You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

MOBILE BROADBAND-- DONGLE USERS READ THIS!

oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
edited February 2011 in Community Help & Advice
If you are using a mobile dongle broadband connection, you may have problems with timing out and errors--- Here is the best way I have found to minimize/ eliminate these issues

First ---- buy a 3mtr, or a 5mtr usb active extension lead from maplin electronics, or anywhere that sells them

second--- download this mdma signal and speed monitor-----  http://www.nerve.org.za/mdma/
 This is a good one because your signal monitor on the dongle program often takes 20 seconds or so to respond to signal changes-- this one is more or less instant, and is much more accurate

third------ mount your dongle on an old satellite dish--- you can tape it to the front of the reciever on the dish---- or if you cant get an old satellite dish, an old wok will do -- but its a bit harder to find the right position for the dongle-- usually around six inches from the middle of the woks base is correct--- I moved the receiver on the dish backwards an inch (away from the dish) before I taped the dongle on, just to be sure that the dongle is in the best signal spot---- not sure if this is necessary

fourth--- you now have a directional ariel that can find the best and most stable place for your dongle--- connect it to your active extension lead--- open the mdma monitor application-- connect to the internet

Move the dish around in a circle, either outside or in your porch, or wherever you can--- the place with most windows is best

look at the green signal bar on the monitor, you want the place where the signal bar is longest-- anything below 89dbm should be a stable enough signal for poker--- problems start when the signal is worse than 93dbm, although mine often works fine at 95dbm (lower number = better signal ), but I have a new sky satellite dish for my dongle

When you are moving the dish, or wok around, do it slowly, and keep your eye on the green bar-- when you find the right direction (with the longest green bar), then move it up and down, see if you can get the green bar even longer by directing the dish at the horizon, or just above it

Go to a speed test page on the net and test your speed a few times to see how consistant it is--- monitor your speed by looking at the speed on your mdma appication while you download a video from youtube--- hopefully it will be loads better than it was before--- mine is six times faster!

Some people in bad signal areas may have to waterproof their dongle and mount it outside--- but if you find the right direction outside--- then this set up should work in a window that faces in that direction

Two, or even three 5mtr extension leads can be used together, but best if you can get away with one

good luck all---- post here if you have any questions---- all my dongle problems are now solved (touch wood)-- so it can be done, and is well worth the effort

Comments

• oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited December 2010
    Perhaps a Mod could put a sticky on this thread, as it seems a lot of people have problems with mobile broadband
  • billybootsbillyboots Member Posts: 1,197
    edited December 2010
    In Response to MOBILE BROADBAND-- DONGLE USERS READ THIS!:

Great thread.........but please be warned, if you haven't got a wok, do not under any circumstance use your satallite dish for cooking stir fry's in...........the paint peels off and sticks to your beansprouts.

Seriously though, nice one nutter.  
  • OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited January 2011
    LOL

How on earth did this get stickied, good read though
    edited January 2011
    It's an easy way to overcome mobile broadband intermittent signal problems---- it seems that lots of people have timing out troubles with mobile broadband---- this method works, and eliminates them---it also vastly increases your download speed--- good investment imo
  • PenFifteenPenFifteen Member Posts: 429
    edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: MOBILE BROADBAND-- DONGLE USERS READ THIS!:
    LOL How on earth did this get stickied, good read though
    Posted by OMahonyO
    I guess its not a non-stick wok
    edited January 2011
    OY!!! --- wheres me sticky gone?--- This thread could change peoples lives you know!--- mobile broadband can be a proper pain, but this method sorts it right out
    edited January 2011
    bumped for a poor dongle user--- any questions just ask

ps--- you may have to type your apn (access point name) in the box provided on the mdma program---- you can find this in your dongle program or ring your provider for it---ask if you need to know how to find it--- gl
    edited February 2011
    BUMPED AGAIN--- GL