You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

(I've got the lead to) Connect laptop to a HI-FI........

DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
edited October 2010 in Community Help & Advice

Can this be done? - the sound quality on here is rubbish and not very loud.

Which lead will I need? And where can I get one?

Thanx

Comments

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited September 2010
    You need a wire from a shop :-)

Ok what audio outputs has your notetop got, and what inputs does you HiFi have?
  • DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: Connecting laptop to a HI-FI....:
    You need a wire from a shop :-) Ok what audio outputs has your notetop got, and what inputs does you HiFi have?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Seriously, u cannot be serious.......???????
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited September 2010
    hi Dohhhhh--you can just get a headphone lead--- connect it to another one, then plug it in to an mp3 input socket--or any input socket on the hifi---gl--- ps-- set the lap top volume down low first, just to check it out-- best to use low volume on laptop and turn it up with hifi volume---The headphone socket is usually on the front of your laptop
    edited September 2010
    LOL, You massive techno donk ;-) Let's just stick to poker and beer eh mate :-D
  • GavinxxxxGavinxxxx Member Posts: 559
    edited September 2010
    Headphone lead from laptop headphone jack, into auxiliary port (AUX) on the HI-FI if it has one.

That should do the job ?
    edited September 2010

Ok, bear with me.....

surely.......a headphone lead only has one "plug end" ?????? so how can I link the two???

I want some Katie Melua onto motivate me
    edited September 2010
    Usually you'll need a phono lead but with perhaps mini-phonos (headphone) jacks on one end (for the laptop) and normal sized on the other (for the HiFi), then switch your HiFi to that input and blow you neighbours away with the loud IT'S YOUR TURN BLURRRRP.

It really does depend on what sockets you have on the laptop and the HiFi.

edited September 2010
    bare all the wires from the headphone lead and solder or twist them together with the other lead--make sure they dont touch eachother --- tie a knot in the new lead so it wont get pulled apart, and tape all four joins
    edited September 2010
    use low volume to test it--- if it buzzes, then you have connected the wires wrong
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited September 2010
    One of THESE will probably do the job DOHHHHHHH.

Just connect one end to the headphone socket on the laptop and the other end to the microphone input on the Hi-Fi.
    edited September 2010

Ahhhh i'd forgot about/given up on this idea.

Cheerz Machka.

It says there are 3 types of it? 7 quid, 8 quid and 11 quid.....

Which one wud I need?

Nice one for the link!! I'll get it ordered as soon as u confirm which one I need (and whats the difference?) If theres ever an option with stuff like this I normally go for the expensive one in the hope It will actually work......
    edited September 2010
    No problems DOHHHHHHH, the only difference between them is length.  1.5m, 3m and 5m.  Whichever length you think you'll need, get the one longer! 
    edited September 2010
    they are the same lead dohhh--- just different lengths--1.5---3-- and 5 meters
    edited October 2010

Hey Machka, Nutter, and all.....

Finally got round to ordering one of those cables, and it came through this morning.

I plugged it into my comp and a menu came up, happy days! it's recognised it!!

However when I plug it into my hi fi, nothing happens!

Any advice? What setting do I need it in? I thought 'aux'???  Or am I supposed to plug it directly into my speakers? There doesn't seem to be a 'hole' for it?

Thanx chaps.
    edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Connecting laptop to a HI-FI....:
    Hey Machka, Nutter, and all..... Finally got round to ordering one of those cables, and it came through this morning. I plugged it into my comp and a menu came up, happy days! it's recognised it!! However when I plug it into my hi fi, nothing happens! Any advice? What setting do I need it in? I thought 'aux'???  Or am I supposed to plug it directly into my speakers? There doesn't seem to be a 'hole' for it? Thanx chaps.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sounds like you are almost there. 

I'd get some music/youtube video playing on your laptop through the internal speakers and then plug in the lead to the headphone socket of the laptop. 

That should I think mute the laptop speaker so you know the headphone socket is working as expected. 

Then plug the  other end into your hifi microphone socket / aux in / mix in depending on how it's labelled. 

Then you'll need to switch the hifi to the correct input - it usually is aux but I'd just go through the input options aux/tape/phono until you hear the track that was playing on your laptop.

Let me know how you get on.

edited October 2010

Cheerz Machka.......Im a plonker.....

Ive ordered the wrong cable.

I had one end of the lead plugged into the headphone socked on my hi fi......

Looked on the back, and the "aux in" is 2 seperate sockets, 1 is red, one is white.

So Ive ordered a new lead! lol - I should be able to figure this en out myself, but if I fail again, I'll post here.

Thanx agen.
    edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: (I've got the lead to) Connect laptop to a HI-FI........:
    Cheerz Machka.......Im a plonker..... Ive ordered the wrong cable. I had one end of the lead plugged into the headphone socked on my hi fi...... Looked on the back, and the "aux in" is 2 seperate sockets, 1 is red, one is white. So Ive ordered a new lead! lol - I should be able to figure this en out myself, but if I fail again, I'll post here. Thanx agen.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Don't you have a microphone input on your hifi?  Most do.  I mean, where would Karaoke be without a mic input!
    edited October 2010
    hi doh--- you can plug it in to mp3 input socket--or mic in--- or any input with headphone sized socket--gl