told that with the laptop specification I've gone for, this should be more than sufficient for the distance involved. 

Can anyone offer any possible causes or solutions to the problem?

Thanks in advance.   

Comments

• PerssonPersson Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010

I had a similar problem about two years ago.  In my case it was due to the exact location of my router relative to my laptop.  I had put the router next to the main telephone point.  This was only about 10 feet from the table where I used my laptop, but it kept losing the signal ... although although it worked great when I was upstairs or even out in the garden.

The answer was that my table was 10 feet away on the other side of the same wall.  The signal was having to pass through solid wall at a very acute angle for nearly all of the 10 feet.  Not only is this a lot of wall but the angle of incidence was so acute that some of the signal may have been reflected rather than refracted through the wall.

Whatever, the solution was simply to move the router a couple of feet away from the wall.  All I can say is that it worked for me so it may be worth trying.  (Since then I have changed my router and find that the new one works even from the old location.  I have no idea why.)

• GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited August 2010
    It could be that your router isn't very powerful, we can use our laptops in any room of our house or in the garden. Our laptops can also 'see' several of our neighbours wireless networks too. Maybe google the make and model of your router and look for impartial user reviews, Amazon is often a good place. That should give you an idea whether or not it's the router that's the problem or not.
  • GavinxxxxGavinxxxx Member Posts: 559
    edited August 2010
    If your wireless card in your laptop is an 'Wireless N' but your router is only a 'Wireless b or g' then they will work on the G level, therefore not getting the use out of the powerfull wireless 'n'.

First thing i would try is logging into your routers settings and change the 'channel' to channel 11 or 5 (11 being best in most cases' as you might have a lot of internet traffic in your area this should stop the disconections.

If that doesnt work, phone your ISP and ask them for advice, most the time they will be more than happy to help.

:)
  • TheSawTheSaw Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2010
    Cheers for the help guys.

Never thought to check my Sky router - sure enough, the Netgear router they provided is only wireless b or g.

Just spoke with Sky Broadband, apparently they still don't provide a wireless router with 'n' capability, even to new customers.

Bit like having a colour tv when all the transmissions are in black & white. 

Looks like the options are to fork out for a new router myself or find a new broadband provider.

Thanks again

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Wireless problems - Any help appreciated:
    Cheers for the help guys. Never thought to check my Sky router - sure enough, the Netgear router they provided is only wireless b or g. Just spoke with Sky Broadband, apparently they still don't provide a wireless router with 'n' capability, even to new customers. Bit like having a colour tv when all the transmissions are in black & white.  Looks like the options are to fork out for a new router myself or find a new broadband provider. Thanks again  
    Posted by TheSaw
    Or have a super long network cable custom made up. That's what I use when I want to play my Xbox which is downstairs (switch & router upstairs). Ok it's not pretty but it does work :)
    I've actually got a spare which I could send to you if you like.

• TheSawTheSaw Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Wireless problems - Any help appreciated:
    In Response to Re: Wireless problems - Any help appreciated : Or have a super long network cable custom made up. That's what I use when I want to play my Xbox which is downstairs (switch & router upstairs). Ok it's not pretty but it does work :) I've actually got a spare which I could send to you if you like.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I'm afraid MrsSaw might have something to say about a network cable running through the house.

Thanks for the offer though - much appreciated.