You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

why am i a loser?

ANGELCAKEANGELCAKE Member Posts: 4
edited September 2009 in Poker Chat

Hello all, I just want to know if anyone else experiences the same as me. i find that if i have a winning streak or a bit of good luck the next time i play i lose all of my winnings and more. I cant  build a bank roll. is there any advice anyone can give me apart from not to play again after ive won?

Comments

• webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2009
    i actually seem to find the more confident i am the more complacent i get.

webby
  • elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited September 2009
    What are you playing Angel
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited September 2009
    Hi Angel

Bankroll management is the key here, only use what is widley accepted to be 5 to 10% of your bankroll at a time, if you win then still keep within your limit of 5 to 10% of your new total, as you say, you do find you lose and your bankroll decreases drop the number of games you play, the worst thing you can do is trying to chase it.

Even if it does mean playing only 1 game per day, or even not playing at all, poker isplayed for fun and if you play out of your depth, you worry about what your next move should be and what happens if I get this wrong and then loses its fun.

Hope this helps
  • xFALLENxxFALLENx Member Posts: 826
    edited September 2009
    Angel ur NOT a loser!!!!

I joined here 2 neary 2 months ago thinking I was a pretty good player.....am now considering buying poker 4 dummies. Spent loads of time thinking about what im doing wrong and the simple fact is Im NOT doing anything wrong, and my guess is ur situation is very much the same.
  • scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited September 2009
    Invest in a poker book, read the forums out there especially the 'poker strategy' and 'hand history' sections.

If you think you played a hand bad, then don't be afraid to post it to get advice and criticism from other players.

And what acebarry says about BRM.  I'd keep to 5% tho, I don't think a 10% BRM strategy leaves you enough room should you go on a bad run.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,862
    edited September 2009

Angel - it does not necessarily follow that you are doing ANYTHING wrong.....

The game of poker contains a HUGE luck quotient. The better players will win, or do better, & the lesser players will lose. Over time.

But variance is the thing, & you are always gonna have ups & downs - it's part & parcel of playing poker.

In 2003/2004, the finest Live Tourney player in the UK was Mickey Werrnick. Who went 9 months, playing every day on the Festival Circuit, without a SINGLE Tournament Cash. And then followed that with 28 Ranking Finals in 5 months.

Bankroll management is key, but understanding variance is the first step. 
  • RickyVillaRickyVilla Member Posts: 258
    edited September 2009
    What Barry and scotty said + join deuces cracked and use their forum and watch their videos - cracking content.
  • bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited September 2009
    Angel ..
       here's the truth of it, everyone feels good after a win, no pressure for the next days game on the computer, and if you lose a couple of quid so  what ?
    No problem  except when you go on the Chase to get back to where  you were..

Unless your a professional which I doubt 99%  of players are on these online poker sites ... then CASH OUT   The LOT  ..Everything !!
    Then start again with a weekly budget ...cash  in your bank or hand is  much sweeter  than left in a poker site  account to fritter away ...

glk benny