You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Poor Show From SkyBet

JAEGERBOMBJAEGERBOMB Member Posts: 1,516
edited March 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
This evening I placed a £10 bet at 40/1 for Dundee United to beat Hamilton while they were 1-0 behind. United duelly scored in the last minute and when returning to my account I found that the bet was VOID. However , the bet only became "VOID" at the final whistle/ United scoring.

Beware making any more bets at this disreputable site,,,,,,,,I was tempted with 10 minutes to play to place a bet of £500 on the dray at 3/10 to guarantee a nice profit. I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that this bet would not have been declared void!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    SolarCarroSolarCarro Member Posts: 2,273
    edited March 2011
    Don't understand? Can't believe they would offer 40-1 on Dundee U at home against the bottim club, even at 1-0 down surely only 10-1 or so, presuming it was a mistake on the odds but if u made the bet you have a legally binding contract

Surely your betting slip confirmation is a contract of business, why would it be void?

I presume you have contacted customer care
  • Options
    JAEGERBOMBJAEGERBOMB Member Posts: 1,516
    edited March 2011
    yup Sir solar, I contacted the livechat and they informed me they will pay the odds of 10/3 which should have been offered.....................seriously could have lost a few hundred tonight if i did hedge my bets with 10 minutes remaining. My balance was only refunded the £10 on completion of the match which makes it all look slightly more Dubious!!!!!

off to bed and return home in 14 days aaaarrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ps mate, pm me your moby on fb and have a catch-up chat
  • Options
    bigians27bigians27 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    skybet is a joke, ok i am only a small time punter so only had £2 on dondee united to win, but odds were 50/1 so couldnt resist, and i have backed teams that were losing at this price before, so thought maybe they wre down to 10 men or something, and was over the moon brian, when they scored in last minute, as £100 is more money than i get in a fortnight,then couldnt believe they said it was a system error and basically tough. Aint there any way we can make as public as possible how rubbish this company is, so at least we can have the satisfaction of knowing they gonna lose new customers,dioesnt anyone know paddy powers home number cos im sure he would have paid out! Gutted and skint, not good
  • Options
    LENGALENGLENGALENG Member Posts: 337
    edited March 2011
    worst odds guaranteed,should be this sites moto.why does everyone else offer best prices (guaranteed),
    come on sky sought it out,you must be losing so much business
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited March 2011
    If these bets were accepted then surely they have to pay out?

Are you still able to see your betting slips with the receipt?
  • Options
    moonooomoonooo Member Posts: 554
    edited March 2011

Yea this is a poor showing from sky..I remember the site that involves £3.65 payed me out on a non winning accumulator but as a gesture of good will they allowed me to keep the winnings..Im sure this site makes enough money off punters to pay out on there mistake here..And its good to see skybet best price on most cheltenham races looool..Big Bucks is 5/4 11/8 with most firms skybet are showing a very ballsy 5/6..

• Options
    CLIOKIDCLIOKID Member Posts: 783
    edited March 2011
    There was definitely something weird going on last night with it.

I kept trying to place a bet on Utd when they were losing and when it was 1-1 but the betting on Utd to win was suspended but draw and hamilton win were still trading?

Skybet is murder tbh. Rubbish odds and don't seem to offer handicap markets on matches that they don't want to. And also when you go for handicap bets in an accumulator the site doesn't recognise it as a multiple and only lets you put it on in singles due to an "error."
  • Options
    CLIOKIDCLIOKID Member Posts: 783
    edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Poor Show From SkyBet:
    Yea this is a poor showing from sky..I remember the site that involves £3.65 payed me out on a non winning accumulator but as a gesture of good will they allowed me to keep the winnings..Im sure this site makes enough money off punters to pay out on there mistake here..And its good to see skybet best price on most cheltenham races looool..Big Bucks is 5/4 11/8 with most firms skybet are showing a very ballsy 5/6..
    Posted by moonooo
    Sky incorrectly paid me out on a bet last season.

Then took the money back out of my account the following day without even an e-mail.
  • Options
    RiverDohRiverDoh Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2011
    Good easy site to use, but when I ever look on oddschecker, Sky are almost always offering the shortest prices.

If I can get 6/4 on something that Sky are going Evens about, then its a no-brainer. I am going to use my accounts on other sites every time.

I reckon the oddsmakers at Sky just check everyone elses books before trimming the odds for their own markets.

MUST BE LOSING RAKES OF BUSINESS.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    P.S I hope they pay out anyone who lost out last night.

The O/P could have done his brains through no fault of his own if he did put that £500 on the draw to ensure a good profit.

Very poor.....
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,119
    edited March 2011
    It should be simple, if a bookmaker takes the bet the bookmaker should pay the bet. If i was to enter the wrong stake or put the same bet on twice (which i have done by mistake in the past). Ive just gotta suffer it & make sure i dont do it again, One rule for them & one rule for us. I can see a "This discussion is now closed" appearing soon.
  • Options
    SkyBet_JoeSkyBet_Joe Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys.
    I've had a word with football desk and they gave me the same answer as the customer team advised on the night.
    Basically it was an error and they paid out on the actual price (10/3), paid out winning bets and voided losing bets as usual.
    Hope that helps?

• Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited March 2011
    This has happened with every bookie at some point and legally they do not have to pay out (actually, there is no legal obligation on any bookie to pay out on any bet).
    Sooner or later someone is going to type in 111/1 instead of 11/1, and with more and more betting markets nowadays this is going to happen more often.

On the flipside though, if I intended to bet a tenner on a horse and inadvertently bet £100, could I get my £90 back because of a genuine typo? I very much doubt it.
  • Options
    pieman1213pieman1213 Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2011
    that seems crazy...surely once the bet went through they should pay you out at those odds...
    when you win, they said it is void is ridiculous...im sure if dundee did not win it would NOT have been void.
     how about twisting it around and next time someone has a losing bet saying i made a mistake,clicked the wrong button so my bet is void and want my stake back!
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited March 2011
    This has happened with every bookie at some point and legally they do not have to pay out (actually, there is no legal obligation on any bookie to pay out on any bet). Sooner or later someone is going to type in 111/1 instead of 11/1, and with more and more betting markets nowadays this is going to happen more often. On the flipside though, if I intended to bet a tenner on a horse and inadvertently bet £100, could I get my £90 back because of a genuine typo? I very much doubt it.
    Posted by BigBluster
    This.

As wrong as it morally is (imo) there appears to be a rule in place to protect the bookies against mistakes or even deliberate collusion.

I found this on blog.bookies.com:

"Bookies have a rule called ‘palpable error’ which means that if one of their members of staff offer you odds on a an event that are clearly wrong then they have the right to void the bet."

I don't particularly agree with it but I can understand why such a rule would be in place. At the end of the day bookies are run by human beings & people make genuine mistakes. It's like if you go into a shop & see a TV worth £1500 with a ticket stating £1000. Legally the shop doesn't have to sell it to you at that price because A) it's a genuine error & B) they can withdraw any offer without prior notice.

If it happened to me I would somewhat annoyed (to put it mildly) but like I say, I can understand why a ruling like this would be in place. 

Here's the link to the article. Hopefully it's OK to post this & apologies in advance if it's not.

• Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,318
    edited March 2011

Of course what bigbluster and silentbob say is correct. 

Also As said, human error can be got round by bookmakers.

As every losing bet I have ever made is due to human error ie i picked the wrong b...... horse  I look forward to receiving all my money back.

At the end of the day there are good bookies and bad bookies, decide for yourself from the terms offered by Sky Bet and the way they behave into which category you would put them.

Father Vaigret

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Of course what bigbluster and silentbob say is correct.  Also As said, human error can be got round by bookmakers. As every losing bet I have ever made is due to human error ie i picked the wrong b...... horse  I look forward to receiving all my money back. At the end of the day there are good bookies and bad bookies, decide for yourself from the terms offered by Sky Bet and the way they behave into which category you would put them.   Father Vaigret
    Posted by vaigret
    This.