You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

need some sensible advice

webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
hello folks

i need some advice to help me out in my week of need, i have been hurting so much from toothache in recent days i just dont know what to do as i am petrified of dentists, it is my birthday on wednesday and was hoping to go out for a few beers with some friends but unless i face my fears there is no way i will be able to enjoy my self, so what do i do??

1, do i just get so drunk that the pain goes away?

2, stop in and keep taking the painkillers and play poker?

3, be a man and get to the dentist a.s.a.p?

4, tell someone who cares?

thanks for your time

webby

Comments

• MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited September 2009
    In Response to need some sensible advice:
    hello folks i need some advice to help me out in my week of need, i have been hurting so much from toothache in recent days i just dont know what to do as i am petrified of dentists, it is my birthday on wednesday and was hoping to go out for a few beers with some friends but unless i face my fears there is no way i will be able to enjoy my self, so what do i do?? 1, do i just get so drunk that the pain goes away? 2, stop in and keep taking the painkillers and play poker? 3, be a man and get to the dentist a.s.a.p? 4, tell someone who cares? thanks for your time webby
    Posted by webby234
    invite m8s for game of poker..... bring pain killers...or beers....stella sort u out m8....
  • Huck_NallHuck_Nall Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2009
    hello folks i need some advice to help me out in my week of need, i have been hurting so much from toothache in recent days i just dont know what to do as i am petrified of dentists, it is my birthday on wednesday and was hoping to go out for a few beers with some friends but unless i face my fears there is no way i will be able to enjoy my self, so what do i do?? 1, do i just get so drunk that the pain goes away? 2, stop in and keep taking the painkillers and play poker? 3, be a man and get to the dentist a.s.a.p? 4, tell someone who cares? thanks for your time webby
    Posted by webby234
    Hi webby
    I had a bad experience as a child that put me off dentists.
    As a result I suffered excrutiating pain for 20 years!
    15 years ago, I decided to get it sorted once and for all.
    Expecting the dentist to laugh at my teeth, he said he had seen it a thousand times before.
    I had them sorted and ever since I have regularly been every 3 months without problem.
    Just make the move.....
  • webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2009

The last time i went to dentist was 8 years ago and dentist told me i needed a filling, as the needle was coming towards my mouth i said i'm sorry but i cant do this, to this day i have always said that dentist must have been wrong because i have never felt any pain in my teeth untill this last week, i'm starting to think he may have been right

cheers for the tips lads, i really do need to try and sort it out otherwise my son will end up getting terrified of them too.

webby

• FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    Mixture of 1 and 2... take pain killers then get drunk, no pain at all then  ....  p.s then come back home drunk and sit at 1 of my tables :D
  • PILLOWMANPILLOWMAN Member Posts: 1,165
    edited September 2009
    hi webby , tell some one who cares and ask them to go with you . hope you make it ,good luck .
  • PILLOWMANPILLOWMAN Member Posts: 1,165
    edited September 2009
    i believe some dentists can numb the gums without a needle nowadays , they press and hold something ,not sure what , might be worth checking out.
  • SoLackSoLack Member Posts: 2,737
    edited September 2009
    Get drunk and go to the dentist.  All dentists are born out of wedlock as far as I am concerned, you have to be a bit deranged to want to do that job, or else you couldn't hack it as a proper doctor.  Still, they are good at stopping the hurty teeths, so stop being a bleeding wuss and get yourself down there,
  • FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    Make sure if you do go to the dentist you book it for 2.30 ... always appropriate... (tooth hurty for the slow people)
  • DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2009
    Posted by webby234
    Do what I did, get drunk and pull it out with a pair of pliers. Cheaper no pain, and kinda fun when drunk.
  • repton3repton3 Member Posts: 185
    edited September 2009
    Go to the dentist asap.  It will only get worse otherwise and tooth pain is the wrost pain in the world. I've had 2 abscess' before and both times the pain was so intense it made me faint and be sick (not at same time), I hate dentists but curing this pain was the greatest relief I've ever felt.
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited September 2009
    am d same meself m8--i always get really cold water- get a mouthful swill it around the tooth--really hurts at first but then you get relief for five minutes--keep doing it for a day or so and the nerve seems to give up or die or something--gl
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited September 2009
    alternatively--take your son with you to the dentist--then theres no way you can back out --lol
  • RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited September 2009
    Brandy if swilled around the tooth will numb the pain.
  • webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2009
    cheers for the tips guys, i think i am gonna pass on draig's suggestion of pulling it out with the pliers, knowing me i would pull out the wrong tooth lol

i have decided to finish off the rest of my painkillers and hopefully all the nerves might die and leave me alone if not am gonna dentist and getting it took out then taking it home and letting my son smash it up with an hammer ;-)

webby
  • GoodReadsGoodReads Member Posts: 202
    edited September 2009
    I had a filling fall out, i was in instant pain withing 10min...Went to a well known supermarket that sounds like fASDAn where they sell "emergency tooth filling" if you know what tooth it is give it a good clean then put the filler in "comes in a little tube and turns hard after 10mins in mouth" as soon as i covered the tooth my pain instantly went and the fillings last upto 1month a time.

Hope this helps as i know there is nothing worse than toothache

gl
  • bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited September 2009
     I had a greyhound  knock out one of my front teeth,  I picked it up washed it and stuck it back with superglue !!
    The dentist laughed but was  impressed  :))
  • FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
    edited September 2009

Hi Webby. You need to get this monkey off your back. Pain, or any type of physical discomfort rarely cures itself, so you'll be heading towards long-term problems if you don't get this sorted... It can only get worse.

You mention your son, and that's a pretty potent image to help you get this sorted out. Try repeating this mantra: “I've had a problem all my life with dentists, and it's caused me trouble. My son will follow in my footsteps if I don't step up to the plate and show him this can be overcome”.

Secondly... And this might sound a bit 'New Age', but I can highly recommend EFT (Emotional Freedom Therapy). It's a kind of self-administered Acupuncture (but don't worry, it involves tapping instead of needles). Now don't laugh, but you can find some details here: http://www.emofree.com and you can even download some free guides. Yep, sounds daft, but give it a whirl. Although, please remember to get someone to video your efforts; post it up on Youtube and then send us all the link ;)

Seriously, you need to beat this. A dentist appointment is only 30-45 minutes of your life in a chair, to sort out something that's giving you agony. You can do that, can't you? 

For once, drugs are not the answer.

Best of luck.

• Rubes375Rubes375 Member Posts: 61
    edited September 2009
    [x] man up and go to the dentist
  • KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited September 2009
        I'm like you, hate the dentist! Just take painkillers, but only when the pain gets unbearable. Don't pop them like Smarties or they lose their effectiveness. Works for me every time.

You could also try sucking on ice cubes, this can help to deaden the nerve endings.