You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Midweek footy betting (8th/9th)

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited March 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!

I'd just typed everything out & then hit the wrong bleedin' button & deleted it all!!!

There's pretty much a full football league programme tomorrow night so initially I've had one bet.

Barcelona/Arsenal - Both to score @ 4/5
Leicester/Norwich - Both to score @ 4/6
Swansea to beat Watford (H) @ 4/6
Chesterfield to beat Northampton (H) @ 8/11

These 4 pay a very tasty 15/2 so it's the usual tenner from me

Wenger knows that if Arsenal are to have any chance of progressing to the last 8 then they have to score at least once at the Nou Camp. If they try to sit back & hope they can keep Messi & co out for 90 minutes then they'll be in a whole heap of trouble. There's a possibility that Van Persie & Fabregas will be involved & those two aside they've still got plenty of firepower to grab at least one goal. The whole world knows how potent Barca are with Lionel Messi already having bagged 43 goals this term in all competitions.
Leicester & Norwich are two more sides who like to score for fun & they've both got the striking talent to get them. Leicester have what is arguably a premier league strike force in the shape of Yakubu & Darius Vassell whilst Norwich have Grant Holt & Chris Martin to knock them in for them. In the 17 league games played at the Walkers so far this term Leicester have failed to score only twice & both of those were at the beginning of the season when they started slowly. They've scored in their last 13 straight there. Likewise, Norwich have only failed to score once in their last 14 home & away.
Swansea currently occupy the 2nd automatic spot in the championship & have a great chance to increase the gap over 3rd place Cardiff with maximum points at home to Watford. They don't concede many at the Liberty Stadium (only 6 in 17 games) & seem to have really found their scoring boots of late although they did leave them at home when they lost at Scunthorpe on Saturday. Watford have been out of form of late & their 1-0 victory at home to Millwall on Saturday was their first in 9. Swansea won the reverse fixture 3-2 at Vicarage Road earlier in the season & it looks like a miserable trip to South Wales for the Hornets this time round too.
Chesterfield really let me down the other week when they lost 2-0 at home to Morecambe but it seems that may have just been a minor blip. They've won the 4 games either side of that defeat including a thumping 4-1 win at home to promotion chasing Wycombe. Despite two belting goals by Michael Jacobs on Saturday Northampton still lost 3-2 at home to Shrewsbury to leave them winless in their last 8 in the league. Their overall away record doesn't make good reading either as they've only won 2 from 16 so far. With 2nd placed Bury having 2 games in hand over leaders Chesterfield they know that nothing less than maximum points here will do & I strongly fancy them to get them.

If you fancy a long shot for tomorrow night then you might want to consider risking a quid on these 5:

Norwich to beat Leicester (A) @ 3/1
QPR to beat Millwall (A) @ 13/8
Bournemouth to beat Exeter (A) @ 5/4
Leyton Orient to beat Walsall (A) @ 6/4
Brighton to beat Brentford (A) @ 11/10

The 5 way potentially returns a massive 123/1 but given the form of the respective teams I reckon it's definitely worth a quid.

Good luck if you're having a go

Jay

Comments

• Options
    DPhillipsDPhillips Member Posts: 67
    edited March 2011
    cheers m8

your main bet looks tempting, better then what i was gunna have a punt at

QPR, FOREST nd CARDIFF all to win at about 10/1 haha
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited March 2011
    Sorry Jay I cannot wish you good luck this week as you have Northampton to lose. However, I agree with you that we will probably lose.

I think both teams to score in this match is nailed on! 
  • Options
    pieman1213pieman1213 Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2011
    barca, swansea, chesterfield and southampton all to win. pays 4/1
  • Options
    DPhillipsDPhillips Member Posts: 67
    edited March 2011
    does any 1 think qpr nd portsmouth double is a good bet?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Midweek footy betting (8th/9th):
    Posted by DPhillips
    i think its great value at 6/1...QPR may do it as they are top and will expect to win every game. pompey will be a lot tougher. good luck if you go for it but i tend to go for home teams to give me a slight edge
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited March 2011
    I've gone for:

Leeds
    Nottingham Forest
    Queen's Park

Pays 13/2
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited March 2011
    After a nice little result last night I,m sticking with a correct score

Middlesbrough 3-2 Derby  33/1  £2 

Over 4.5 goals 7/1  £3

This would also be a major result as Boyd has just gone to Forest leaving the in form Leroy Lita to get the goals.  He had a slow start to the season and didn,t play many games, but after the change of manager he got more starts and i backed him to top the leading scorer chart in the Championship at 500/1  (a bit hopeful I know) . After a good run he is now 120/1 , although still 8 goals adrift, but if he keeps his current forn up he may well be in there toward  the end of season and  could easily be laid off for a tidy profit.

Although derby are pretty solid at the back Middlesbrough will be going all out for this one and need to score more than 1 as there defence is virtually an academy one with a 3rd placed goalkeeper due to injury

GL everyone 

Ps - good post Bob as usual although I wouldn,t quite agree on Darius Vassel being worthy of the Premier league 
  • Options
    edited March 2011
     Ps - good post Bob as usual although I wouldn,t quite agree on Darius Vassel being worthy of the Premier league 
    Posted by MP33
    TBF, I did say arguably :) Having said that he should be banging 'em at this level though.

I also decided to have a quid on my long shot picks too.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Posted by DPhillips
    QPR are probably worth backing but I'm hesitant about backing Pompey cos sooner or later they'll drop points & Bristol City have picked up themselves lately winning their last 3. Maybe a double of QPR/Forest @ 4/1 or QPR/Leeds @ 18/5 might be better (although I can pretty much guarantee that after you do either of those QPR will draw & Pompey will win!)
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited March 2011
    Leeds, Forest, Barnsley, Chesterfield.

gl 
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Barcelona/Arsenal - Both to score @ 4/5
    Leicester/Norwich - Both to score @ 4/6
    Swansea to beat Watford (H) @ 4/6
    Chesterfield to beat Northampton (H) @ 8/11

Looking good  Bob - wish i,d copied it
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    **** Swansea. They absolutely battered Watford by the sounds of it too :(
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    sry - spoke to soon - hope i didnt put the curse on

My bet went down as well - just wish I,d backed barcalona to win the Champs league after first leg. i,ve been watching them all season and agree with greame souness - best team i,ve ever seen - same thing week in week out even  battering Real Madrid 5-0 

Shots on target 19 -0
  • Options
    RiverDohRiverDoh Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2011
    Bit gutted for you Silentbob. I was one goal shy too (from Lincoln City) for a cracking result tonight. Luckily I did small stake 7 and 8 timers so still managed to get over £80 back from a £6.35 stake. Trying to cut and paste my bet on here but I will probably stare at it for 5 minutes if it comes up on the screen lol (and grrrrrrrLincoln City)
    FootballBlue Sq ConferenceGateshead v DarlingtonBoth Teams to Score 08/03/2011 19:45Yes (Win) @ 5/6
    FootballNpower League 2Bury v MorecambeMatch Result 08/03/2011 19:45Bury (Win) @ 8/11
    FootballNpower League 2Southend v GillinghamBoth Teams to Score 08/03/2011 19:45Yes (Win) @ 4/5
    FootballNpower League 1Huddersfield v RochdaleMatch Result 08/03/2011 19:45Huddersfield (Win) @ 4/5
    FootballNpower League 2Burton Albion v LincolnTo Score 2+ Goals 08/03/2011 19:45Lincoln @ 2/1
    FootballNpower League 1Carlisle v HartlepoolMatch Result 08/03/2011 19:45Carlisle (Win) @ evens
    FootballNpower League 2Acc. Stanley v StockportMatch Result 08/03/2011 19:45Acc. Stanley (Win) @ 4/7
    FootballScottish Division 3Clyde v Queens ParkMatch Result 08/03/2011 19:45Queens Park (Win) @ 4/6
    FootballNpower League 2Barnet v WycombeMatch Result 08/03/2011 19:45Wycombe (Win) @ 5/4
  • Options
    RiverDohRiverDoh Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2011
    Enjoy looking at everyones footy betting thoughts too. Some decent stuff and a few close ones as well. 

Have not really been looking at any Championship games with regards to betting. That league has been an absolute NIGHTMARE for accumulator selections all season. Anyone doing accas regularly and being let down by one or two selections??? Bet you it was a Championship team (or teams) that blew your bet out of the water.

Much better value in the lower leagues if you have got time to spend an hour or so looking at them.
  • Options
    murray69murray69 Member Posts: 436
    edited March 2011
    Last nyt i had chesterfield, wycombe, shaktar, middlesbrough, barnsley and bournemouth and bournemouth lost :@. im going for spurs valencia and birmingham and everton draw tonite gl
  • Options
    christiannchristiann Member Posts: 468
    edited March 2011
    I had a small one come in with:

Barca -Arsenal both to score
    Bradford
    Southampton
    Leicester - Norwich both to score

Unfortunately I had two bets and this was the smaller one with only £2 staked but a cheeky £32 return ain't bad!

The other bet woulda returned £50 as well had Swansea not conceded :-(
  • Options
    christiannchristiann Member Posts: 468
    edited March 2011
    I had a small one come in with:

Barca -Arsenal both to score
    Bradford
    Southampton
    Leicester - Norwich both to score

Unfortunately I had two bets and this was the smaller one with only £2 staked but a cheeky £32 return ain't bad!

The other bet woulda returned £50 as well had Swansea not conceded :-(
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    **** Swansea. They absolutely battered Watford by the sounds of it too :(
    Posted by silentbob
     yep swansea cost me as well in a 8/1...they battered watford and their keeper made some unbelievable saves. to make things worse, swansea conceded a really soft goal and hit the post in injury time!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Enjoy looking at everyones footy betting thoughts too. Some decent stuff and a few close ones as well.  Have not really been looking at any Championship games with regards to betting. That league has been an absolute NIGHTMARE for accumulator selections all season. Anyone doing accas regularly and being let down by one or two selections??? Bet you it was a Championship team (or teams) that blew your bet out of the water. Much better value in the lower leagues if you have got time to spend an hour or so looking at them.
    Posted by RiverDoh
    I usually spend a few hours researching all the leagues when there's the best part of full programme on. The problem is the form book seems to hate me lately :(

On to tonight & I've gone for a small double of both sides to score in the 2 CL games at Spurs & Schalke @ 9/4.