You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Double Your Money tournaments - your thoughts??

scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi guys I've recently started playing the DYM tournies anything from 2.25 to the 22 ones and I think I'm just about breaking even at the moment, actually I would say that I'm down a bit.

Does anyone on here play lots of these, any advice and strategy????

Thanks very much..

Comments

• SoLackSoLack Member Posts: 2,737
    edited August 2009
    They should change the name of the Double Your Money tournements to Lose Your Money.  I'm sure if youi play enough a profit is possible, but its hard work and just not worth the time imo.  Some of the play on the bubble is excrucuiating.  I don't think the tactics are different from any other tournements. Maximise your wins, minimise your losses and stay in.
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    SoLack I think that with the rake it is tough to get a decent ROI but I'm certain its possible;  just not sure how to adjust my game to maximise my +ev.

• AreaderAreader Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2009
    hi scotty,
    My wife has just started playing poker(im on her account at mo), and she has been playing 30/60p since starting.
    Ive been giving her a bit of advice and so far she has only failed to cash in 3 or 4 out of 26/27.
    She deposited £25 and with my help lost £2 on small cash straight away.
    Since then she has got it back up to £28.53. 
    my advice has been play tight(out of pos), but play premium hands(in any position)hard, dont chase straights or flushes.
    Finally, for you Scotty, I would suggest that you pick a level to play at, rather than jump around the levels.

col
    edited August 2009
    Areader - ah thats where I remember the name from, I posted a reply to your wife some time ago!

Yeah I think I am a bit too laggy ATM which is causing me problems.

The levels aren't a problem as I'm rolled for them all, its more of a personal challenge for me and I just register for as many as I can when I fell like playing the DYM format...
  • razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited August 2009
    plying solid is the only option ive played 46 and won 33 by doin that ,its a gr8 return if your solid enough loose play gets capitailsed on dym
  • AreaderAreader Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money tournaments - your thoughts??:
    Areader - ah thats where I remember the name from, I posted a reply to your wife some time ago! Yeah I think I am a bit too laggy ATM which is causing me problems. The levels aren't a problem as I'm rolled for them all, its more of a personal challenge for me and I just register for as many as I can when I fell like playing the DYM format...
    Posted by scotty77
    Hi Scotty
    Then the answer may be to multi table, say 6 tables, at £5.50 level. This way you can play a lot without putting any hole in your bankroll at all
    col
  • spitfire10spitfire10 Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2009
    Hi scotty volume is probably the only way to win as long as you are a winning player but because of the fee fairly difficult to make a massive amount personnally i am cashig about 7/10 £10 levels so although in profit it just helps to buy into tournaments, table selection also helps play any of the regulars usually 4 people left blinds 150/300 then its cross your fingers time (bingo) these have become hard work as most people have worked out the correct strategy to play them, although i do play a few i find them fairly tedious to play good luck.
    edited August 2009
    plying solid is the only option ive played 46 and won 33 by doin that ,its a gr8 return if your solid enough loose play gets capitailsed on dym
    Posted by razorkev
    Yes I agree looking back at some of the hands I have been playing a cash game strategy on these.
    edited August 2009
    Arereader - I play best when I have 4/6 tables so I think what may be the answer will be to have a 3 cash open and 3 of the £11 ones....will try this out later on.

Spitfire - I agree about the regs - I looked at the £50 ones but I would say that 4 of the players are decent 100nl regs so not much point as my edge drops against those guys....
  • razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Double Your Money tournaments - your thoughts?? : Yes I agree looking back at some of the hands I have been playing a cash game strategy on these.
    Posted by scotty77
    anyway im taking 2 months off so b luky
  • bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited August 2009
     Scotty go to page 4 of ( X Files)  ive done a  copy and paste this part !!

{Ok,  the first thing is find a game that you can win at,  secondly discipline,   thirdly cash allowance.
    Right lets say your a player who has grasped the game of course you want to win (we all do that) so lets start with 'Sit n Go' double your money.( 6 seat-er top 3 get double the starting stake)

Now follow me here because this is controversial, some will say it looks like gambling but it is a way if your disciplined, where you can make a nice profit without grinding all day on cash tables.
    Firstly we have to look at what cash we have available for the week's poker (this can be done with a bankroll as well)
    Example you have 30 quid, lets forget about 'The Open' at 9 00  for a moment. (later)
    So take  20 quid and make that into 10 x 2 quid units, we have 10 sit-n-go's minimum at  2 quid a go, right
    and 10 quid in reserve if things go pear shaped !

So now  for the system !!
    This was taught to me by my best mate Rod Boland (sadly missed) he was a great  7 card player but he made good money playing blackjack.
     His system was level stake bets doubling up 2 times then back to the original stake ?
    So first game 2 (lose) next game 2 (win)...double up next game 4 (win) double up next game 8 (win) ..= 16
     then BACK to original stake 2 and so on ! ...
     Now using this as an example , we have played 4 games and only used 2 units (1 lose and  2 doubles from a single  2 stake ) and have a profit of 12, so at this point we have 32 from  20 and had 4 enjoyable games !!
    Now of course things can go bad , you could be up to 2 doubles and lose on  several occasions but the worst scenario is 10 straight loses  at 2 quid a go. Now even a novice at the game playing 'double or nothing' would win a few with the chance to make a decent profit.
    If you were to win all games say 10 starting with  2quid and  3  doubles on all, your profit would be 140 + 20 original stake = we still have a reserve of 10, so  from our original 30 quid we have  170.
    The thing to remember is not to be afraid of the double ups, this is where your bigger profit comes from, if you can play 'double your money' 'sit an go' 2 quid and win then you can win a  10 quid game as well .
    This system can be played with 10 units  of 30p, on SkyPoker so for 3quid you have alot of games !}

I'll have a chat with you on Wednesday night and explain more ...  I'm a good teacher .. bad pupil though !!  lol
    }
  • FBSFBS Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2009
    WOW ...

Thanks for the strategy Bennydip....

I play mainly DYM, but tend to stick at the same level until I feel bankroll allows me to move up,... and recently hit a massive downswing .....

I like the 10 games plus a reserve tactic and feel it may well work for me as most of my losing streaks are only short but I do turn a few longer winning streaks..
    TA
    edited August 2009
    Cheers benny will take a good loook at it later, same here sir I never take my own advice LOL

Yeah will hopefully see you Wednesday, got to drive my sister to my mums tho that night so hopefully I can make it in time.