You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Poker Etiquette and Sanctions

acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi all

As we all know there have been some threads on the forum regarding poor etiquette at the poker tables, i.e. Talking about your hand during play and slowrolling, this has got me thinking, what steps would be taken if a player continuously continues to breach etiquette at the tables?

I guess the first thing that would be needed would be to explain to the player that what she/he is doing is not acceptable behaviour, if however that player still continues after that, then what?

I have only ever come accross one instance of a breach of etiquette where a player told us what hand they had, I simply typed in the chatbox, Look I am sorry, but would you please not talk about your hand during play, I was asked why to which I replied it is poor etiquette (Poor Form) to tlak about your hand during play, that player appologised and didnt do it again.
Just thought a bit of clarification may help in this if people come across it.

Many Thanks

Comments

• FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    There isn't really anything you can do, because ettiquette is just that... ' ettiquette'  .. its not actually a rule, its more an aggreed rule amongst players... Agreed most of the time its just not knowing the ettiquette and a polite comment to tell them normally educates the player and it doesnt happen again... As for telling your opponents your holecards this actually IS a rule and if reported can lead to chat bans/warnings.
  • RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Poker Etiquette and Sanctions:
    Hi all As we all know there have been some threads on the forum regarding poor etiquette at the poker tables, i.e. Talking about your hand during play and slowrolling, this has got me thinking, what steps would be taken if a player continuously continues to breach etiquette at the tables? I guess the first thing that would be needed would be to explain to the player that what she/he is doing is not acceptable behaviour, if however that player still continues after that, then what? I have only ever come accross one instance of a breach of etiquette where a player told us what hand they had, I simply typed in the chatbox, Look I am sorry, but would you please not talk about your hand during play, I was asked why to which I replied it is poor etiquette (Poor Form) to tlak about your hand during play, that player appologised and didnt do it again. Just thought a bit of clarification may help in this if people come across it. Many Thanks
    Posted by acebarry10

Are you talking just online here Barry or live too?

Online all you can do is remind the player of good etiquette if it continues i would report them but very little is done about poor etiquette on line in my experience. Maybe a 24 hour chat ban at the most.Problem is most people don't care enough online because they can't be seen and cyberspace is full of internet warriors.

Live i would guess is a different kettle of fish and bad etiquette per se is harder to control for the simple reason that vitually all cardrooms operate different policies and have staff with differing abilities to get involved if a player acts up.
    A live tournament needs a very strong TD or card room manager.
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited September 2009
    Hi

Ricky, was talking about online, never played live :)

Thanks for that Flash, most grateful.
  • FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Etiquette and Sanctions:
    There isn't really anything you can do, because ettiquette is just that... ' ettiquette'  .. its not actually a rule, its more an aggreed rule amongst players... Agreed most of the time its just not knowing the ettiquette and a polite comment to tell them normally educates the player and it doesnt happen again... As for telling your opponents your holecards this actually IS a rule and if reported can lead to chat bans/warnings.
    Posted by FlashFlush
     Sorry i should of explained why... Say for example there are 3 of you in a pot, there has been raising re-raising etc.. PlayerA has gone all in.. player B folds and says i folded A10, Player C may be sat here with 10,10 knowing 1 of 2 outs is gone, or they may have A10 also so they will fold... so telling a player what has been folded can change the way a hand is played out.
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited September 2009
    Some sites block chat while a player is all in.  I think that Sky should introduce this.
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Etiquette and Sanctions :  Sorry i should of explained why... Say for example there are 3 of you in a pot, there has been raising re-raising etc.. PlayerA has gone all in.. player B folds and says i folded A10, Player C may be sat here with 10,10 knowing 1 of 2 outs is gone, or they may have A10 also so they will fold... so telling a player what has been folded can change the way a hand is played out.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Thats fine Flash thank you again m8, apreciate it

• BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited September 2009
    Some sites block chat while a player is all in.  I think that Sky should introduce this.
    Posted by scotty77
    Hi Scotty

I wouldnt go as far as blocking chat in an all-in situation. 

there are times you go all in knowing it will be a race, and at those times i like to be able to say gl to the other runner.  Like you say, on other sites i have found myself unable to do so which is a pity especially if there has been some good natured chat with the person prior to the all -in hand.

hopefully players dont let themselves down in the chat box in an all-in situation but i would rather the few that do are dealt with individually rather than have the chat box blocked for the majority of fair minded players in the community.
    edited September 2009
    You're in a race and you say GL to the other guy.

Hmmmm ok lol.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,862
    edited September 2009
    You're in a race and you say GL to the other guy. Hmmmm ok lol.
    Posted by scotty77
    Whyever not?

It's a game, not a fight.
  • RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited September 2009
    You're in a race and you say GL to the other guy. Hmmmm ok lol.
    Posted by scotty77
    It doesn't happen the majority of the time but from my experience it happens quite a lot.

Its nice to be nice.
    edited September 2009
    I just don't see the point cos its one of those things that you don't actually mean.

I'm fairly polite in general, but I think thats kinda a step too far and just being polite for the sake of it.

For instance saying GL at the start of the tournie is standard cos everyone is equal at that time, but you're playing to win so why bother when you are basically flipping?

But maybe I'm just being pedantic, its 2 letters on a computer screen so who cares lol.
  • bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited September 2009
    Telling   the pass cards, while the hand is still in progress is cheating !! 

However it is a 'tell' that the player is inexperienced so might work to your advantage later  in the game !1

:))  glk Barry
  • Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Etiquette and Sanctions : Whyever not? It's a game, not a fight.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I had this earlier today on a site that was not Sky (AKA another site).. was 3 allins, I was not involved in, I went to say GL to all 3 players, whom I had banter with for 2 hrs, only for "chat disabled while Allin" was infuriating. Ended up bubbling (again) out of 90player - TK I think I need advice soon on keeping momentum going in a 60+player tourney. Anyway came back to Sky cashed in a DYM and was able to wish GL when I went all in with KQ v. A10 ( I hit my K and the other player said GG and all was well in the world)...

Poker is a game, yes cash is involved, but its not war and it's primary reason for being played (imo) is for fun. If you make some cash while you play then all the better for it. But even a break even player gets a lot of entertainment for a few pounds.

Maybe we should have some tables specially created for all the people with no sportsmanship and manners.;)
  • Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2009
    I just don't see the point cos its one of those things that you don't actually mean. I'm fairly polite in general, but I think thats kinda a step too far and just being polite for the sake of it. For instance saying GL at the start of the tournie is standard cos everyone is equal at that time, but you're playing to win so why bother when you are basically flipping? But maybe I'm just being pedantic, its 2 letters on a computer screen so who cares lol.
    Posted by scotty77
    Hi mate,

Surely though if you are flipping the whole point is its really a matter of whose day it is, so saying GL is fair enough.

I do honestly think that the majority of people do actually appreciate others saying GL when their tournament is on the line. Just being kind to each other.

I have to admit I am bad, I say GL to every at the pub poker on every hand lol

Dave
  • KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Etiquette and Sanctions : I had this earlier today on a site that was not Sky (AKA another site).. was 3 allins, I was not involved in, I went to say GL to all 3 players, whom I had banter with for 2 hrs, only for "chat disabled while Allin" was infuriating. Ended up bubbling (again) out of 90player - TK I think I need advice soon on keeping momentum going in a 60+player tourney. Anyway came back to Sky cashed in a DYM and was able to wish GL when I went all in with KQ v. A10 ( I hit my K and the other player said GG and all was well in the world)... Poker is a game, yes cash is involved, but its not war and it's primary reason for being played (imo) is for fun. If you make some cash while you play then all the better for it. But even a break even player gets a lot of entertainment for a few pounds. Maybe we should have some tables specially created for all the people with no sportsmanship and manners.;)
    Posted by Grimstar30
    That would be great to watch, just think of the "banter"!!!