You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker Site Issue - Friday 21st August

Sky_AdamSky_Adam Member Posts: 419
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
Dear All,

As some of you will be aware, Sky Poker experienced a technical issue at approximately 10:15pm last night, Friday 21st August. 

The issue itself was caused by a total network failure on the Easynet connection between the Sky Poker servers in Harrogate & Guernsey, which resulted in a loss of connection to all Sky Poker players on all tables. The network failure itself was not exclusive to Sky Poker, it will have affected many other businesses and users.

The issue was identified immediately and our technical support team worked tirelessly with Easynet to restore the service as soon as possible, which resulted in the connection being restored at approximately 10:45pm. Sky Poker unfortunately are just as susceptible to these network issues as any other online business. Given the severity of the issue we are extremely proud of our technical support team who were able to restore the service within 30 minutes. Regardless of this you can be assured that we will also be doing our own investigations into this failure behind the scenes in the coming days.

Although the issue itself was out of our control, we are fully aware that this was a very bad experience for all of our Sky Poker players who were affected and we apologise unreservedly to all of you for the loss of service. From a tournament perspective, the down time itself affected all players equally, with blinds being passed around the table. Similarly once the connection was restored all players were then able to reconnect immediately, hence the decision was taken to allow all open tournaments to be played to completion.  If anyone was unable to reconnect at all then this is a customer care issue, please contact our support team through the usual channels for assistance.

I have added a £1000 freeroll at 7.30pm tonight which is available for registration now, entry is just 10 poker points and there will be a maximum of 2000 players on a “first come first served” basis. 

Once again sincere apologies from all at Sky Poker, we wish you all the best of luck at the tables this weekend.

Best Wishes

Adam

Comments

• phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited August 2009
    Cheers Adam for feedback. Is this problem from last night the same underlying issue as to the one which affected many of us during the day where we got disconnected for no reason.  There is a thread about it which started yesterday afternoon.
  • Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Adam, its nice to see a company that keeps its customers informed.  I've played at other sites where similar disconnections have happened and the only response we get is a standard "The problem is being investigated".

Keep up the good work

Steve (Kiwini4u)
  • BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited August 2009
    ACCEPT THAT ALL WEBSITES CRASH BUT YOU COMMENT ABOUT ALL PLAYERS BEING EFFECTED EQUALLY  IS UTTER RUBISH NOT ALL PLAYERS WERE ABLE TO CONNECT AT THE SAME TIME RESULTING IN THE FIRST BACK AT THE TABLE ABLE TO STEAL BLINDS OF THE AWAYS. I ONLYLOST CHIPS I EXPECT OTHERS PROBALY LOST A FAIR BIT ON CASH TABLES AND THE 10 POINT FREEROLL DONKAMENT IS AN INSULT TO YOU CUSTOMERS.
    WHY NO INSTANT 5/10 MIN BREAK TO ALLOW ALL PLAYERS TO RECONECT SURLEY THIS SHOULD BE BUILT INTO YOUR RESTARTING PROGRAMS
  • Sky_AdamSky_Adam Member Posts: 419
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Site Issue - Friday 21st August:
    Cheers Adam for feedback. Is this problem from last night the same underlying issue as to the one which affected many of us during the day where we got disconnected for no reason.  There is a thread about it which started yesterday afternoon.
    Posted by phil12uk
    Hi Phil,

It's really too early to know at this stage whether the two are related, we couldn't rule it out of course, but that's one for our tecnnical experts to investigate, which will take a little more time.

Both issues willl be investigated thoroughly and we'll know more early next week.

Kind Regards

Adam

edited August 2009
    ACCEPT THAT ALL WEBSITES CRASH BUT YOU COMMENT ABOUT ALL PLAYERS BEING EFFECTED EQUALLY  IS UTTER RUBISH NOT ALL PLAYERS WERE ABLE TO CONNECT AT THE SAME TIME RESULTING IN THE FIRST BACK AT THE TABLE ABLE TO STEAL BLINDS OF THE AWAYS. I ONLYLOST CHIPS I EXPECT OTHERS PROBALY LOST A FAIR BIT ON CASH TABLES AND THE 10 POINT FREEROLL DONKAMENT IS AN INSULT TO YOU CUSTOMERS. WHY NO INSTANT 5/10 MIN BREAK TO ALLOW ALL PLAYERS TO RECONECT SURLEY THIS SHOULD BE BUILT INTO YOUR RESTARTING PROGRAMS
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Thanks for your feedback and your suggestion regarding a delay before all tournaments resume.

With regards to people on cash tables, nobody would have lost any funds since when a player is away he does not post his blinds. It would not be until player was fully reconnected that they would be asked to enter the blinds or sit out again.

Kind Regards

Adam
  • BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited August 2009
    THANKS FOR THE PROMPT REPLY. HAVENT PLAYED CASH FOR AGES APOLLOGIES FOR MY INACURACY
  • torres1984torres1984 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Sky Poker Site Issue - Friday 21st August:

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for your sincere apologies, it's great to hear that the big companies really do care about us!

I did lose some chips in the process but nothing too drastic, and every player at my table at the time lost similar amounts and so there was no real advantage for anyone, which is good.

As a whole the Sky Poker experience is so good that little blips like this still manage to keep you above the competition (in my eyes at least) and so I will continue to recommend you to all.

Also many thanks for the £1000 Freeroll, i'll be sure to register for that now! Again it's nice to see you offer something back to the customers for the inconvenience, even if the downtime wasn't your fault.

Many thanks,

Rick
  • bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Adam, its nice to see a company that keeps its customers informed.  I've played at other sites where similar disconnections have happened and the only response we get is a standard "The problem is being investigated". Keep up the good work Steve (Kiwini4u)
    Posted by Kiwini4u

Well said  Steve ,,,applause to that !!
  • TimboboTimbobo Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2009
    Darn it,. Missed it. did not get on the forum until 7.40 and didn't see this thread until nearly 8. An E-mail to those affected might have been appropriate.
    Tim
  • mat170202mat170202 Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2009
       Although the issue itself was out of our control

Posted by Sky_Adam
    Im sorry. That just does not cut the mustard.

I can think of at least two other occasions, in the last 3 months, where the exact same situation has occurred. Both times were very late at night so will have gone un-noticed by most.

Its happened many times before and WILL happen again.

Thankfully, it will not happen to me.
  • mat170202mat170202 Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2009
    Just to add- I contacted customer service many hours before the 'crash'/ whatever ocurred, to say that something was wrong. The line I got was that 'its just your software', even though I said it suggested what actually happened, probably would ( from past experience ).
  • WizzletWizzlet Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2009
    I agree, an email next time!
  • KeyserSoseKeyserSose Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2009
    Dear All, As some of you will be aware, Sky Poker experienced a technical issue at approximately 10:15pm last night, Friday 21 st August.   The issue itself was caused by a total network failure on the Easynet connection between the Sky Poker servers in Harrogate & Guernsey, which resulted in a loss of connection to all Sky Poker players on all tables. The network failure itself was not exclusive to Sky Poker, it will have affected many other businesses and users. The issue was identified immediately and our technical support team worked tirelessly with Easynet to restore the service as soon as possible, which resulted in the connection being restored at approximately 10:45pm. Sky Poker unfortunately are just as susceptible to these network issues as any other online business. Given the severity of the issue we are extremely proud of our technical support team who were able to restore the service within 30 minutes. Regardless of this you can be assured that we will also be doing our own investigations into this failure behind the scenes in the coming days.   Although the issue itself was out of our control, we are fully aware that this was a very bad experience for all of our Sky Poker players who were affected and we apologise unreservedly to all of you for the loss of service. From a tournament perspective, the down time itself affected all players equally, with blinds being passed around the table. Similarly once the connection was restored all players were then able to reconnect immediately, hence the decision was taken to allow all open tournaments to be played to completion.  If anyone was unable to reconnect at all then this is a customer care issue, please contact our support team through the usual channels for assistance. I have added a £1000 freeroll at 7.30pm tonight which is available for registration now, entry is just 10 poker points and there will be a maximum of 2000 players on a “first come first served” basis.   Once again sincere apologies from all at Sky Poker, we wish you all the best of luck at the tables this weekend. Best Wishes Adam
    Posted by Sky_Adam
    Thanks Adam this is part of ONLINE poker for all the whingers the clues in the title ONLINE. i myself suffered but so did everyone else besides weve all disconnected b4 its part of this game. Keep up the great work Adam and the sky team cheers
  • GLGIRL_69GLGIRL_69 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2009
    Ok so what about the people who were short stacked in the bounty hunter tourney and because of the high blinds would have been blinded out, potentially missing an opportunity to get back in the game?? Maybe even go on to win??

Adam your comments would be greatly recieved in this matter.

The freeroll was a nice way of saying sorry but again what about those who only had access to thier pc/laptop today or even another day??

Also after the loss of connection on the forum there was a post from a sky suit saying that they were looking into the situation and an answer would be posted begining of next regarding all the affected players? So why has a freeroll been posted ONE DAY after the event? surely this is not long enough notice for players?
  • JacksonatrJacksonatr Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2009
    hi i came 5th in this tournament, i was leading when i got disconnected but nevermind did ok in the end, i claimed 15 heads and i was told that the presenters said that was a record, anyone know if this is true i wasnt watching skypoker tv on the night, thanks
  • sharky9999sharky9999 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2009
    Ok so what about the people who were short stacked in the bounty hunter tourney and because of the high blinds would have been blinded out, potentially missing an opportunity to get back in the game?? Maybe even go on to win?? Adam your comments would be greatly recieved in this matter. The freeroll was a nice way of saying sorry but again what about those who only had access to thier pc/laptop today or even another day?? Also after the loss of connection on the forum there was a post from a sky suit saying that they were looking into the situation and an answer would be posted begining of next regarding all the affected players? So why has a freeroll been posted ONE DAY after the event? surely this is not long enough notice for players?
    Posted by GLGIRL_69
    Exactly shows the contempt Sky Poker treats its players with! expected nothing else. I for one lost connection by the time i was able to connect i was down to 300 chips, and surprise surprise the first hand back i was in big blind!!!!!! and the best they are prepared to do is a freeroll next day with no notifaction. pethetic
  • GLGIRL_69GLGIRL_69 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Site Issue - Friday 21st August : Exactly shows the contempt Sky Poker treats its players with! expected nothing else. I for one lost connection by the time i was able to connect i was down to 300 chips, and surprise surprise the first hand back i was in big blind!!!!!! and the best they are prepared to do is a freeroll next day with no notifaction. pethetic
    Posted by sharky9999
    Thanks for your support sharky.

Please can a member of the sky poker team comment on this??
    edited August 2009
    Hi GLGIRL,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you and everyone else for taking the time to post their comments on this thread. Clearly opinion is divided here, but as always we will take all points on board.

With regards to players who may have been short stacked, yes I agree that some players will have been impacted by the increased blinds when they returned, at the same time some will have benefited, it is impossible to forecast what may or may not have happened and quantify any advantage/disadvantage gained to each individual player at that moment in time.

Therefore once the connection had been restored the decision was taken to allow the tournament to be played to completion, rather than voiding/settling it immediately, which in our opinion would have been more unfair to more players. 

Clearly some players, such as yourself and sharky9999 are not happy with this decision, in which case as I advised on my initial post, I encourage you to raise your complaint with our Customer Care team, who will be happy to assist you. 

For the freeroll, Saturday evening was chosen due to it being the busiest time of the week when the majority of players were likely to be available and it was also a sign of an immediate apology from ourselves. Apologies to any of you whom missed the freeroll, we did our best to communicate it via community and advert messaging to the site.

I am closing this thread now, but if you have any further comments then please feel to contact our Customer Care team via the usual channels.

Kind Regards

Adam