You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Unreal whats the odds anyone?

ginge999ginge999 Member Posts: 95
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat

hi guys this is one of my first posts on here, i actually cant believe whats happend. i was cruising in the open managed to get a good stack together, as the tournys moving im finding myself losing chips from blinds as im playing good solid poker. 69 players left, i have around 24 BB's blinds are at 200/400. i pick up QQ in early position i raise to 1600 the chip leader at the table has around 6k more than me he calls from the BB, flop comes down 458 he bets 2,500 at me i shove for my remaining 9k of chips he snap calls me with 87 the turn comes down an 8 then the river comes down another 8 lol i cant believe it such a sick beat and he hits the 2 remaining 8's what are the actual odd's of him doing this hitting running 8's and the remaining case 8?

Comments

• DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2009
    Welcome to poker....and the forums....
  • MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Unreal whats the odds anyone?:
    hi guys this is one of my first posts on here, i actually cant believe whats happend. i was cruising in the open managed to get a good stack together, as the tournys moving im finding myself losing chips from blinds as im playing good solid poker. 69 players left, i have around 24 BB's blinds are at 200/400. i pick up QQ in early position i raise to 1600 the chip leader at the table has around 6k more than me he calls from the BB, flop comes down 458 he bets 2,500 at me i shove for my remaining 9k of chips he snap calls me with 87 the turn comes down an 8 then the river comes down another 8 lol i cant believe it such a sick beat and he hits the 2 remaining 8's what are the actual odd's of him doing this hitting running 8's and the remaining case 8?
    Posted by ginge999
    The odds are 989 to 1 for him to make quads after the flop.
  • FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited August 2009
    yes 0.1% 1000/1 ...
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    50/50

he either makes quads or he doesn't
  • ginge999ginge999 Member Posts: 95
    edited August 2009
    Thanks flash such a sick beat :(
  • DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2009
    River was irrelevant anyway, he beat you on the turn and you were drawing to 2 outs by the river. On the flop he was actually drawing to 10 outs (disregarding FD) and so he will still win a fairly large % of the time, not 1000:1 anyway! So it's not that sick of a beat imo. OF course it's still a -EV call by him, but people in the speed tourneys such as the open shove with AK/AQ for the mere fold equity on those kind of boards as well so I don't know.

If you flopped a set and he made running quads then that would be rather sick.
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Unreal whats the odds anyone?:
    River was irrelevant anyway, he beat you on the turn and you were drawing to 2 outs by the river. On the flop he was actually drawing to 10 outs (disregarding FD) and so he will still win a fairly large % of the time, not 1000:1 anyway! So it's not that sick of a beat imo. OF course it's still a -EV call by him, but people in the speed tourneys such as the open shove with AK/AQ for the mere fold equity on those kind of boards as well so I don't know. If you flopped a set and he made running quads then that would be rather sick.
    Posted by Deadluck

Actually, it's 9 outs (disregarding FD).

See https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a49aad06a-8fbe-4479-a06e-9fee5dcc71b8&plckShowLatestPost=1

for a full discussion of the maths of the situtation.

(*Warning, only those with a strong interest in maths should follow that link*).
  • DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2009
    Yes you're right sorry. 887776666. My point remains, its not that much of a bad beat, pretty standard play in these fast structures.
    edited August 2009
    Absolutely but it feels worse when the guy makes r/r quads.