You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Showing your hand when raising late on in tournament

mag70mag70 Member Posts: 20
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
You take down the pot uncontested when raising in any position and you show your cards.

Had the privilege of playing on the same table as Tikay late on in the Primo (I got 14th place) and he showed his hands pretty much every time he raised.

I guess, the question is, specifically to Tikay, what is the philosophy of doing that?

A lot of top players never ever show their cards. And yes, I class Tikay as a top player.

I guess aggression and reputation are part of it.

I'm just intrigued by the tactic and it made me fold AJ (I was a lower stack) when Tikay went all in before me and showed pocket 6s when he got no callers. I guess respect on the table got me to fold, but afterhand I regretted not to make the call.

I'm just looking to learn the best tactics to play deep into tournaments.

Comments

• inka2003inka2003 Member Posts: 184
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Showing you hands when raising:
    You take down the pot uncontested when raising in any position and you show your cards. Had the privilege of playing on the same table as Tikay late on in the Primo (I got 14th place) and he showed his hands pretty much every time he raised. I guess, the question is, specifically to Tikay, what is the philosophy of doing that? A lot of top players never ever show their cards. And yes, I class Tikay as a top player. I guess aggression and reputation are part of it.
    Posted by mag70

Mag70 .... I'm sure Tikay will reply but even when on his own personal account, Tikay is showing the table, and any railers, the hands he is raising with for our benefit.  It's a display of his professionalism and dedication to Skypoker and its' clients (us !!). 
  • BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Showing you hands when raising:
    In Response to Showing you hands when raising : Mag70 .... I'm sure Tikay will reply but even when on his own personal account, Tikay is showing the table, and any railers, the hands he is raising with for our benefit.  It's a display of his professionalism and dedication to Skypoker and its' clients (us !!). 
    Posted by inka2003
    This is nonsense.
    The only reason people show their hands is because they think they can gain an advantage over you by doing so. Tikay is notoriously tight so shows garbage to present a loose image, otherwise why would he show? Or a loose player shows a monster to portray himself as only playing premium cards, or again why else would he show?

No-one ever shows a hand for your benefit - they do it for their own.
  • mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited September 2009
    hi guys,
    I think you'll find Tony was on his PTP account and as such he has posted before that he does show every winning hand. He does not do this when he plays on his own account. So if you are playing him on Tikay10 and he is showing good hands, beware if you then start playing him on Tikay1, dont be drawn into thinking he plays a certain way.
    His thinking on playing PTPs is that he shouldnt take someone to the cleaners, he will but he doesnt like to that is why he will put in the chat box BIG  HAND or something along those lines. He only tries to break even. However when on his private account he is just like you or me on the tables. He will lie, make moves, and generally try to take eveything you have at the table.
    SO YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

col
  • oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited September 2009
    mr mbro has put it perfectly in a nutshell here--tikay plays as an ambassador to the site on his ptp account--concentrating mainly on answering questions and having fun with the peeps--but on his own account he plays his own game and wants to win
  • inka2003inka2003 Member Posts: 184
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Showing your hand when raising late on in tournament:
    hi guys, I think you'll find Tony was on his PTP account and as such he has posted before that he does show every winning hand. He does not do this when he plays on his own account. So if you are playing him on Tikay10 and he is showing good hands, beware if you then start playing him on Tikay1, dont be drawn into thinking he plays a certain way. His thinking on playing PTPs is that he shouldnt take someone to the cleaners, he will but he doesnt like to that is why he will put in the chat box BIG  HAND or something along those lines. He only tries to break even. However when on his private account he is just like you or me on the tables. He will lie, make moves, and generally try to take eveything you have at the table. SO YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Col ... I agree with most of what you say but I think that it was TIKAY1 that the original poster was referring to in last night's Primo.  I appreciate you have played against Tikay far longer than I but in my experience, even on his own account, Tikay is happy to show his cards at every opportunity, not to create a false image, but to genuinely guide the other players.  I'm sure that Bigbluster will also think this is "nonsense" but it's my opinion.

Bryan
  • dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited September 2009
    inka 2003 has it spot on.
  • bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited September 2009

I didn't see this event,  but in general you wouldn't show your cards at anytime for your own benefit. All you are doing is giving the whole table 'TELLS' on how you play !!
    However it depends  on the player, who being TK on this site was probably showing because  he had a made hand and was showing the  other player that he wasn't 'mugging ' him with a bluff' !

In some cases 'live' and online, there are reasons for showing after the All-In bet, it can be done after a ' bluff ' however this maybe done to 'wind' a player up and it's not recommended unless your in a game that i would call, "Emotional" it's not nice ..!!

However showing the way TK does, is probably to help and players ...

One thing about the hand  in question is this,   AJ is a good betting hand, but not a good calling hand,  , the answer came back with an All-In Bet..
    You did the right thing in passing as was shown by the 'show 66' you would have been behind pre-flop !! 
    However had  you been in position and been able to have pushed All-In .. TK could not have called  with 66 unless  he was low  on chips !! Thats what position has for you !!

glk  benny
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,862
    edited September 2009

Hi Guys,

I was asked this question during a Tourney last night, & promised to reply on Forum.

I'm a little busy today, with the Show tonight, & then all day at Southend tomorrow with In-poker, so if you don't mind, I'll reply on Monday.

Part of the answer has been alluded to in this Thread - but I happen to hold a very strong view on the notion that we  should not show our Hands as it disadvantages us.......;).

I know, I know, everybody thinks shoiwing hands is a bad thing. That rather depends how you look at it......

Monday it is, then!
  • mag70mag70 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Showing your hand when raising late on in tournament:
    Hi Guys, I was asked this question during a Tourney last night, & promised to reply on Forum. I'm a little busy today, with the Show tonight, & then all day at Southend tomorrow with In-poker, so if you don't mind, I'll reply on Monday. Part of the answer has been alluded to in this Thread - but I happen to hold a very strong view on the notion that we  should not show our Hands as it disadvantages us.......;). I know, I know, everybody thinks shoiwing hands is a bad thing. That rather depends how you look at it...... Monday it is, then!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay,
    Appreciate you're a busy man, but just wanted to make a bump to the thread. I'm very intrigued to hear your views on this.

Mag70