You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Powerline adaptor as alternative to wireless/non wireless internet connection?

DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
edited February 2011 in Community Help & Advice

Someone has reccommended a I try oine of these for a more reliable connection?

Apparently it's an invisible wire? so I can have my comp connected to my router when they're in different rooms?

What do the techies think?

Maybe even noseybonk will like it !!!!!!

Also, I can't see any wires to connect the plug itself to my pc/router......would I have to buy them seperate?

Comments

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited February 2011
    Much better than rubbish wireless.

They network using the power cables throughout your house so it shouldn't matter where the PC & router are located.

Powerline goes into a spare mains socket - so make sure there's a spare near the router and the PC, or get a splitter - then you use an RJ45 CAT5e network cable to attach the powerline to the Ethernet/LAN port on your router/PC (If you don't know what Ethernet ports look like you can see it on the page you linked to in the 4th picture of the powerline).

So you may need 2 x RJ45 CAT5e cables but chances are they're included (not clear on that page). If you need to buy two then search that site for 'cat5e cable' and you'll see the various options (lengths).

PS for the small increase in the cost I'd be tempted to go for the faster 200Mbps version.

• DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited February 2011

Nice one bonk!

Finally got you interested :D

Money has never really been an issue on my quest to get a 12 tabling set up;......

So if theres gonna be any nasty surprises down the line, which I could avoid with abit of pre planning.....

Tell me NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!

I've been 5 tabling today when my connection has only been 2/5 bars (5/5 on my lappy)

So I'm well chuffed with the comp itself!!!!

:):):):):):):):):):):)
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited February 2011
    I agree with NoseyBonk, go for the 200Mbps version HERE

Also have a read of the reviews page for it HERE

The first review explains exactly how to install.

Prepare for a technical bit...

One thing to watch out for with these is making sure that your ADSL modem / router is connected to the same ring main in the house as your PC.  Huh?  I hear you say.

Well, if you are in a flat then chances are that in the whole flat all the plug sockets are connected behind the walls to each other in a big loop so there is no problem.

If you are in a house and the router is upstairs but the PC is downstairs you may have problems.  Often upstairs  has one ring main and downstairs has another.  Since upstairs and downstairs wiring isn't directly connected then the network can't communicate from one ring main to the other.

Just something to watch out for.
    edited February 2011
    Did you get these, JJ?

I just stole a couple of these power things from work (not the exact same model as yours but similar) and they work a treat. Didn't need any setup - just plugged them in and turned them on.
    Xbox 360 downstairs to network switch upstairs.

• DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited February 2011

No I didn't get them......

After reading Machkas advice, I wouldn't stand a chance.

And I live in a house, not a flat......

Ring mains scared the life out of me ..........................And I know 100% if it can go wrong, it will for me.....

Coping with a dongle sticking out the back of the machine....never been above 2 bars out of 5 on the signal thing, and browsing the net is slow, but it runs 7 tables on the download fine.....

Surely technology should be much more simple to use nowardays?

edited February 2011
    I think you'll be fine.

I'm in a house with seperate rings with one fuse box (consumer unit). The rings have that common source so it's not a problem communicating.

The engineers at work say they've never had a single problem with these things in any building.
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited February 2011
    Dohhhhhhh, if you order the powerline adapters online you have 10 days from the date of delivery to return them for a full refund.  No questions asked.  You've nothing to lose by at least trying it.

The Ebuyer page on the Distance Selling Regulations and how to return items is here.