You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

POKER ETIQUETTE.... WHEN IS A LINE GOING TO BE DRAWN...?

jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
HI ALL,

I HAVEN'T DONE A POST FOR A WHILE BUT BEEN LOOKING AT THE FORUM AND THE "INTHING" AT THE MOMENT IS THE SUBJECT OF POKER ETIQUETTE, EVERYONE IS GOING ON ABOUT IT INCLUDING MYSELF... BUT SURELY THE TRUE POKER PLAYERS OUT THERE RISE ABOVE IT... THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE IS THAT EVERYONE IS INDIVIDUAL AND REACTS IN DIFFERENT WAYS... NOW ILL GIVE U SOME EXAMPLES WHAT CAN BE DEEMED AS ABUSIVE... FIRSTLY VERBAL... SWEARING DIRECTLY IS CLEARLY A NO NO... BUT SOMETIMES IT HAPPENS OUT OF FRUSTRATION... NOW IF A PERSON TAKES IT DIFEERENT FROM ANOTHER HOW CAN A BOUNDARY BE ENFORCED... WHAT I MEAN IS SOMEONE MIGHT SAY "WHAT AN IDIOT CALL".. OR U  "FKN MORON"... LETS NOT SIT ON THE FENCE... IT HAPPENS... IF I GET CALLED THAT I JUST BRUSH IT OFF TO ONE SIDE... BUT PEOPLE OUT THERE IM SURE ARE STRAIGHT ON TO CUSTOMER SERVICE SAYING THERE GOT CALLED A MORON ETC... THIS IS MY POINT... THERE NEEDS TO BE STRICT BOUNDARIES WHICH IS ACCEPTABLE AND WHICH ISNT.... THERFORE EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT CAN B DEEMED OFFENSIVE OR NOT.... NOW IF I GET CALLED A FKN FISH.... DO I PHONE UP BECASUE HE/SHE SWORE... NO... BUT AGAIN IF IT IS REPETIVE..I MAKE A NOTE... AND IF I COME ACROSS THIS PLAYER AGAIN ILL INFORM THEM THAT THEY MAY BE POSSIBLY REPORTED...IF IT CONTINUES... THE POINT IM TRYING TO MAKE IS USE UR COMMON SENSE.... AND IF IT ANNOYS U TURN CHAT OFF..QUITE SIMPLE REALLY..

ANOTHER POINT ID LIKE TO RAISE... WAS PLAYING A CASH GAME EARLIER AND WE HAD A GOOD TABLE, PLENTY OF BANTER AND RESPECT FOR EACH OTHERS PLAY ( U KNOW WHO U R;-) THEN A MR SHORTY SAT DOWN WIV £2.. AND COMMENTED LITERALLY ON EVERY HAND... WHETHER IT WAS IN JEST OR TRUTH WHO KNOWS... I  AND THE OTHER PLAYERS POLITELY ASKED HIM/HER TO REFRAIN FROM DOING THIS... BUT EVERY NOW N THEN KEPT COMMENTING... IT WAS POOR ETIQUETTE BECAUSE THEY WERE TRYING TO ANNOY EVERYONE... U COULD SENSE IT... HOWEVER THEY BUST OUT PRETTY SOON... AND RELOADED AND JUST SAT THERE... NOT PLAYING...WHEN BLIND POSTING THEY CLICKED THE AWAY BUTTON, AND SAID "IM STAYING HERE TO ANNOY U... NOW WE ALL IGNORED THIS PLAYER TO START WITH BUT THERE COMES A TIME WHEN U NEED TO RESPOND,AFTER A FEW STEARN WARNINGS  THEY SOON WENT.... BUT FOR A MOMENT IT WAS VERY FRUSTRATING.... AND REFLECTING ON IT....U COULD SEE THAT THIS WAS JUST SOME CHAP WHO HAD TO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS... U GET THEM.... ALL IM SAYING IS YES LETS REPORT SEVERE VERBAL ABUSIVE... BUT ALSO USE SOME COMMON SENSE. CHEERS JIM.

Comments

• Huck_NallHuck_Nall Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2009
    I agree with the sentiments of your post jimbo.
    The simple fact is that there is far less sledging on Sky than most of the major sites and long may it continue.
    It certainly doesnt bother me anyway.....sticks and stones etc......but if it did I would just turn off chat.
  • Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited September 2009
    We all get abuse from time to time, Some people just do it to annoy people more. Recently sat at a DYM and first hand had 55 in small blind. I called a min raise and flopped trips. The villain then pushed all in which naturally i called without hesitation for him to show top pair. Upon his demise from the tourney i was treated to a huge amount of abuse including the C word spaced beautifully out for all to see. Yes it is damaging for the site for so many people to give out abuse but you do tend to find this sort of abuse only comes from losing players. Any self respecting player knows he will lose hands at times and getting angry is not the way to react. I wont however, ever turn the chat box off as sometimes more is disclosed between players. I have been on the end of some blatant cheating before now that would have been missed if the chat was closed. Unless i know someone at the table, very often i Just stay quiet and just read and learn.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,760
    edited September 2009

I like getting abuse means im doing a good job.Its not the abuse that bothers me its when they say they want you to die of cancer or something thats just sick and they should be automatically chat banned

• acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited September 2009
    In Response to POKER ETIQUETTE.... WHEN IS A LINE GOING TO BE DRAWN...?:
    HI ALL,   I HAVEN'T DONE A POST FOR A WHILE BUT BEEN LOOKING AT THE FORUM AND THE "INTHING" AT THE MOMENT IS THE SUBJECT OF POKER ETIQUETTE, EVERYONE IS GOING ON ABOUT IT INCLUDING MYSELF... BUT SURELY THE TRUE POKER PLAYERS OUT THERE RISE ABOVE IT... THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE IS THAT EVERYONE IS INDIVIDUAL AND REACTS IN DIFFERENT WAYS... NOW ILL GIVE U SOME EXAMPLES WHAT CAN BE DEEMED AS ABUSIVE... FIRSTLY VERBAL... SWEARING DIRECTLY IS CLEARLY A NO NO... BUT SOMETIMES IT HAPPENS OUT OF FRUSTRATION... NOW IF A PERSON TAKES IT DIFEERENT FROM ANOTHER HOW CAN A BOUNDARY BE ENFORCED... WHAT I MEAN IS SOMEONE MIGHT SAY "WHAT AN IDIOT CALL".. OR U  "FKN MORON"... LETS NOT SIT ON THE FENCE... IT HAPPENS... IF I GET CALLED THAT I JUST BRUSH IT OFF TO ONE SIDE... BUT PEOPLE OUT THERE IM SURE ARE STRAIGHT ON TO CUSTOMER SERVICE SAYING THERE GOT CALLED A MORON ETC... THIS IS MY POINT... THERE NEEDS TO BE STRICT BOUNDARIES WHICH IS ACCEPTABLE AND WHICH ISNT.... THERFORE EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT CAN B DEEMED OFFENSIVE OR NOT.... NOW IF I GET CALLED A FKN FISH.... DO I PHONE UP BECASUE HE/SHE SWORE... NO... BUT AGAIN IF IT IS REPETIVE..I MAKE A NOTE... AND IF I COME ACROSS THIS PLAYER AGAIN ILL INFORM THEM THAT THEY MAY BE POSSIBLY REPORTED...IF IT CONTINUES... THE POINT IM TRYING TO MAKE IS USE UR COMMON SENSE.... AND IF IT ANNOYS U TURN CHAT OFF..QUITE SIMPLE REALLY.. ANOTHER POINT ID LIKE TO RAISE... WAS PLAYING A CASH GAME EARLIER AND WE HAD A GOOD TABLE, PLENTY OF BANTER AND RESPECT FOR EACH OTHERS PLAY ( U KNOW WHO U R;-) THEN A MR SHORTY SAT DOWN WIV £2.. AND COMMENTED LITERALLY ON EVERY HAND... WHETHER IT WAS IN JEST OR TRUTH WHO KNOWS... I  AND THE OTHER PLAYERS POLITELY ASKED HIM/HER TO REFRAIN FROM DOING THIS... BUT EVERY NOW N THEN KEPT COMMENTING... IT WAS POOR ETIQUETTE BECAUSE THEY WERE TRYING TO ANNOY EVERYONE... U COULD SENSE IT... HOWEVER THEY BUST OUT PRETTY SOON... AND RELOADED AND JUST SAT THERE... NOT PLAYING...WHEN BLIND POSTING THEY CLICKED THE AWAY BUTTON, AND SAID "IM STAYING HERE TO ANNOY U... NOW WE ALL IGNORED THIS PLAYER TO START WITH BUT THERE COMES A TIME WHEN U NEED TO RESPOND,AFTER A FEW STEARN WARNINGS  THEY SOON WENT.... BUT FOR A MOMENT IT WAS VERY FRUSTRATING.... AND REFLECTING ON IT....U COULD SEE THAT THIS WAS JUST SOME CHAP WHO HAD TO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS... U GET THEM.... ALL IM SAYING IS YES LETS REPORT SEVERE VERBAL ABUSIVE... BUT ALSO USE SOME COMMON SENSE. CHEERS JIM.
    Posted by jimbo31
    Hi jimbo

I did a thread a while back making suggestions as to what is deamed accetable and non accetable behaviour in the chat box setting out clear do,s and dont,s and what outcomes are possible, that wonderful SkyRich got back to me, he had passed my suggestions on to the powers that be and informed me that the rules were to be updated, unfortunately I have not heard any further.

Sky Rich if you read this, could you please tell me what is happening if you know of course :)

Many, many thanks
  • Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited September 2009
    let me do some inquiring guys and i'll get back to you with an answer
    edited September 2009

I also read in another thread recently that chat bans were given out on a points system. Depending on how many complaints received against an individual player and the severity of the abuse. If they go over a certain amount of points they get banned for a specific period of time. How true this is and how its enforced i have no idea. I dont know of anyone who has reported someone else, let alone someone having multiple complaints against him but then again I suppose the reporter nor the reportee would brag about such a thing.

edited September 2009
    Hey Hale72,

there is no points system. our customer care team take all reports of chat abuse very seriously and will investigate each reported case (and from the facts) hand out a chat ban. the length of which will depend on the severity of the abuse.

the 4 levels of ban are 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or life.

thanks,

Rich
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: POKER ETIQUETTE.... WHEN IS A LINE GOING TO BE DRAWN...?:
    Hey Hale72, there is no points system. our customer care team take all reports of chat abuse very seriously and will investigate each reported case (and from the facts) hand out a chat ban. the length of which will depend on the severity of the abuse. the 3 levels of ban are 1 month, 3 months or life. thanks, Rich
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Thanks for the clarification... Misleading forum posts again!!!
    I thought a points sytem would be difficicult to regulate and like i said i have never heard of multiple complaints against anyone.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,824
    edited September 2009
       Hi Jimbo  I've been banging on about this for some time but not in the Poker chat more on the Forum.  I'm for free speech as you know but not abuse. In my attempt to go close to the edge I have overstepped the mark and have just been given Official Warning. However I was not told who complained or if in fact anyone did or what constituted my warning ie, where. I overstepped the line. Very cloak and dagger.  It seems the scrutineers have the rules and they zap or leave what they decide is acceptable or not. They will not define a given line you must not cross. Your example was well put and shows that some will except things that others wont. Have been told three strikes your out.  But it could be one depending on the severity of the crime  Question is what to do.?   Answer, be an ANGEL.!!!!!!!!!!
  • FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
    edited September 2009

I totally agree with the mainstream sentiments here, and Jimbo, I kind of agree with your post... by the way, typing in CAPS ALL THE TIME looks like you're shouting, and I might find that abusive and have to report you to Sky Support (for the avoidance of doubt, I am KIDDING!!!).

Sorry, I digressed... Back to the point.

The reason I say that I kind of agree with your post Jimbo, is because you seem to be making a case for allowing some vitriol... Just not too much. And that's the part that:

1. I don't agree with

2. I don't think you can enforce.

Why? Because it means drawing up a rule book that states: “You can by all means call a player a MORON for raising your pocket aces, and winning with 4,5 off suit, but you can't call them a FKN MORON”. That rule book could end up getting pretty weighty, and I sincerely doubt anyone would read it.

My belief, is that you can dispense with rules and 'drawing lines' of acceptable behaviour, purely by asking one simple question before you let the insults fly. That question is: “If I were at a live tournament, playing six handed, would I call someone that I didn't know, 'A Moron?'”

My guess is that you wouldn't. My advice is, that you shouldn't. Ever. There's just no need for it.

In your second paragraph, you start by alluding to people who know each other (and understand each other's humour), getting involved in banter. Not only is that fine, but I believe it's one of the most enjoyable elements of the game. But if you've got people at the table who don't know you; who don't know that you're joking; and who may be put off; offended or intimidated by those antics and choice of language, then that too, is out of order. They've paid their money, just like everyone else, and are perfectly entitled to a good time. 

It's about respect and consideration, that's all. Ultimately, it just comes down to common sense. Unfortunately, some people don't use common sense, and shoot from the lip too quickly.

In summary, does a line need to be drawn? Yes. But all you need to do, is stop to consider how those around you will react to your comments, before dishing out the chat.

Now... who wants a big, squashy cuddle?

edited September 2009
    let me do some inquiring guys and i'll get back to you with an answer
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Thank you Rich
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: POKER ETIQUETTE.... WHEN IS A LINE GOING TO BE DRAWN...? : Thank you Rich
    Posted by acebarry10
    hey Barry,

ok i have done some digging around and found an outline for the rules of poker table chat. this is still a working document and it is pretty brief, however i dont think this has to be a longwinded thing and the rules are pretty clear from the outset as to what is acceptable.

Chat Abuse on the Poker Tables:   A player will have their chat privileges removed if they commit one or more of the following offences:   Chatting in languages other than English at the tablesUsing abusive language at the tables (abusing other players)Discussing hands at the tables   depending on the severity or....
      1st Offence = 1 month chat ban2nd Offence = 2 months chat ban3rd Offence = Permanent chat ban
    however it will also be the discretion of the customer care team to hand out bans that don't always fit within these guidelines - depending on the severity of the case (e.g. 6 months.)

edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: POKER ETIQUETTE.... WHEN IS A LINE GOING TO BE DRAWN...? : hey Barry, ok i have done some digging around and found an outline for the rules of poker table chat. this is still a working document and it is pretty brief, however i dont think this has to be a longwinded thing and the rules are pretty clear from the outset as to what is acceptable. Chat Abuse on the Poker Tables:   A player will have their chat privileges removed if they commit one or more of the following offences:   Chatting in languages other than English at the tables Using abusive language at the tables (abusing other players) Discussing hands at the tables   depending on the severity or....   1 st Offence = 1 month chat ban 2 nd Offence = 2 months chat ban 3 rd Offence = Permanent chat ban however it will also be the discretion of the customer care team to hand out bans that don't always fit within these guidelines - depending on the severity of the case (e.g. 6 months.)
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Hi Rich

Thank you for that, think it makes it all clear.

Lets hope it doesnt have to be used, but I doubt it sigh

Take care m8 and thanks again
  • jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited September 2009

MUCH APPRECIATED RICH... THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE...;-)

• RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited September 2009
     Sky poker is unique in the fact that the players here often play for the social occasion therefore will simply not want to turn their chat off because this would stop them conversing with their buddies in the community.

Therefore sky poker because it has its own site and unique community spirit should be a little harder than other sites on this matter.

When i play elsewhere i multi table and turn my chat off so i don't get distracted but here i'd be loathed to do that because the poker is more for fun

Its actually physically a lot harder to swear online because you can't just say it so therefore becomes a more concious act therefore more serious.

Its all a matter of self control and those who cannot execute self control probably don't have the discipline to play poker anyway.