You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Connection / Technical Problems

IrollerIroller Member Posts: 10
edited September 2010 in Community Help & Advice
Hi everyone

I'm hoping that someone in the SP community will be able to help / offer some useful advise on the connection & or IT related difficulties I have been experiencing recently.
I have regularly lost connection with the site, sometimes at the most inopportune moment & as you can imagine it is incredibly frustrating. I have played on Sky Poker since November 09 & for 4 or 5 months had no problems to speak of.Then for no apparent reason I started to experience the following:

1/ The tables wouldn't load or 1 would & another for a torni starting a little later wouldn't
2/ I would lose connection yet other non poker related sites would still load
3/ The My Account page would show only history from several months ago.

The problems seem to be eratic but occur frequently.The lap top I'm using is a INSPIRION 1545 INTEL CELERION DUAL CORE T3000 (1.8GHz,8000MHz, 1MB) has any one else had any particular problem using this model. The mother board & screen have been replaced after I reported the problems to Dell but the machine is very slow to load & have been unable to get anywhere with their support network (spent several hours on the phone, 30 mins + each time without getting to speak to anyone)

I would really appreciate any helpful feedback, particularly from anyone with an IT background.The problems
are making it impossible for me to fully enjoy my poker. Thanks in advance.

Frank

Comments

• MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited September 2010
    Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run a network speed test.

Then go to http://www.piriform.com/ and download cccleaner it's free.  Install it (say no to changing your homepage and the toolbar it offers to install) and then run it and tell it to clean your system.  It will delete all the temporary files on your pc and various other rubbish left laying about.

After that reboot and rerun a speedtest and post the results here.  See if Sky Poker is more stable after running cccleaner.

• IrollerIroller Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for your helpful advise Machka have done as you suggested the speed test results were:
    DOWNLOAD SPEED 9.37 Mb/s
    UPLOAD SPEED 0.83 Mb/s
    ISP 2.5/5
    PING 57

After CCCLEANER

DOWNLOAD SPEED 10.21
    UPLOAD SPEED 0.83
    ISP 2.5
    PING 57

Not sure what this means but will play some poker & let you know if problems persist or not. The lap top is still under warranty for another 6 weeks so if there is something faulty will need to make a warranty claim.Once again thank you for your reply it's much appreciated

Frank

In Response to Re: Connection / Technical Problems:
    Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run a network speed test. Then go to http://www.piriform.com/ and download cccleaner it's free.  Install it (say no to changing your homepage and the toolbar it offers to install) and then run it and tell it to clean your system.  It will delete all the temporary files on your pc and various other rubbish left laying about. After that reboot and rerun a speedtest and post the results here.  See if Sky Poker is more stable after running cccleaner.
    Posted by Machka
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for your helpful advise Machka have done as you suggested the speed test results were: DOWNLOAD SPEED 9.37 Mb/s UPLOAD SPEED 0.83 Mb/s ISP 2.5/5 PING 57 After CCCLEANER DOWNLOAD SPEED 10.21 UPLOAD SPEED 0.83 ISP 2.5 PING 57 Not sure what this means but will play some poker & let you know if problems persist or not. The lap top is still under warranty for another 6 weeks so if there is something faulty will need to make a warranty claim.Once again thank you for your reply it's much appreciated Frank In Response to Re: Connection / Technical Problems :
    Posted by Iroller
    Those response times and speeds look perfectly good to me so I don't think it's your internet connection.  If you find tables timing out or issues playing then run a speedtest at that moment in time and see what you get.
  • IrollerIroller Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2010
    ok  thanks again obviously something is not right would you recommend me claiming on a warranty it even kicks out my other half on her online shopping at Ocado / Waitrose ?  If I meet you at a SPT I will get you a beer or several much appreciated. Frank
    lIn Response to Re: Connection / Technical Problems:
    In Response to Re: Connection / Technical Problems : Those response times and speeds look perfectly good to me so I don't think it's your internet connection.  If you find tables timing out or issues playing then run a speedtest at that moment in time and see what you get.
    Posted by Machka
    edited September 2010
    ok  thanks again obviously something is not right would you recommend me claiming on a warranty it even kicks out my other half on her online shopping at Ocado / Waitrose ?  If I meet you at a SPT I will get you a beer or several much appreciated. Frank lIn Response to Re: Connection / Technical Problems :
    Posted by Iroller
    It would be very very hard to make a claim under warranty for a intermittent problem.  I'm sure that the seller would just say it's the software you installed/internet connection/router/phone line/settings that have been changed, etc.  And the thing is it's really hard to prove them wrong when the problem comes and goes.