You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

cash play

LukeyBoiLukeyBoi Member Posts: 25
edited June 2009 in Poker Chat
hi all
i recently started playing cash games after making a steady little profit from tournys,
i went strait to 25/50p and quickly realised that i was out of my depth with that so dropped down to 15/30p, and even here i was struggling, i finaly went to 5/10p and i have almost done half my bankroll playing cash as it seems anyone will call with anything in cash and keep hitting! lol
i getting my reads all wrong, surely if im doing ok and making a steady profit in tournys it cant be that different playing cash?
anyone got any helpful tips for playing lower stakes cash as i'd like to play more cash but seem to be donking off all my money every time! (maybe im just rubbish, i dont kno)
any help here will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    kirstiikirstii Member Posts: 787
    edited June 2009
    If you are making a steady profit in tourneys but losing in cash i'd say stick to tourneys!! lol
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: cash play:
    If you are making a steady profit in tourneys but losing in cash i'd say stick to tourneys!! lol
    Posted by kirstii
    fair comment, lol
  • Options
    SolarCarroSolarCarro Member Posts: 2,273
    edited June 2009
    Its a different game as people will see more flops as you can just re-credit if you hit the bullet!!

Be prepared to be outdrawn in cash poker for this reason, I am the same as you I have a steady 4 figure bankroll from MTT but I went into cash at the 2p/4p level and normally can double a £4 stake with the odd bust out here and there.

It wouldn't harm your game to play micro stakes for a week just to get the feel of the cash game.

Dave
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    cheers dave, apreciate the comments and will be following up the advice, thanks!
    good luck with those MTTs your obviously doing some thing right to be into 4 figures, good effort.
    i kinda new to all this and only really taken it seriously for 2-3 months, been up into 3 figures, but thats my lot and donked alot of it off in the cash play, lol.
    cheers again!
  • Options
    ZZCopZZCop Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2009

Let me know which cash tables your playing on so I can join!  I'll teach you a few things. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ZZcop:
    im going to try what dave suggested so i'll be mulling around in the 2/4p tables getting used to cash!

just been hitting the DYM tables, just played the celebrity one for £5, won that, so played another and won that, 1st in both!!!
    i even knocked the celeb (min patel) out, lol!

liking the DYM so will be playing those aswell, £5 ones!
  • Options
    WildDogWildDog Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2009

Its a good idea to play some cash just to get a feel for what hands are worth in cash compared to in tourneys. In cash hands are worth far less than in tourneys so you have to adjust accordingly. For example a pair of 10s or AJ are worthing risking your entire stack when blinds get big in a tourney but in cash its different because the blinds are so small and dont increase. This means ppl are under no pressure to make moves and are therefore more likely to wait for a good hand. 

I would suggest that you play tight pre flop dont go calling raise with QJ and K10 etc, hands where u could well be up against AK or AQ in a cash game and could therefore lose a lot of money if you hit top pair.

Experience is the key to cash poker so keep playing and learn from your mistakes and you will be fine.

• Options
    Nutter5932Nutter5932 Member Posts: 349
    edited June 2009
    I can relate to you here,

i play tournies 99% of the time and cash very occasionally now. When i did mix the two
    i almost would always lose on cash. You have to understand cash is completely different
    to tournies and aggression is perhaps alot more profitable in cash.

If you watch the club when they show cash tables you will notice the aggressive players
    are generally the ones that win and they are obviously good at the game. Bankroll management
    is also a huge factor because for lets say gerrard9...might decide to put you all in for £156 pound
    on HIS flush draw when you have top pair only. Would you do the same re-versed ? call etc -

getting off the point but if your in the game to make money - stick to your tournies as it seems to be a
    winning formula. Unless you think over a period you will gain the experience and know how to win in cash
    games.

• Options
    mrlogicmrlogic Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2009
    same here  i cash alot in tourneys and when it gets past midnight and theres no tourneys left ..i play cash and loose it .. i just cant play cash..