You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

A new tournament format

RattiousRattious Member Posts: 382
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
I recently emailed Tikay with this idea and he told me tonight that he had pocket aces, he also told me he had forwarded my email to the brass at head office, so I thought I'd jump the gun.. (I was raising under it when I was made aware of his big pockets) and try to generate some interest in a new tournament for SKY.... I had previously discussed the idea in a tournament chat box and it seemed to get a fair bit of support; if it is a format you would play please show your support and add a comment.  The idea is:

A six seater format, open to up to 1296 players, there are 3 qualifying rounds in which only the winners on each table progress to the next round and ulitimately to a lucrative final table.
At the start of the tournament each table starts with 3000 chips divided between the players on that table, if there is not a full quota some players start with more than 500 chips but they dont have an advantage because the players are then "locked in" to that table for 20 mins.
The blinds increase every ten mins, so in each of the first 3 rounds the blinds increase only once and on the final table they increase every 10 mins, the decision time in the qualifying bouts should be short to prevent a leader slow playing, perhaps only 10 seconds.
At the start of each "bout" the blinds are 1 % and 2 % (rising to 2%/4%) of the average starting stack - 500 being the average in the first bout, 3000 in the second etc, the winner/leader at the end of each 20 min bout takes all through to the next round.
After three, twenty min rounds there will be 6 players on a final table, each with 108000 chips and blinds starting at 1000/2000 which increase at ten mins intervals. (If its a runner it would therefore fit into a 2 hour tv slot!)
The crux of the format is that only the final table cash and all 6 players cash, but the values of course ramp up significantly. I suggest:
1st 37.5%
2nd 25%
3rd 15%
4th 10%
5th 7.5%
6th 5%
If the tournament was only a £5.50 buy in I am sure there would be a full house (sic), as 6th place would be worth £324 and first £2430!
And with a uniquely level playing field at the start of a final table with massive steps up the cash ladder and ten mins between quite severe blind increases there should be some interesting play that would make good viewing!

I think this will appear to SNG and MTT players.... I look forward to being vindicated and ridiculed!

Comments

• oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited September 2009
    sounds like fun to me rat--hope it goes through--i'm init--good luck
  • RattiousRattious Member Posts: 382
    edited September 2009
    Cheers M8,

I think it would be a great format and provide good value, in most cases players will at least get 20 mins play for their stake!
  • Aquanaut1Aquanaut1 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2009
    6 paid out of 1296 is a ridiculous payout structure that will put off a lot of players.

It will be a complete crapshoot with players going allin with any 2 cards because only the winner goes through.

edited September 2009
    By that logic the qualifers for the major tournaments where only one in ten go through are just simple shoot outs too.

You always get one or two players going all in with any two cards in any game... Scary formats, Bounties etc all encourage some players to do this early on in a game. But I think in the format suggested, with a flat blind structure and short decision time in the twenty min bouts, there will be plenty of opportnities to pick your moment to move and to call others moves.

The flat blind structure is there to encourage preflop raises priced to play poker rather than preflop raises just to steal blinds.

There will inevitably be more action towards the end of each bout, so the idea is to be aggressive and controlled throughout and to play a total game... if you all pass the blinds then yes there will be six players all in at the death and all with a chance of winning, but if you take chips from the out set you you will be positioned to take advantage of this. 

And with and entry fee of just £5.50 I think this represents a good opportunity to make big money for good play.

After all, there are plenty of players who pay £22 quid on a Thursday night and find that they have to go all with any two cards within twenty mins!

• Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited September 2009
    Seen a similar format on other sites. Only with bigger cash bubble. Not a huge fan of these and from memory didnt see many registering for them. It just appears a cross between SNG and MTT.
    Sky effectively already run a multi table SNG which again doesnt appear very popular however, with the possibility of T.V. time I'm sure it would have people racing to play it.
  • webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2009
    i dont think this is gonna work imo you wont get anywhere 1296 entries at £5.50

gl though

webby
  • razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited September 2009
    if you want honesty i cant see this working tbh m8
    edited September 2009

Some good points made and appreciated; what if it was run as a true SNG format (with normal blinds) starting at 7pm with the winner  going through to subsequent rounds on the hour?

If it was a once a month tournament, with enough publicity and a TV slot featuring play from round 3 and the final table do you guys think it would attract enough entrants?