You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

I may never be rich but...

FBSFBS Member Posts: 131
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat

I'm still solvent ;)

The year long season has just finished at my local club and much to my surprise i actually made a profit over the last 12 months...

Played 52 games, ( buy in from £10 - £30 )

Total cost = £780

Winnings = £979

Profit = £199

of course there are facility fees to pay as well which add about another £110 to the cost but it still means I came out ahead :)

Not bad , getting 52 free nights out seems like a good deal .... seeing as live Poker is a fun night out for me.

Though this is slightly off set by my on line loss of approx £60,

But it does mean that over  the last year Poker has actually been a fairly cheap hobby to have ....

Any one else care to admit how little ( or much ) they won in the last 12 months of live play ?

Comments

• FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited September 2009
    Like Greg Raymer says, if you only play poker as a game then if you break even thats great, because you have had hours of fun playing and it hasnt cost you a thing... if you make a profit then great... well done

As im personally on a low income i kind of rely on poker winnings, i see myself as a 'semi-pro' if there is such a thing?... iv tried playing fulltime in the past but as im a bad cash player there is no benefit in me playing in the day as there are only small tournaments on sky, all the money is in the evenings, so normal 9-5 in the day then poker shark in the evening ;-)
  • Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited September 2009
    My plan this year is to break even by the end of the year.  I only play online and since the start of the year I am around £150 up. 

Last year I played both MTT's & Cash and made quite a large loss (mainly on the cash tables) so this year I have only been playing MTT's and am making sure that I keep within my bankroll.
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: I may never be rich but...:
    My plan this year is to break even by the end of the year.  I only play online and since the start of the year I am around £150 up.  Last year I played both MTT's & Cash and made quite a large loss (mainly on the cash tables) so this year I have only been playing MTT's and am making sure that I keep within my bankroll.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
     WOW, i find that VERY hard to believe... you always go deep in the tournaments and i class you as one of the better players on the site... Maybe you should be more precise with your stats and see where you make a win/loss because IMO you should be making alot more than that
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited September 2009
    Like Greg Raymer says, if you only play poker as a game then if you break even thats great, because you have had hours of fun playing and it hasnt cost you a thing... if you make a profit then great... well done  As im personally on a low income i kind of rely on poker winnings, i see myself as a 'semi-pro' if there is such a thing?... iv tried playing fulltime in the past but as im a bad cash player there is no benefit in me playing in the day as there are only small tournaments on sky, all the money is in the evenings, so normal 9-5 in the day then poker shark in the evening ;-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    why not play on other sites?  a winning player is always gonna be a winning player, so you should be able to make a decent ROI on some of the big sites.  even if the tournies dont attract you the the STT skills are very transferable.

i know a couple of people who suck at da cash but destory MTT/STTs....
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: I may never be rich but... : why not play on other sites?  a winning player is always gonna be a winning player, so you should be able to make a decent ROI on some of the big sites.  even if the tournies dont attract you the the STT skills are very transferable. i know a couple of people who suck at da cash but destory MTT/STTs....
    Posted by scotty77
     Yeh i know what you mean, i have tried playing on others, but weirdly i dont seem to play as well as i do on sky, i think its because i have been here since the start i feel more comfortable with the layout etc. on here, sounds weird as you are only doing the same thing all the time... Also with 3 kids i need a steady income as well as poker winnings
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited September 2009
    Yes that is wise.  I played totally full time earlier this year and it took over my life.  Doing 7k in one month of downswing was enough haha.  Now I hvae a semi part time proper job to keep me in the real world :)

I would imagine that the playing style here is slightly different.  On other sites its not quite as passive and way more aggressive.  I'm sure with more practice tho you will adapt, so it is something you should try.  

Also with all the deposit bonuses and rakeback there is tonnes of free money out there for decent players like yourself, if you are willing to put the hands in multitabling.

IMO just try FTP/Stars and try and hammer out 100 STTs over a free weekend of something.  Even the 1.10$, as it will give you an idea of your ROI plus it will be useful to have a different type of game in your arsenal.

I do like the layout on Sky, but in general the software is pants and if you do hammer out a few 8 tabling sessions on one of the big sites you will see why.