You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Do these players want to learn anything?

mmmchipsmmmchips Member Posts: 65
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
This is my first and last post on the Sky Forum, I don't know why as I know what to expect by now.
I was playing a £5 BH, had about 1000 chips with the blinds at 15/30.
I have KK in the BB with three limpers.
I put in a standard 4xBB + 1 for every limp raise and get two callers.
The board is J 10 4, rainbow.
I shove and get called by A 2 off.
No draw and one overcard. WHY?
Is it because it's a £5 BH or because he doesn't have a clue.
I think it's both, but he will go away thinking he is so clever even if in future he doesn't hit his miracle card, hence learning nothing,
Ever!
Of course for all you Sky Forum regulars, I want to get called by such inept players with such junk, don't I?

Comments

• KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2009
    Sorry mate but i have to ask...

How many chips did he have?
    To be polite, I would say that he's a donk that'll be living in a cardboard box before the year is out.
  • DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2009
    I feel your pain and many of the "top poker players" on this site have sucked out on me too often.

Does my head in.
  • KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Do these players want to learn anything?:
    After many min bets of 20 or 30 into pots of 200 to 300 and min raises pre flop, he acculates 2900ish. Ahhhh, my mistake, after calling a 7xBB raise with A2 he HAS to call just for a chance to take my bounty!
    Posted by mmmchips
    Didn't mean to be sarcastic, sorry if it came out that way. I've played you before, know that you're a good player, but how many of us have made, frankly, awful calls and been rewarded? I know I have.
  • MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited August 2009
    I'm not on about this site or any other site for that matter. It puzzles me why players obviously don't want to improve and keep on playing so poorly, not even learning the basics of betting or raising. There's two more posts than I thought, I now rest
    Posted by mmmchips
    I know that you want to "rest" and you make your point eloquently,
    However, it's not a question of people not "wanting to learn anything". People play poker for all sorts of different reasons. Some get a thrill from sheer gambling or making wild bluffs - others like to take a more reasoned approach. It would be a dull game if we all played the same way.

Recently I put a person all-in pre-flop with 88 v 33 and he hit his 3.
    I had repeatedly re-raised his minimum pre-flop raises.
    His comment was "some people never learn".

Losing a hand like this hurts a little - it wouldn't be normal if it didn't.
    Losing several hands like this in a row definitely causes pain.

True poker players (and I sense that you are one) rise above it and take comfort in the fact that they know that they are winning players over all. Our true love of the game can be dented at times but it generally recovers and is all the sweeter for it (so long as we play within our bankroll).
  • Chompy_imoChompy_imo Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2009
    LOLOLOL, he had more chips than you at the start of the hand, so was obv a better player than you imo.
    Who won the hand and who won the bounty please? QED
  • IAMALLIN2IAMALLIN2 Member Posts: 561
    edited August 2009
    LOLOLOL, he had more chips than you at the start of the hand, so was obv a better player than you imo. Who won the hand and who won the bounty please? QED
    Posted by Chompy_imo
    Comon Chompy he had A 2 not 9 3
    LOL
  • phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited August 2009
    LOLOLOL, he had more chips than you at the start of the hand, so was obv a better player than you imo. Who won the hand and who won the bounty please? QED
    Posted by Chompy_imo
    BOOM!!! It's a Chompy rubdown ;)
  • DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited August 2009
    it was obviously a bad call,but thats why i dont like bh as much as other tournies,i think the fact its only a fiver and he most probably took at least one head before yours his attitude was "might as well,i might take another head"
    thats the nature of bh i'm afraid,i dont like them so much so if i get fairly deep i think i have had a good night...

good luck dave
  • maccolmaccol Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2009
    Blatant "I got dealt KK" brag post imo
  • michael900michael900 Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2009
    No they do not want to learn anything.

I am SO SO SO sick of getting stung by donks.

Playing the other day, deep into an mtt.

I have pocket aces and a 67k stack, blinds 2k/4k.

Donk has 71k stack and raises to 30k- w tf?

I move all in obv.

Mr donk leaves himself no other choice than to call, so he does with 66 and gets a set.

Great.

Number two,  again deep into a mtt.

Mr donk has A2 in SB, raises to 3xBB.

I re-raise all in with AK suited. I expect a fold.

Mr donk calls with A2 and gets his two on the flop.

I swear, everytime in the last 10 I have played its been a bust out to bad play.
  • TaxicabTaxicab Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2009
    they wont need to, they will learn they nearly got unlucky.....no newbie has a very bad day and uncle bobs skypoker :)
  • RichiSwiftRichiSwift Member Posts: 149
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Do these players want to learn anything?:
    This is my first and last post on the Sky Forum, I don't know why as I know what to expect by now. I was playing a £5 BH, had about 1000 chips with the blinds at 15/30. I have KK in the BB with three limpers. I put in a standard 4xBB + 1 for every limp raise and get two callers. The board is J 10 4, rainbow. I shove and get called by A 2 off. No draw and one overcard. WHY? Is it because it's a £5 BH or because he doesn't have a clue. I think it's both, but he will go away thinking he is so clever even if in future he doesn't hit his miracle card, hence learning nothing, Ever! Of course for all you Sky Forum regulars, I want to get called by such inept playters with such junk, don't I?
    Posted by mmmchips

i think this is another example of someone making a 'stupid call'. Stupid calls, as I like to call them, are very annoying indeed, but as poker players we just have to accept it i think.
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited August 2009
    WOT---dont tell me a nutter has joined up--lol
    edited August 2009
    im outta here!--i dont want to play against players that keep calling me with a far worse hand---much rather play phil ivey and his mates---see ya everyone---lol

• chillchoichillchoi Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2009
    hi m8 bad desperate calculated even drunk calls iv made them ive suffered them its called life annoying but fun nobodys perfect thankfully and some people are slow learners pokers fun for most people and luckoften plays a disproportionate role
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Do these players want to learn anything? : You've totally missed my point here NUTTER. This was not an 'I'm fed up of this site', or a moan about bad calls type of thread. I thought that most people who play this game want to improve and learn from their mistakes, but I was wrong (see merenovice post). You are doing very well to drop Phil Ivey's name in all your posts, good work.
    Posted by mmmchips
       you are entirely correct sir-- i cant see the point of this thread at all---but the point i was making is that some people are just crazy and always will be--i really dont think that fella with a-2 reallt wants to learn anything--do you?
  • scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited August 2009
    mmm chips   say   one  thing  on the  matter   a  lepord  never  chages  its  spots
  • Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited August 2009
    No, sometimes people aren't prepared to learn from their mistakes and long term this can be beneficial for all of us. It is frustrating in tournaments such as BH or DYM where 1 loose call can cost you your tournament life. At least in cash games you can reload and learn from their silliness.

I also receive abuse from making calculated calls. Only yesterday i was called a fish when i was bb with k 10 and it had been flatted to me by the SB. The flop came j q 3 suited. At this point i felt my hand strong enough with my up/down straight draw, flush draw and over to represent strength so bet. He called, the turn came another queen. Not wishing now to show any weakness, i went all in as the pot size by now was more than i could afford to put down and again got a caller. Now i Knew i was behind and the poker gods were the only way to save me. My opponent turned over 9 3 off! Now the really cruel twist was the river missed all my outs but hit a jack making a double paired board conterfeiting his 3's. Yes, probably the cruellest way to lose a hand but none the less, looking back i was preflop fave. Even tho he hit his 3 on the flop the outs i had made me post flop fave as well. But then being called a joke was unreal. I find this behaviour more prominent during evenings where loose calls seem to be more frequent.
    Yes I feel many people just load up £20 quid or so a night and will play till its gone, with no regard to basic knowledge on position, hole card strength and betting. The number of DYM's i've played where they will call down to the river with ace high is unbelievable. The only true way to combat it is to limit your bet sizes til you know you have a monster, then take them out quietly.
    I know it wont take the sting out but long term stronger play will ultimately have its rewards. Stick to low level DYM for a while or cash as multi table format can produce the harshest of beats too often.
  • RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited August 2009
    Why oh why would we want our opponents to improve then?
  • Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited August 2009
    Why oh why would we want our opponents to improve then?
    Posted by RickyVilla
    Honest enough statement Ricky and i almost agree.
     Yes we want the weakest players around so we can long term capitalise from it but players that are TOO weak can be detrimental to your game. Take a DYM with 5 complete fools and yourself playing. When i find a table like that, i know it will be incredibly difficult to cash because you struggle to get anyone to fold, EVER. Ultimately 1 of them will hit his lucky 4 outer and take you out. I much prefer a balance of stronger and weaker players as you can avoid confrontations with the stronger ones but pick on the weaker players and yes sometimes the fishes catch one of the stronger players making your road to the prize money that touch easier too.

Also stronger more complex plays have a chance of working against someone who does have a basic strategy and knowledge but they will never work against calling stations. So I feel if the fishes did pick up their game a bit, the stronger players R.O.I. would ultimately go up.