You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Five 00 players

daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
Have played the main event a few times and have cashed one or two times but other than that have suffered hurrendous beats. The annoying thing is that almost invariably it is too bizarre calls that just don't make any sense.

AA today (sorry for AA cracked story), limped in with 5k chips, blinds 300/600...flop = Q/7/2. He leads with 600 so I raise to the maximum and he calls for 5k with J7. J on the turn.

I don't mind bad beats and don't think it's the site etc, but I just wonder about the standard of players in these tournaments because I'm not the greatest but 70% of times it is bizarre and uncomprehensible plays that push me out of the tournament.

Would anyone else have called that considering I was new to the table and hadn't played a hand?

My failure in these tournaments is just putting me off playing them in the future as there are far too many landmines to avoid..

Comments

• scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    In a fast paced tournie you shouldn't be limping.

The standard is no different really to most of the flagship sky tournies.

Plus any tournie that has 500 runners, it is always difficult to even cash, whether this be live or online.

The variance will even out, and one day you will get lucky too, and run deep.

Keep going sir.
  • daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
    edited August 2009
    I understand the implications of limping and all of that scotty77. I wouldn't be having an issue if he flopped two pair or just top pair and sucked out when it went all in.

What i'm saying is that in this instance calling your entire/tournament average stack off on middle pair J kicker seems so average and -EV, especially when I have re-raised all in and entred the pot at 600 blinds. You don't really expect that sort of thing in a £22 buy-in.

Fully accept people can disagree but to me it is just poor play and i'm surprised at how often it's happened in the main event tournaments.

edited August 2009
    Yeah but most poker players don't understand EV.

You will find the same kind of plays at the WSOP main event with a 10k BI....just cos its a 22£ BI doesn't really increase the standard, as it is still the televised tournie on Sky at 9pm when most people just wanna have a game of poker....
    edited August 2009
    Anyway...I typed that as soon as I went out. I still think what i've said and am still raw about it but having read thousands of similar posts from other people I'm sorry for bothering you all.

Back to the grind....
    edited August 2009
    I just bubbled in the 5-00...coulda folded my way to £40 tho :(

Was like 4th in chips with 70 left and ended up busting out in 61st lol.

Had a gay hand with another big stack plus other stuff :(

Oh well go for the win rather than the cash is my philosphy.
    edited August 2009
    Indeed. Back to my £2.20 scaries and back on the winning trail!