You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Playing small pairs

STEVIEBEARSTEVIEBEAR Member Posts: 1
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi,

I would like opinions on playing small pairs and comments as to whether you would have played this particular hand the same as me. I had a pair of 3's in the open tournament last night with only 36 players left and I was in position 14th with 37000 chips and the blinds at 3000/6000. I was in 1st position with a full table of 6 people with this pair of 3's. I figured that with only 6 big blinds and wanting to win the tournament I needed to make a move and so I raised it to 12000 figuring that I would eliminate most players if not all with this play. The top stack at the table had 70000 chips however the person on the button re-raised all in (he had 60000 chips). All other players had folded leaving me with the decision did I want to risk it. I didn't have any info on this player as he had just joined this table and figured he either had a larger pair or say Ace King. I decided to chance it and went all in with my remaining 25000 chips and he turned over pocket 9's.

Based on this info did I do the right thing?

Comments

• MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited September 2009
    With only 6 (and a bit) big blinds, it's shove or fold here - especially if you are going to call the re-raise anyway.
    You're almost certainly getting called by the 99 anyway but you don't want the blinds calling you with hands like suited connectors (which would be overcards).
  • PiAnOpLaYaPiAnOpLaYa Member Posts: 554
    edited September 2009
    If your going to call a re raise u might aswell push so then u wont have that choice to make. 

If it was me playing i think i'd push and hope for the best you dont really want a caller
  • KdanemKdanem Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2009
    IT IS EITHER ALL IN OR FOLD WITH ONLY 5 BBS,, IF U PUSH ALL IN YOU MAKE IT HATDER FOR PLAYERS TO CALL, THY WILL ONLY CALL WITH P/P OR A J AQ AK ..LIMITS THERE CALLING ABILITY .BY DOING 12.000 YOUR LETTING WEKER HNDS IN TBH..
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited September 2009
    Hi Steve

From what you say above, you only have about 6BB,s left, but you only min raised therefore making it more likely that someone will at least call if not go over the top with something like AK, the question you need to ask yourself is what do I want from this bet, will just doubling the BB do anything? unlikely in my view, on the button 6BB,s in my opinion is Push or fold, al your chips went in anyway, so why not do it first? you no longer have a decision to make.

I cannot promise you would not have had the call, but you end up in a race if she/he does, but could you call an "All In"?

Hope this helps
  • TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
    edited September 2009
    im folding pocket 3s from that position tbh stevie,u had 6 bb bhind ,i wud av waited 4 a better spot..........if i was gonna play them from utg i wud av shoved the lot in ,but u wud av bn called by the pocket 9s anyway,to cut a long story short pocket 3s utg is not a great hand later stages of a tourny ,hope this helps u m8
  • bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Playing small pairs:
    Hi Steve From what you say above, you only have about 6BB,s left, but you only min raised therefore making it more likely that someone will at least call if not go over the top with something like AK, the question you need to ask yourself is what do I want from this bet, will just doubling the BB do anything? unlikely in my view, on the button 6BB,s in my opinion is Push or fold, al your chips went in anyway, so why not do it first? you no longer have a decision to make. I cannot promise you would not have had the call, but you end up in a race if she/he does, but could you call an "All In"? Hope this helps
    Posted by acebarry10
    yep exactley  nice one Ace !
  • GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited September 2009
    Quite simple, as said by the others, its a FOLD or a SHOVE

FYI, id prob take Tenofspades approach and fold, but a shove is fine too.
  • elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited September 2009
    Chuck 'em away UTG
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Playing small pairs:
    Chuck 'em away UTG
    Posted by elsadog

... or shove.
    edited September 2009
    As a rule of thumb, if you're trying to win the tournament, shove.
    If you're trying to "ladder up" (i.e. get a bit more cash by finishing higher) fold.

• BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited September 2009
    AGREE WITH TEN AT THIS STAGE YOUR GONNA  PROBABLY GET CALLED BY ANYONE WITH A PAIR OR 2 FACE CARDS. IF THIS HAPPENS YOUVE GOT 2 CARDS THAT CAN IMPROVE YOUR HAND THEYVE LOADS
  • lucky77777lucky77777 Member Posts: 1,444
    edited September 2009
    hey dont knock any pair take a look at this tell me what think please peeps much appreciatted

CardsAmountPotBalance
    lucky77777 Small blind   10.00 10.00 4750.00
    Soreknees Big blind   20.00 30.00 4740.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

MACH_1 Call   20.00 50.00 5040.00
    SHY-BOY Call   20.00 70.00 10300.00
    lucky77777 Raise   90.00 160.00 4660.00
    Soreknees Fold        
    MACH_1 Call   80.00 240.00 4960.00
    SHY-BOY Call   80.00 320.00 10220.00
    Flop

lucky77777 Check        
    MACH_1 All-in   4960.00 5280.00 0.00
    SHY-BOY Fold        
    lucky77777 All-in   4660.00 9940.00 0.00
    Turn

• K

River

lucky77777 Show
    • A
    • Q

MACH_1 Show

MACH_1 Win Pair of 2s 9940.00   9940.00
  • elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited September 2009
    This happens a lot. Many players think that to win, or high place, in a tourney you need to be out of the blocks like a greyhound. They will take chances early on because they think that's needed to win. Featuring in the chip lead in a tournament's early stages rarely leads to success. Check out any mtt with a reasonable number of runners and see who from the early or mid section chip leaders makes it to the final table let alone winning it. I try to avoid any all in situation in the early stages unless I hold a monster hand.