You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Weekend footy betting (5th/6th)

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited February 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
Hopefully my bets will go better than me trying to type out this flippin' post. I'd nearly finished it when I got one of those stupid annoying pop ups that wouldn't go away & I ended up losing the whole lot that I'd just written!!! AARRRGGGHHH!!!

Right then, trying to get back to what I was doing..............

Two bets for me to begin with this weekend. I'll probably add one or two tomorrow as well.

Main Acca:

Forest/Watford - Both score @ 5/6
Oldham to beat Dagenham (H) @ 4/6
Peterborough/Southampton - Both score @ 8/15
Bury to beat Burton (H) @ 4/5

These 4 pay a shade under 15/2 so I've had my usual tenner.

Watford are one of those teams who concede almost as many as they score & anyone who takes points against them are generally made to work for them. Forest are in good form at the moment & are actually unbeaten at the City Ground so far this term but they're in for a tough test tomorrow. In the last 10 league meetings between the two sides there have only been 2 games where one or both sides have failed to score.
Oldham's recent good form has propelled them into the play off spots & it's at Boundary Park where they're strongest with only 2 defeats there all season. Despite their crushing 4-1 win at home to Brentford in midweek Dagenham are still 2nd bottom in League 1 & a lot of that is to do with their poor away record. With only 3 wins & 8 defeats from 13 on their travels this term I can only see more misery on their visit to the North West.
Peterborough are certainly the entertainers in League 1. They're the divisions top scorers with 56 goals in 26 games but they've also got the 3rd worst defensive record in the division with 51 conceded. Only Walsall & Bristol Rovers have conceded more (53 & 54 respectively) & they're both in the relegation spots! In midweek they shared 8 goals with Sheffield Wednesday in a thrilling 5-3 win & this time round they host a Southampton side who can certainly score goals themselves. This bet should be as close to a banker as you're ever likely to get.
Bury look as though they've come out of their recent dip & are now unbeaten in 4, winning their last 2. They play host to a Burton side who are outside of the 2 relegation spots by virtue of goal difference only. This is largely due to the fact that they've been awful on the road this season with only 1 win in 10 attempts. In those 10 games they've only scored 9 goals & 3 of those came at Rotherham early in the season. Bury also have the upper hand in the meetings between them too having won this fixture 3-0 last season as well as winning 3-1 at Burton back in November.

Massive Long Shot Acca:

Man City (-1) to beat West Brom (H) @ 11/10
Arsenal (-1) to beat Newcastle (A) @ 13/8
Stoke to beat Sunderland (H) @ 11/10
Wigan/Blackburn - DRAW @ 12/5
Ipswich to beat Sheff Utd (H) @ 5/6
Gillingham to beat Oxford (H) @ 11/10

These 6 potentially pay a massive 151/1 so only a quid here. I just like the idea of winning big in relation to your stake. Plus it makes things a bit more interesting!

City know that they need to win this game & by a decent margin if they're to force themselves back into the title race. It's not difficult to see where their goals might come from & they've already beaten West Brom 2-0 at the Hawthorns earlier in the season. West Brom are in freefall at the moment with only 1 win in their last 8 & only 1 goal in their last 4 on the road. IMO, this price should be shorter than this so if you're gonna take a longer shot then get on this one.
Quite frankly I just cannot see where Newcastle's goals are gonna come from now. Yes, Carroll has been injured for the past few weeks so they've not had him recently anyway but they've also lost Ameobi too which leaves them with very little quality up front. The message from Wenger should be quite simple tomorrow, take Nolan & Barton out of the game & they should win this at a canter. Arsenal have won their last 6 in all competitions & have already beaten Newcastle 4-0 at St James' in the Carling Cup back in October. Again, given the circumstances this price is seriously huge.
Stoke may have lost their last 2 games but they've also won their last 2 at the Britannia. Tony Pulis rested a couple of players for their midweek trip to Anfield so his key men should be fresher for this one. They've got a good record at home to Sunderland too winning both their premier league meetings at home by 1-0. At this price I'm willing to take a punt on Stoke keeping that record up.
Wigan have drawn far too many games this season (obviously a good thing from my point of view!) & they come up against a Blackburn side who haven't done particularly well away from Ewood Park. Wigan don't score too many at home & Blackburn are the same on the road so I can only see one outcome at the DW.
Ipswich have started to pick up under Paul Jewell & have won their last 2 in the league. Sheffield Utd are the visitors this weekend & they're on an awful run of form at the moment. They've just 1 win & 7 defeats in their last 10 league games & have already lost at home to Ipswich back in November. 
Gillingham have been in fantastic form since the middle of November with only 1 defeat in 11 & I'm taking a gamble that they'll continue that run at home to Oxford. In fact Gillingham's good run started with a 1-0 win at the Kassam Stadium back in November. Oxford come into this game on the back of 2 defeats, both of which were on the road.

Good luck if you're having a go this weekend

Jay

Comments

• Options
    TORTUS007TORTUS007 Member Posts: 456
    edited February 2011
        I have backed Chesterfield- but doubled them with Luton (won tonight) so that the win is better than evens.
    for entry to the 12freeroll, and my winnings will pay for the deal or no deal game, and I'll be in the 12freeroll for free. Oh, i might win on the deal game for a bonus.
    I've also done a double on luton+ Leicester.
    I fancy Hull to win at Scunthorpe aswell.
      Good luck with your bet jay.
  • Options
    JIMMYMADJIMMYMAD Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2011
    Is it me Bob or do you not like us Sheffield United :) i wouldn't bet on us at this for final score because we do everything but score at the moment. Overall like the bets Bob if Chesterfield, Rotherham are playing at home try betting on them they usally a good bet.
  • Options
    DPhillipsDPhillips Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2011
    Any 1 think these bets have a chance?

Rochdale to beat Swindon
    Blackburn and Wigan to draw

£5 double?

also Man United to win 3-0 ( rooney first goal )

let me know plz

cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've already backed Chesterfield, Leicester + Hull.
    Adding Carlisle + Oldham to them now.

You're right about Chesterfield + Rotherham, JIMMYMAD - When ever I've backed them at home, over the last 4 years, they have very rarely let me down.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (5th/6th):
    Is it me Bob or do you not like us Sheffield United :) i wouldn't bet on us at this for final score because we do everything but score at the moment. Overall like the bets Bob if Chesterfield, Rotherham are playing at home try betting on them they usally a good bet.
    Posted by JIMMYMAD
    I did consider Chesterfield & Rotherham but something's nagging me about them at the moment which is why I didn't back them. Chesterfield have drawn their last 3 & 2 of those were against Stockport & Bradford who are both struggling plus Aldershot are capable of getting something from the game as well. Rotherham have beeen all over the place recently too losing 4 of their last 5 & I just don't fancy them against a Crewe side who are getting spanked one minute & picking up good results the next.

I've nothing against United btw, although I do have a bit of a dislike for the chairman ;)

I've done one more for this afternoon

Both to Score Acca:

Everton/Blackpool @ 8/11
    Burnley/Norwich @ 4/6
    Forest/Watford @ 5/6
    Bournemouth/Leyton Orient @ 8/11
    Peterborough/Southampton @ 8/15
    Southend/Shrewsbury @ 5/6
    Hereford/Lincoln @ 4/6

This little lot pays a juicy 42/1 so I've had a couple of quid on it.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In Response to Football:
    Any 1 think these bets have a chance? Rochdale to beat Swindon Blackburn and Wigan to draw £5 double? also Man United to win 3-0 ( rooney first goal ) let me know plz cheers
    Posted by DPhillips
    Personally I wouldn't back this scoreline. These two have played each other 5 times in the top flight over the past 7 years & on only one occasion have Utd won by more than 1 goal (3-0 at Old Trafford back in December 2009). Don't forget, it took a 93rd minute winner from Park to Utd to win 2-1 at Old Trafford back in November.

If you fancy taking a longer shot then it might be worth backing Rooney & a 2-0 win in a scorecast & I imagine you'll probably get somewhere around 20's for that which might be worth a couple of quid.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2011

Not had a bet today but what a cracking afternoon it has been !!!!

Great soccer saturday programme, goals goals goals.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    OMG!!!

Silly season has returned & this time it's bigger!!

Arsenal drawing 4-4 after being 4-0 up!
    Everton winning 5-3 after being 2-1 up then 2-3 down!!
    Wigan & Blackburn sharing SEVEN goals between them!!!

Crazy day
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    On to tomorrow's games & as I'm not a big fan of betting on the foreign games I've decided to stick with the 3 English ones (well, I say English games but seeing as one is a South Wales derby that's not strictly true).

West Ham to beat Birmingham (H) @ evens
    Chelsea/Liverpool - Under 2.5 goals @ 4/5
    Swansea/Cardiff - Both to Score @ 10/11

The treble pays a decent enough 11/2 so it's the usual tenner on.

This is a massive 6 pointer at Upton Park tomorrow & one that we must win. If getting out of the bottom three isn't a big enough incentive to take the points then add in a revenge mission for the Carling Cup exit & that should do it. We've got a decent record against Birmingham in the top flight particularly at home where we're unbeaten in 3 (unbeaten in 4 if you include the cup semi a few weeks ago). Of these 4 games we've won three of them. We've got a bit if momentum with us at the moment as well with a great win on the road in midweek & some strikers who have finally figured out what it is they're paid to do! This is Robbie Keane's home debut as well so the place will be rocking. Birmingham won't make it easy for us though so I expect a close game but their record away from St Andrews is poor to say the least. In 11 attempts so far they've won just 1 on the road.
    Excluding Champions League meetings, 12 of the last 13 meetings between Chelsea & Liverpool have provided 2 goals or less & despite the hype surrounding this match I think we might just see more of the same here. Both sides are in good form at the moment & neither side will want to lose so it's gonna be tight at the back. I think Chelsea are more likely to nick the points in this one although I wouldn't put anyone off backing the draw @ 3/1 either. As I was so undecided about the final result I thought this was a better bet.
    Derbies between Swansea & Cardiff haven't been any bigger than this in recent times as both sides are looking to grab that 2nd automatic promotion spot. Swansea don't lose too many at home but they're up against a Cardiff side who have plenty of goals & fight in them. Since Swansea were promoted to the Championship back in 2008 these two have met 5 times & the game in Cardiff back in November was the first time either side had failed to score. I think the draw is probably the most likely outcome at the Liberty Stadium but backing both to score is a better bet as it really doesn't who, if anyone comes out on top.

I also had a free £5 single bet to use by tomorrow as well so I've taken a gamble to win big with it & stuck it on Victor Obinna to score first & West ham to win 2-1 @ 40/1. Potentially £200 for nothing so here's hoping :)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
       WHY I LIKE BACKING SINGLES + DOUBLES.

I only got 50% (3 out of 6) of my selections right, but still made a profit.
    Usually get about 2/3, right.
     Luton+Leicester  50 double           +57
    Luton+Chesterfield 20 double                 -20
    Hull   20 single                             +28
    Carlisle 20 single                                   -20
    Oldham  20 single                                 -20

+85   -60  = 25 profit

I agreed with what you said about chesterfield+rotherham jay, even before kick off, I could'nt have backed rotherham, but although chesterfield are wobbling, I thought they'd be strong enough to beat aldershot.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Today, just a £20 single on West Ham @11/10.

West Ham won their home cup leg, and seem to be improving at the moment-Birmingham seem to be going the other way.