You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Poker Outs....Again

RollWithItRollWithIt Member Posts: 13
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
Apologies, I don't think the cards could be viewed in mmy last email.  What I'm asking is say u have 2 spades in your hand; A,7 for example and the flop is:

4h,8s,ks

Most websites say you have 9 outs - all the remaining spades in the deck. 

Is the A and 7 in your hand not outs aswell??  ie 3 more outs for the A, and another 3 more outs for the 7? 

Please advise!

Comments

• FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    This depends on what the other player has... if the other player has 4,8... K4.. K8.. or trips then no, as you would need runner runner. Generally the number of outs included are ones that if they come on the board they will make an instant change to who is leading the hand
  • RollWithItRollWithIt Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2009
    thanks - any ideas on the internet that teaches you ALL about outs?!!
  • PiAnOpLaYaPiAnOpLaYa Member Posts: 554
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poker Outs....Again:
    thanks - any ideas on the internet that teaches you ALL about outs?!!
    Posted by RollWithIt
    You will only know your outs if u can see opponents hand
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited September 2009

Hi

Here is a link you may find useful, hope it helps.

http://www.pokersyte.com/texas_holdem_poker_odds_6.htm

edited September 2009
    If you want to know a certain hands odds of you winning/losing then just type poker odds calculator into google and you will find them there... But generally if you want to be able to work it out as i happens it goes a bit like this...

Lets say you have A7ss like your exanple.. and flop is Ks, Jc, 3s.. ok with how the betting goes lets say you have correctly put him on Q,J .. To win this hand you need any A, and any spade.. so your outs are as follows

Ax3
    Spadex 9
    = 12 outs

As this is only on the FLOP there are 2 more cards to come therefor you double the amount of outs, because you get 2 goes at hitting it, so you have 24 outs with a remaining 45 cards left in the deck. Therefor at this stage even though you are actually behind as it stands, you are actually going to outdraw him more times than not as 24 outs is more than half the 45 cards left.... (off the top of my head thats around 55% fav??) Lets say the turn is a blank.. you then go back to your 12 outs with now 44 cards remaining, now making you only about a 25-30% underdog... This is why some people prefer to ship all their chips in on a draw as they are mathematicly ahead then and dont want to keep calling bets to the river... Personally i prefer to see the turn, if cheap enough and if its still cheap to do so then see river.... Knowing your % chance to win then brings on "Pot Odds" if you have 25% chance to win you should only call a bet of 25% or less than the pot.

Hope this hasnt confused you :-) Any questions post and either I or someone else will try help

• OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited September 2009
    If you want to know a certain hands odds of you winning/losing then just type poker odds calculator into google and you will find them there... But generally if you want to be able to work it out as i happens it goes a bit like this...  Lets say you have A7ss like your exanple.. and flop is Ks, Jc, 3s.. ok with how the betting goes lets say you have correctly put him on Q,J .. To win this hand you need any A, and any spade.. so your outs are as follows Ax3 Spadex 9 = 12 outs  As this is only on the FLOP there are 2 more cards to come therefor you double the amount of outs, because you get 2 goes at hitting it, so you have 24 outs with a remaining 45 cards left in the deck. Therefor at this stage even though you are actually behind as it stands, you are actually going to outdraw him more times than not as 24 outs is more than half the 45 cards left.... (off the top of my head thats around 55% fav??) Lets say the turn is a blank.. you then go back to your 12 outs with now 44 cards remaining, now making you only about a 25-30% underdog... This is why some people prefer to ship all their chips in on a draw as they are mathematicly ahead then and dont want to keep calling bets to the river... Personally i prefer to see the turn, if cheap enough and if its still cheap to do so then see river.... Knowing your % chance to win then brings on "Pot Odds" if you have 25% chance to win you should only call a bet of 25% or less than the pot.  Hope this hasnt confused you :-) Any questions post and either I or someone else will try help  
    Posted by FlashFlush
    This is con fusing things a bit.  Outs do not double they remain the same. %chance of winning the pot is what increases or decreases.  I think what you are talking about is, number of outs x 2 gives you a percentage with one card to come, x4 with 2 cards to come.

Even this however becomes more inaccurate, the more outs you have.  There is another part to the formula which I cant remeber to give you more accurate % on hands with lots of outs.

FWIW - the hand in the example, you are not a favourite, you are an underdog
  • razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited September 2009
    ITS ROUGHLY 12 OUTS EQUALING TO 29%
    edited September 2009

ok As 7s Vs Qc Jh on a Ks Jc 3s board gives a7 44.44% vs QJ 55.55%

edited September 2009
    Was close... whats 10% between friends ;)... was only trying to give an idea of how it works
    edited September 2009
    Was close... whats 10% between friends ;)... was only trying to give an idea of how it works
    Posted by FlashFlush
    thats wat i keep telling the miss's