You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Tikay says that variance is all part and parcel of tournament poker but.....

bobcat52bobcat52 Member Posts: 568
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
I say it's still a pain in the backside!!!

Played all week on various sites with similar results so don't get your hopes up Area 51ers!!!

I know Tikay  (and others) say that we deliver suck outs and bad beats to others and that we only remember when it's done to us. He'll also say that eventually it all evens itself out. Well Tikay me old mate.....I reckon I must be due a golden run of about 6 months!!!

I've been logging my progress this week (oh the joys of a week off work) and I can honestly say that this week has seen  a ratio of give out one, get three back!!!

Some of them have been so mindblowingly outrageous it's a wonder I haven't chewed my bottom lip off!

Because I've been home all week my cat Guiness has been studiously watching his daddy playing and inventing new swear words until eventually even she could take no more and taking matters into her own paws lay across the keyboard and refused to move until I switched the accursed machine off!

Sooooooooo......

Tikay, as we all know that you are old enough to have gone to school with the poker gods (and know them all personally by their first names) is there any chance you could have a word  in their shell-likes and ask them to tip the scales of poker justice gently in my favour.......just for once.......just for a while.......just to save my sanity.....Oh, and that of Guiness, me cat. She'll be ever so pleased.....really.

Ta ever so,

Me.

Comments

• BANDICOOTBANDICOOT Member Posts: 675
    edited August 2009
    great post. i know that feeling
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    Sign up to 2plus2....study and learn....you won't play so bad....profit $$$$
  • Blondie8Blondie8 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2009
    Im sorry Bobcat, but I do like what Tikay has to say, cause he is usually right,

He is a very wise man and your turn will come around just you wait and see, When your Tikays age that is when you can stand there and say
    (Quote)
    "I know Tikay  (and others) say that we deliver suck outs and bad beats to others and that we only remember when it's done to us. He'll also say that eventually it all evens itself out. Well Tikay me old mate.....I reckon I must be due a golden run of about 60 years!!!"

P.s. I don't know how old Tikay is, you never know it might be 70 years (sorry Tikay but your still very attractive x)

edited August 2009
    i for one would never insult tikay and i am sure bobcat wouldnt either. that comment was made as a joke which tikay would probably laugh at as he has done many times before from the likes of rich orford etc. Tikay is the bedrock of this forum and we have the utmost respect for him. p.s scotty give it a rest and stop trying to wind up the community
    edited August 2009
    My post was a genuine reply....everyone who plays poker has the ability to improve and 2plus2 is the best place for that.

Rather than blaming other peoples calls, which I admit can be frustrating, we as poker players should consistantly be looking to improve out own game.

But whatever if you would rather whine about a bad beat when you could be taking the time LEARNING AND IMPROVING then that is up to you.
    edited August 2009
    fair play for your advice but you always have to add the insult. Quote Then u wont play so bad. Try some modesty and u might become a worthwhile member of the community
    edited August 2009
    Bandicoot I play bad too.  I admit that.

We all play bad.  We can all learn.

The sooner people realise that the sooner they will get better.

My posts are far more worthwhile that someone just saying UL WHAT A DONK HAHAHA.
  • RESTORMELRESTORMEL Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2009
    Hey Bobcat,

I know your pain well! This monstrous thing called variance really does mess with your head doesn't it.

The way I try to look at it is as a long term investment - bit like the stockmarket.  We all know that provided you invest wisely, your investment will grow over the long term, but in the short term, you can lose out quite badly.  Case in point, the banking crisis last year which knocked billions off the value of major stocks and shares.  But take a look at the share prices now and for the most part they have pretty much recovered and will grow in the future.

So if you look on your poker as a long term investment, provided you are getting your money in when the odds are in your favour, you WILL win.  For example, if you have AA vs 33 - this makes you a 4 to 1 favourite to win.  So for every 100 times you play this hand in this situation you will win on average 80 times and lose 20 times.  Note the lose 20 times part - you will not always win everytime you have AA.  Now if you play a lot of poker - say several thousand hands a month and you kept a complete record of all your hands played, you will find that the ratio of wins/losses with AA will pretty much reflect the 4 to 1 odds.  You will also notice that a large proportion of your winnings are gained with AA.  However, if you did a snapshot of 1 weeks play, you may find the ratio reversed as you had a bad run of AA getting cracked.  This doesn't mean its a bad investment, it just means that the natural variance has bit you in the short term. 

I find that by looking at it in this logical cold way helps to take the emotion out of your decision making and ensures that you continue to make good decisions based on maths, player reads, hand reading, pot odds etc.  If you let it get to you, you will start to make bad decisions and even end up tilting badly and spewing away even more of your hard earned.

So to conclude, keep playing good poker, make good decisions, get your money in ahead and you will be a winner in the long run.  Hope this helps, it certainly works for me

All the best

Restormel
  • bobcat52bobcat52 Member Posts: 568
    edited August 2009
    Cheers Bandicoot.

I think our friend Scotty totally missed the point the the post is tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps if he stays around long enough he'll be able differentiate between humour and seriousness!

Scotty my friend...... Unless you saw the plays then you wouldn't be able to make a serious comment.  You can read all your books but for me, unless you also get a 'feel', an intuition into the mindset of your opponent and KNOW that you are playing the best hand you may as well be a robot. Enough said on that.

Loosen your rectal attitude and chill....You'll soon find out what this site is all about...
    edited August 2009
    Hi Bobcat well I believe there is a hand history option, I've never used it but is it possible for you to post up the hands and then you can get advice from all of us????  Surely thats more valuable in the long run?
    edited August 2009
    Lol.....I give up!!!
  • KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2009
    This is the catch 22 of poker unfortunately. The better you are, the more bad beats you get. Keep doing what you're doing mate, you can't do any more.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,859
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Tikay says that variance is all part and parcel of tournament poker but.....:
    Im sorry Bobcat, but I do like what Tikay has to say, cause he is usually right, He is a very wise man and your turn will come around just you wait and see, When your Tikays age that is when you can stand there and say (Quote) " I know Tikay  (and others) say that we deliver suck outs and bad beats to others and that we only remember when it's done to us. He'll also say that eventually it all evens itself out. Well Tikay me old mate.....I reckon I must be due a golden run of about 60 years!!! " P.s. I don't know how old Tikay is, you never know it might be 70 years (sorry Tikay but your still very attractive x)
    Posted by Blondie8
    Quoted for truth.

You & me are gonna get along just fine Blondie.
    edited August 2009
    Tikay.....A ladies man to the very end.....
  • SoLackSoLack Member Posts: 2,737
    edited August 2009
    the end?
    edited August 2009
    ur welcome bobcat. we can live in hope re; scotty
  • Blondie8Blondie8 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Tikay says that variance is all part and parcel of tournament poker but.....:
    In Response to Re: Tikay says that variance is all part and parcel of tournament poker but..... : Quoted for truth. You & me are gonna get along just fine Blondie.
    Posted by Tikay10
    OH!!! I do hope so Tikay xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    edited August 2009
    Oh please madam! reign yourself in!!

Perhaps we should start a 'Tikay's Fillies' thread....rofl!