You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Develop software application to fight collusion!

daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
Collusion on this site is a major concern of mine.  I don't trust the sites anti-collusion system at all, I haven't reported collusion which I have suspected but only because it has happened a few times with different names, if I saw the same two names (in a six seat SnG) again I would.

I believe that Sky Poker needs to develop a downloadable software application like the major sites which would allow greater anti-collusion features.

With sky as it is it is easy for multiple people to log in and play on the same I.P address (in the same room).

Surely this needs to be addressed? There are plenty of folk on the popular 2+2 poker forum who have said they avoid sky because of security fears. I believe that skys next stage should be to develop a software programme...you could in theory leave the browser applicable stuff in place too, but security is a big concern for me on here.

Comments

• scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    Sky is a small site compared to the big multi-national players.

Thats why you see the same users on the same Sit and Go's, because they run less frequently so therefore they have to take every Sit and Go they can.

I play cash mainly and on the 50nl/100nl tables it is not out of the ordinary for 4 different players to all be seated with each other on 6 tables....

As the site grows and grows, the more tables will be running and the less likely hood that the same players are on the same tables.

Oh and of course if you are worried that 2 players might be working together, then send Sky an email with their users names and some tournie IDs....it will be easy to trace as for instance one guy might fold AQ because he/she knows that his friend has AK....
  • daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Develop software application to fight collusion!:
    Sky is a small site compared to the big multi-national players. Thats why you see the same users on the same Sit and Go's, because they run less frequently so therefore they have to take every Sit and Go they can. I play cash mainly and on the 50nl/100nl tables it is not out of the ordinary for 4 different players to all be seated with each other on 6 tables.... As the site grows and grows, the more tables will be running and the less likely hood that the same players are on the same tables. Oh and of course if you are worried that 2 players might be working together, then send Sky an email with their users names and some tournie IDs....it will be easy to trace as for instance one guy might fold AQ because he/she knows that his friend has AK....
    Posted by scotty77
    I agree with what you are saying Scotty. What I am saying is that Sky pokers growth will be stunted by fears of players already on the big national players. Why would they leave those sites for Sky if the assurances arn't here?
    edited August 2009
    A downloadable client is apparently in development.
  • SolidStan1SolidStan1 Member Posts: 235
    edited August 2009
    I have, at times had the same thoughts has you Davey.  I have been assured that Sky DOES use anti collusion software.  Although i'm not sure how such software could possibly work.  My point being, as you mention two accounts using 1 IP address means nothing as people could collude over telephone, or messenger.

This is just a concern of mine, on this site and any other site, I have'nt experienced any colluding yet, However I am alittle worried about new software Sky are releasing just next week. I believe it will allow players to send private messages to each other during game. This opens up all sorts of possibilities for colluding, including exchanging telephone numbers.
    LOOK AT THE RISKS IT BRINGS Vs THE BENEFITS....
    Poker is an all against all game, and should be show one, show all. It is not a team game and should not allow "whispering".  I don't fully know the rules for Live poker, but i'm pretty sure, if players are whispering to other players around a poker table, this would be seen as cheating.

Sky, leave the social network to facebook,and focus on the forum to build a community.
    Got a bad feeling about this.
  • MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited August 2009
    A downloadable client or an inbuilt PM messaging service in the forum are irrelevant when it comes to collusion.
    Also, with (wireless) networks it is not uncommon for multiple players on the same IP address to be playing the same game. For example, a husband and wife might be playing in different rooms in the same house. In my experience this leads to greater competition rather than less.

ALL online sites are equally susceptible to collusion through any of several real-time messaging services that are used by a large majority of internet users.
    It is not possible for these to be detected by poker software (by any means that I know of).
    The only way to detect collusion is through patterns of play, e.g. people staying out of each others pots or making "soft" folds, but even this is only circumstantial.

If you suspect people of colluding then report it to SkyPoker who will, I'm sure, investigate it thoroughly.
    edited August 2009
    Stan - if I wanted to exchange contact details with you I would simply put myemail@whatever.com in the chat box...

People who want to collude will not be suddenly tempted into doing it because of a PM system.  And two players who get along and will want to email/speak to each other will do so too; I'm sure there are many people who are in contact with each other outside of Sky despite meeting here....

In fact a year and a half ago I was invited to join a facebook group for Sky players...

The only downside to the system will be people messageing gossip etc to each other...while I agree that it doesn't have a place on a poker site I also can't see how it will increase the likelyhood of coullding.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,862
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Develop software application to fight collusion! : I agree with what you are saying Scotty. What I am saying is that Sky pokers growth will be stunted by fears of players already on the big national players. Why would they leave those sites for Sky if the assurances arn't here?
    Posted by daveydavey
    Hi davey,

Your question is a fair one, but it has been asked, & answered, several times previously.

Sky Poker DOES have very sophisticated anti-collusion systems.

They work. There is adequate proof of that.

The Downloadable Client is in the late stages of development & testing, & will be available very soon.

I hope that answers your questions satisfactorily.
  • Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited August 2009
    I have, at times had the same thoughts has you Davey.  I have been assured that Sky DOES use anti collusion software.  Although i'm not sure how such software could possibly work.  My point being, as you mention two accounts using 1 IP address means nothing as people could collude over telephone, or messenger. This is just a concern of mine, on this site and any other site, I have'nt experienced any colluding yet, However I am alittle worried about new software Sky are releasing just next week. I believe it will allow players to send private messages to each other during game. This opens up all sorts of possibilities for colluding, including exchanging telephone numbers. LOOK AT THE RISKS IT BRINGS Vs THE BENEFITS.... Poker is an all against all game, and should be show one, show all. It is not a team game and should not allow "whispering".  I don't fully know the rules for Live poker, but i'm pretty sure, if players are whispering to other players around a poker table, this would be seen as cheating. Sky, leave the social network to facebook,and focus on the forum to build a community. Got a bad feeling about this.
    Posted by SolidStan1
    Hey SolidStan,

you can be sure that we take collusion very seriously and have a dedicated team continuously looking into this.

as for private messaging...

The private messaging will be part of the community (profile area) and not present 'in-game' on the poker tables. it is intended to be a (massive) enhancement to our community and provide our users like you with a much friendlier, smoother system that allows making friends and being part of the community an easy and enjoyable process.

it is my job to make sure that this community is the best out there and is a place that people want to come and spend some of their valuable time. i see developments like this the perfect way to fill in the gaps that we are missing at the moment and i hope you will join me in enjoying and using the new features that we release in the community.

all the best Guys,

Rich
  • daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
    edited August 2009
    I suppose my theory is very basic, it's just playing on the same I.P is very easy for Sky whereas the two major american sites don't let you register. I accept in some cases this encourages rivalry within the household but am not naive enough to think it can't help collusion.

I trust Sky poker to stamp it out but just looking at all bases.

Thanks for the replies guys.