You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Weekend footy betting (5th/6th)

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited March 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
I was in two minds as to whether or not to post my selections up tonight but figured that as I'd had a bet then I might as well. I'll be honest, my confidence is really low at the moment & I'm questioning my every judgement but as per usual I've spent hours researching so let's just hope the form book doesn't go flying out the window again this weekend!

Two bets to start with as usual for tomorrow & I may add one or two more tomorrow

Main Acca:

Burnley to beat Palace (H) @ 8/13
Peterborough/Exeter - Both to score @ 8/15
Crewe/Burton - Both to score @ 4/7
Rotherham to beat Barnet (H) @ 8/11

These four pay a healthy 11/2 so I've had my usual tenner here

Not only have Burnley been playing better under Eddie Howe they've also been picking up results which has put them right back in the hunt for at least a play off spot. They're currently sitting in 8th spot just 4 points outside of the play off places but they have 2 games in hand over every side above them too. They've been really strong at Turf Moor so far with only 3 defeats from 15 there. They come into this game in good form with only 1 defeat in their last 8 in the league which came on the road at Doncaster at the beginning of February. Palace appear to be slowly clawing their way out of relegation trouble but the main reason for that is their home form where they're unbeaten in 10. However it's clear to see that the biggest reason why they're struggling at the wrong end of the table is because of their poor results on the road this term. In 17 attempts so far they've won only once (at Norwich of all places!) whilst losing 13 of them. They've lost their last two away from Selhurst & they won't be relishing this trip to the North West. If Burnley are to make it into the play offs then they need to make their home games count so maximum points here is a must.
I probably don't need to explain about my next pick as this should probably be on everyone's coupon this weekend. Peterborough have scored more goals than anyone else in League 1 with 72 in in 32 games of which, 48 of those goals have been scored in their 17 games at London Road. On the flip side they've also got the 2nd worst defensive record in the division having conceded 60 goals of which, 34 of those have gone in at London Road. In fact in 14 of their 17 home games so far both sides have scored so this should be as close to a banker as you'll get this weekend. Exeter have goals in them too & they've scored in 10 of their last 11 league games, including 7 in their last 3 on the road. It should be another entertaining game in Cambridgeshire & I wouldn't put anyone off backing the over 2.5 goals in this game either.
In Crewe's last 10 league games both sides have scored in 9 of them. They're on a bad run at the moment & are leaking goals but they can score too. Burton are another side who are conceding as many as they're scoring & their last 3 league games have produced a whopping 16 goals. The history books also suggest that there should be goals at Gresty Road too as both sides have scored in their previous 3 league meetings.
Since the turn of the year Rotherham have had a bit of a wobble losing 6 of their 11 league games played. However they're unbeaten in their last 3, winning 2 of them & have been strong at home which explains why they're only outside of the automatic promotion spots on goal difference. They've only been beaten twice in 16 at the Don Valley Stadium so far & this weekend they welcome a Barnet side who have the worst away record in the division. In 16 attempts they've managed just 1 win away from Underhill & their recent record against Rotherham isn't good either as they've lost their last 3 meetings. Generally Rotherham are a decent side to back at home almost anytime but against the worst travellers in the division they should be included in just about every acca this weekend.

Super Long Shot Acca:

Birmingham to beat West Brom (H) @ 5/4
Newcastle/Everton - DRAW @ 9/4
QPR to beat Leicester (H) @ 6/5
Bournemouth to beat Oldham (H) @ 4/5
Leyton Orient to beat Notts Co (H) @ 7/5
Huddersfield to beat Yeovil (A) @ 6/5

These 6 pay a massive 152/1 so only a quid & a bit of change here.

Birmingham should be on cloud nine after their Wembley win last weekend but this won't be an easy game. However, West Brom haven't been great travellers this season with only 2 wins from 14 away from the Hawthorns so far but this is a derby game which can often change things a bit. Birmingham also have the upper hand in this fixture at St Andrews too winning 6 of the last 8 meetings there. In fact you have to go back to November 2001 to find the last time West Brom picked up maximum points in the blue half of Birmingham. I expect this to be a fairly tight game but given the fact that Birmingham have just won a Wembley final & the fact they're at home, this price is seriously massive.
Only Fulham & Man Utd have drawn more games on the road than Everton this season & I fancy they may catch those two up with their trip to the North East tomorrow. 2 of the last 3 meetings between these two have finished all square & with Everton being a bit out of sorts at the moment they'll be happy with a point here. It's been difficult predicting Newcastle's results this season as it depends which side are gonna turn up. I really can't decide between the two of them so backing the draw seems like a good option imo.
I never thought I'd see a price this big on QPR at home this season so snap this up quick. They've only lost once at Loftus Road so far & whilst Leicester will provide a test for them I think they'll take the points here. They're unbeaten in their last 10 in the league & have also won 3 of their last 4 in West London. Leicester have been a little shaky in the last couple of weeks losing on the road in Cardiff & then only managing a point at home to Coventry last weekend, a result that busted a lot of coupons. They lost the reverse fixture 2-0 at the Walkers Stadium back in September & I fancy a similar outcome this time round too.
I rarely include odds on picks in my long shots but felt that Bournemouth were worthy of inclusion this time round. The Cherries are in superb form coming into this game with only 1 defeat in their last 13 home or away. They're not particularly ripping sides to shreds but they're grinding out results especially at Dean Court where they've only lost 2 from 17 so far. Oldham are in a bad run of form themselves at the moment with no wins in their last 6 & 3 defeats in their last 4. The only reason I didn't include this in my main acca though is because of the respective form of each side. It's the sort of game that will blindside you when putting a bet together, yet you also can't ignore the form either so into the long shot it goes.
This is a seriously big price on Orient to get the points here & the main reason this one is in my long shot rather than my main bet is because I'm not sure how they might react to their drubbing at the Emirates in midweek. Granted, they were expected to lose that game but a defeat that big can knock a team sideways if you've been on a good run, which they have. The cup defeat aside, the O's come into this game unbeaten in 10 in the league which makes this price even more appealing. County have been doing OK themselves since the end of November with only 2 league defeats in 13 home & away but they've generally not been good on the road with only 2 wins from 13 all season. 
Huddersfield are the riskiest pick in this long shot imo but at this price they're definitely worth the gamble. Yeovil are struggling at the wrong end of the table & are in poor form at the moment with 4 defeats in their last 5 although none of those have been heavy defeats. Their biggest problem this season has been scoring goals as they are the lowest scorers in the division with only 31 goals in 32 games so far & only 15 at home in 15 games. In contrast Huddersfield come into this game in decent form themselves & are unbeaten in their last 7 home & away. They can certainly score goals too & have 27 in their 16 away from the Galpharm so far. However the reason I think they're the riskiest picks here is because they have a tendency to drop points where they probably really shouldn't on the road but as stated earlier, I simply can't ignore this price.

Good luck if you're having a go tomorrow. Hopefully my luck will change too :)

Jay

Comments

• Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited March 2011
    1/ Blackpool vs Chelsea Mon  -   Chelsea to win both halves  at   2.6 (about 6/4)

2/ Chelsea to win 3-1 at 12.0  (11/1)

3/ Norwich Vs Preston  - HT score - any unquoted ( anyhting over 2-1 either wayeg  - 2-2 , 3,0 etc )   at 15.5
  • Options
    bandinibandini Member Posts: 1,802
    edited March 2011
    Bolton, QPR and St.j to draw.

On a drunken whim. Usually works as well as anything when it comes to footie betting.
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited March 2011
    All the best Jay, your selections look good to me!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bolton v Aston Villa
    Leyton Orient
    v Notts County
    Lincoln v Accrington Stanley
    Northampton v Shrewsbury

£5 pays £236.50
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (5th/6th):
    All the best Jay, your selections look good to me!
    Posted by splashies
    Thank you Sir

I've had one more for a bit of extra fun this afternoon.

Prem Special:

Arsenal to score 2+ goals @ 4/7
    Bolton/Villa - Both to score @ 8/11
    Fulham to beat Blackburn (H) @ 8/13
    Newcastle - Win either half @ 5/6
    Man City - Win to Nil @ 11/10
    West Ham to score 2+ goals @ 11/10

These 6 pay 34/1 so I've had a couple of quid & change on it.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Long shot now dead & buried before we've even got anywhere near the 3 o clock kick offs!

Thanks Birmingham. A bad result in more ways than one for me. Three points today are an absolute must now.
  • Options
    shazallinshazallin Member Posts: 558
    edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (5th/6th):
    Bolton, QPR and St.j to draw. On a drunken whim. Usually works as well as anything when it comes to footie betting.
    Posted by bandini
    Looks like drunken whims are the way forward, well done
  • Options
    christiannchristiann Member Posts: 468
    edited March 2011
    Had - Leeds (-1)
             QPR
             Leyton Orient

just a few squid returned £35
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I didn't win my acca. But seriously guys check out young Michael Jacobs goals for Northampton v Shrewsbury (2-3). Two world class strikes!
  • Options
    DPhillipsDPhillips Member Posts: 67
    edited March 2011
    well my bet came in

qpr and man city to win..

so now i have a free bet, 15.00 and want a decent bet 4 2 moz

was gunna do spurs and man utd any 1 have any ideas
  • Options
    christiannchristiann Member Posts: 468
    edited March 2011
    Silentbob, i know the results haven't gone your way recently but i love reading your selections and the reasons behind them, helps me out considering i usually just choose teams that won their last game and are going decent in the league haha :-)

Hope a few come in for you soon mate!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Cheers christiann I keep reminding myself that sometimes these things just run like this & sooner or later the form book will go with me!

It hasn't stopped me having another couple for today though

Main Treble:

Liverpool/Man Utd - Both to score @ 10/11
    Wolves/Spurs - Both to score @ 4/5
    Inter to beat Genoa (H) @ 4/9

The treble pays 18/5 so I've had a tenner on

Liverpool were really poor at Upton Park last Sunday & it's difficult to see them not turning up again particularly against United. United are missing Vidic & Ferdinand at the back & have been quite poor on the road by their standards this season. They'll be under pressure to get a result here after losing at Stamford Bridge in midweek & Arsenal dropping points yesterday. However with this game being at Anfield Liverpool will be going for the win here. Stevie G likes to score against United, Suarez will be dangerous as ever & Carroll is expected to play at least some part in the proceedings so they've got routes to goal against a weakened defence but United have plenty of firepower themselves so it should be an entertaining game with a few goals.
    Wolves have woken up a bit in recent weeks & have won their last two at home to Blackpool & Man Utd. They've got a belief about them now & despite the fact that Jamie O'Hara can't play against his parent club today they're still capable of getting a goal. Spurs will likely have one eye on their midweek meeting with AC Milan so may be prone to conceding but need the points themselves to stay in the hunt for 4th spot . They've scored in the last 9 away from the Lane in the league & should make that 10 this afternoon.
    I don't usually bet too much on the foreign games but this looked like a little bit of added value. Inter are currently 2nd in Serie A eight points behind leaders AC Milan but they also have a game in hand. They're the form team in the division coming into this game winning 5 of their last 6 & they've been super strong at the San Siro too only losing once in 13 games there so far (Vs AC back in November). In contrast Genoa are doing what typical mid table teams do & have won, drawn & lost 2 each of their last 6. Away from home though is where they're weakest taking only 1 point from their last two on the road against struggling Catania & Bari. They've not got a good record against Inter either & you have to go back to November 1994 since they last beat them. These two sides have already met twice so far this term (once in the league & once in the cup) & Inter have won both games.

Massive Long Shot Double:

Liverpool to win 2-1 @ 10/1
    Spurs to win 2-1 @ 9/1

The double pays a whopping 109/1 & is worth a quid of anyone's money imo.

Correct scores are not something I tend to bet on too much but I just fancy this & for a quid I reckon it's worth the gamble.

Good luck if you're having a go today. Maybe my luck will turn :)

Jay
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well done Jay you won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    WOO-HOO!!!!!

Finally managed to bag a winner although I must admit I didn't think it was coming in at one stage what with Inter being 1-0 down at half time & United leaving it rather late to get their goal. Although tbf it's about time I had a late goal go my way for once!