You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Disabled People not welcome at Poker in the Park

RobSoton73RobSoton73 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi guys,
Sorry for my 1st post being a moan but I need to vent my frustration. As a wheelchair user, I travelled from Southampton yesterday specifically to attend Poker in the Park in Leicester Square so imagine how gutted I was that there was no flat access for wheelchairs to get into any of the marquees. It would have only needed a couple of temporary ramps to allow wheelchair users to get on to the 2 grassy areas and therefore into the marquees.
The first steward I spoke to blamed Westminster City Council saying it was your responsibility to provide ramps. When I pursued the matter, I was told by another steward that he was told that the setting up team were meant to bring ramps but had forgotten them.
I find this an unacceptable state of affairs in 2009 and what upset me more was the excuses and general 'pass the buck' attitude that I encountered.
Hopefully the event organisers will take this on board and they will get their act together for next year.
Not a great start to my 'live' poker experience but hey, all I can say is thank god for online poker and Sky Poker as here all are welcome and you tend not to come across such negative attitudes.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Rob

Comments

• dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited August 2009
    Isn't it a legal requirement to provide access or does the fact they were temporary (i.e. marquees) change that?

Either way, I would take it further as I'm sure it was not only you who suffered - complain to the organisers and if they do nothing about it then write to your MP and make him/her earn their pay!

Oh and welcome to Sky Poker :)
  • mike1975mike1975 Member Posts: 420
    edited August 2009
    I'm really surprised that such a major event didn't take wheelchair users into account, it must have been very frustrating for you, i hope that they take your concerns onboard and address it for any future events, i also hope it wont discourage you from any future live events.
  • SoLackSoLack Member Posts: 2,737
    edited August 2009
    Sorry to hear about that, it is totally disgraceful imo. 
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    I would contact the organisers directly, the least that they should be able to do is pay you back your travel costs.

As someone who spent the best part of a year in a wheelchair after an accident, I can emphathise with how frustrating it is .
  • PILLOWMANPILLOWMAN Member Posts: 1,165
    edited August 2009
    you have every right to moan . i agree , think you should get compesation for this.  why couldnt they sort something out straight away?  my guess is the organisers didnt even know there was a problem .ggrrrrr  makes me angry,such behaviour.please let us know what happens, if you contact the organisers.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,859
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Disabled People not welcome at Poker in the Park:
    Hi guys, Sorry for my 1st post being a moan but I need to vent my frustration. As a wheelchair user, I travelled from Southampton yesterday specifically to attend Poker in the Park in Leicester Square so imagine how gutted I was that there was no flat access for wheelchairs to get into any of the marquees. It would have only needed a couple of temporary ramps to allow wheelchair users to get on to the 2 grassy areas and therefore into the marquees. The first steward I spoke to blamed Westminster City Council saying it was your responsibility to provide ramps. When I pursued the matter, I was told by another steward that he was told that the setting up team were meant to bring ramps but had forgotten them. I find this an unacceptable state of affairs in 2009 and what upset me more was the excuses and general 'pass the buck' attitude that I encountered. Hopefully the event organisers will take this on board and they will get their act together for next year. Not a great start to my 'live' poker experience but hey, all I can say is thank god for online poker and Sky Poker as here all are welcome and you tend not to come across such negative attitudes. Thanks for letting me vent. Rob
    Posted by RobSoton73
    Rob,

That is nothing short of a disgrace, & I have now raised awareness of this issue elsewhere, in the hope that someone will sit up & take notice.

The DDA is quite clear on the obligations & responsibilities placed upon those who provide structures, permanent or temporary.

I would be inclined to tackle both Westminster City Council, & your local CAB about this. and don't be fobbed off.

From time to time, I have the respionsibility to source poker venues, wearing different hats, so to speak, for APAT, Sky Poker, & others.

The first question is always the same. "Do you have full Disabled Access".

No ticked box = no event. It's that simple.

Those responsible for the shambles in Leicester Square should hang their heads in shame.

"I'm all right Jack" was 1959. This is 2009.
  • Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Disabled People not welcome at Poker in the Park:
    In Response to Disabled People not welcome at Poker in the Park : Rob, That is nothing short of a disgrace, & I have now raised awareness of this issue elsewhere, in the hope that someone will sit up & take notice. The DDA is quite clear on the obligations & responsibilities placed upon those who provide structures, permanent or temporary. I would be inclined to tackle both Westminster City Council, & your local CAB about this. and don't be fobbed off. From time to time, I have the respionsibility to source poker venues, wearing different hats, so to speak, for APAT, Sky Poker, & others. The first question is always the same. "Do you have full Disabled Access". No ticked box = no event. It's that simple. Those responsible for the shambles in Leicester Square should hang their heads in shame. "I'm all right Jack" was 1959. This is 2009.
    Posted by Tikay10
    100% agree TK.. Poker in the Park is probably losing a lot of support.
  • mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited August 2009
    Hi
    I totally agree with Tony, DO NOT BE FOBBED OFF ,as this is disgraceful.
    Im sure you can contact the organisers of this event to complain and demand recompense for you terrible experience.
    They had a lot of really good press in the mags and would they be willing to see all that blown out of the water for this, i think not.
    Too many people dont complain when things are not right. This is an activity that ANYONE can do.
    If the WSOP can FEATURE players who are blind, have no arms etc then why cant you play.
    GO FOR IT M8.
    col
  • RobSoton73RobSoton73 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for all your comments and support. I am pleased to say that after contacting the organisers of the event, they have offered to reimburse me for my train ticket and will send me a few freebies. They have also asked if they can contact me when planning next year's event to seek my input.

The email also said 'In regards to the comment made by one of my staff members about access responsibility. I would like to confirm that it is not the responsibility of Westminster City Council to ensure disabled access at our show; this duty sits firmly on our shoulders.
     Poker in the park has been running now for three years and we are always looking for ways to improve the event for all our delegates. I am aware that disabled access was overlooked this year and I intend to take steps to ensure that all disable amenities are in place for next years show. All sponsors and exhibitors will be notified to ensure that their space and gangways are large enough for wheel chairs to access a full view of activities in the marquees. Ramps will be installed to all the grassed levels and assistance from staff will be advertised so all delegates feel comfortable to ask for help if need be.'

So all in all, a reasonable result to something that should never have occured.

Rob
  • mickjenn1mickjenn1 Member Posts: 740
    edited August 2009
    nice 1 fella, am glad they sorted something out for you m8, gl in the future and keep winnig pal
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Disabled People not welcome at Poker in the Park:
    Thanks for all your comments and support. I am pleased to say that after contacting the organisers of the event, they have offered to reimburse me for my train ticket and will send me a few freebies. They have also asked if they can contact me when planning next year's event to seek my input. The email also said 'In regards to the comment made by one of my staff members about access responsibility. I would like to confirm that it is not the responsibility of Westminster City Council to ensure disabled access at our show; this duty sits firmly on our shoulders.   Poker in the park has been running now for three years and we are always looking for ways to improve the event for all our delegates. I am aware that disabled access was overlooked this year and I intend to take steps to ensure that all disable amenities are in place for next years show. All sponsors and exhibitors will be notified to ensure that their space and gangways are large enough for wheel chairs to access a full view of activities in the marquees. Ramps will be installed to all the grassed levels and assistance from staff will be advertised so all delegates feel comfortable to ask for help if need be.' So all in all, a reasonable result to something that should never have occured. Rob
    Posted by RobSoton73
    Nice one Rob RESULT

• FBSFBS Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the update Rob, at least they listened and promised to correct thier mistake ... lets hope they do.

Take advantage and give the input they request it'll all help promote awareness
  • PILLOWMANPILLOWMAN Member Posts: 1,165
    edited August 2009
    thanks for the update , best of luck .
  • mike1975mike1975 Member Posts: 420
    edited August 2009
    well done for not letting it go Rob, nice result.