You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Did I have to play this??

edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
Getting towards the bubble in last nights Orfordable (went out 14th) blinds were cranking up. Guy who pushed all in 1st had been playing quite tight, so I pretty much knew he had a top hand (in fact even typed in chat box "wish me luck!"). Question is should I have laid this down in order to get to cash? Blinds were getting pretty big so I had to make a move soon........
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
dodgydaz Small blind   1000.00 1000.00 24455.00
weemallet Big blind   2000.00 3000.00 14357.50
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

goldon Fold        
chubby48uk All-in   33310.00 36310.00 0.00
Barlicker Fold        
micky6chin Fold        
DAIBOOT Fold        
dodgydaz All-in   24455.00 60765.00 0.00
weemallet Fold        
Flop

Turn

River

• K

dodgydaz Show
  • Q
  • Q

chubby48uk Show
  • K
  • K

chubby48uk Win Three Kings 60765.00   60765.00

Comments

• Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited September 2009

You have 12 BB's at the start of this hand, if it was 10-handed still you might have had a small chance of getting to cash, but tbh QQ is so massive you can't fold. You were unlucky to see and overapir as your losing to 2 starting hands. 3rd strongest hand, you wouldn't be seeing better than that any time soon.

Also I played one of these a week ago had same situation, big stack min-raised, I pushed with JJ he had Aces, went out on Bubble even worse.

• elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited September 2009
    AA KK QQ AKs .......shove your money in. You will lose sometimes but you will win overall. Every hand is a potential winner and loser so get your money in with the monsters.
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited September 2009
    Hi

I think you answered your own question when you said the other player had been playing quite tight, and suddenly goes all in should have set your alarm bells ringing, I dont think it is the case of folding into the money, its more of preseving your chips and waiting for a better opening.

That being said doesnt mean you may not have gone out in a better position, but if you still had chips left, you can still win it.
  • dodgydazdodgydaz Member Posts: 123
    edited September 2009
    That was exactly my thinking Barry....

On reflection I think its a fold, but having played for 3 and half hours and being completely card dead (best starting hand to this point 77) i thought now or never!

Having got through the blinds i think prob fold it try and pinch a few blinds and wait for a better spot.

PS. I hate calling all ins (unless v loose player) and very rarely do even with QQ
    PPS. I cant log in to the forum gggrrrrr
    edited September 2009
    I would call this every time with QQ. Pre-bubble players make moves knowing that most will fold. On this occassion you were unlucky to walk into KK but he could have played that move with a lot less. I think you have to decide whether you want to win tournaments or cash. A double-up here would make you very strong for the finish and potentially a much higher finishing position. I think you played it right, negative thoughts will prevent you from doing the same next time around and you will lose out in the long run.
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Did I have to play this??:
    I would call this every time with QQ. Pre-bubble players make moves knowing that most will fold. On this occassion you were unlucky to walk into KK but he could have played that move with a lot less. I think you have to decide whether you want to win tournaments or cash. A double-up here would make you very strong for the finish and potentially a much higher finishing position. I think you played it right, negative thoughts will prevent you from doing the same next time around and you will lose out in the long run.
    Posted by elsadog
    i also got a lot of greif at the table for this one early doors........ my pot odds were massive and i thought it was worth the gamble.... definately loose but is it really that bad??
    dodgydaz Small blind   30.00 30.00 5155.00
    GETIN Big blind   60.00 90.00 3620.00
      Your hole cards
    • J

meemee Fold        
    scrumdown Call   60.00 150.00 2645.00
    philh888 Fold        
    Barlicker Fold        
    galvo68 Call   60.00 210.00 3787.50
    no1ocsfan Call   60.00 270.00 5370.00
    g0rd0n123 Call   60.00 330.00 11855.00
    pod1 Call   60.00 390.00 6575.00
    dodgydaz Call   30.00 420.00 5125.00
    GETIN Check        
    Flop

• K
    • Q

dodgydaz Check        
    GETIN Bet   420.00 840.00 3200.00
    scrumdown Fold        
    galvo68 Raise   840.00 1680.00 2947.50
    no1ocsfan Call   840.00 2520.00 4530.00
    g0rd0n123 Fold        
    pod1 Fold        
    dodgydaz Call   840.00 3360.00 4285.00
    GETIN All-in   3200.00 6560.00 0.00
    galvo68 All-in   2947.50 9507.50 0.00
    no1ocsfan Call   2947.50 12455.00 1582.50
    dodgydaz Call   2947.50 15402.50 1337.50
    Turn

dodgydaz All-in   1337.50 16740.00 0.00
    no1ocsfan All-in   1582.50 18322.50 0.00
    River

• A

dodgydaz Show
    • J

GETIN Muck
    • K

galvo68 Show
    • A
    • K

no1ocsfan Muck
    • K

no1ocsfan Win Two Pairs, Kings and 10s 245.00   245.00
    dodgydaz Win Straight to the Ace 18077.50   18077.50
    edited September 2009
    JTs is as strong as any hand there. AKos is highly over rated. You needed to make a move some time soon and JTs is fine. There probably wouldn't have been any comments if you'd played an A rag and hit. High suited connectors are stronger than a lot of players think. Ignore the whingers and pat yourself on the back.
    edited September 2009
    thanks Elsa, I would make that play everytime and twice on Sundays lol. Fair play I wont hit sometimes and bust out, but if I got a chance to quad up on a 35-40% shot then Im there!!
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited September 2009
    JTs is as strong as any hand there. AKos is highly over rated. You needed to make a move some time soon and JTs is fine. There probably wouldn't have been any comments if you'd played an A rag and hit. High suited connectors are stronger than a lot of players think. Ignore the whingers and pat yourself on the back.
    Posted by elsadog
    Hi Elsa

You say JT sooted is as strong as any hand there? even though the AK off is best part of 60% fav to win the hand? though the pot odds were there, he was 40% dog for the hand meaning he is going to lose that pot 2 times out of three and therfore imo a losing play over time and had the best part of 86 BB,s so was in no danger.
    edited September 2009

I agree with you Barry because what you say is right,but..........

AK is 61% favourite pre-flop. However post flop that drops to 40% and on the turn AK is only 15% favourite. You can analyse that further with the KT player but I see no point in odds analysis of a hand after the fact. You can't determine the odds before the fact as you don't know what the other players hold. You can make an educated guess at your opponents cards to decide whether to continue in a hand but you won't know the odds. What needs to be considered when deciding whether to continue is far more complex than that. The damage likely to your stack should you continue, your stack relative to the other players not just the blinds. The number of outs you have. The recent table history. What point in the tournament is this occuring. AND.........do you feel lucky?

Don't underestimate the last one as it can be the most powerful tool you have in deciding whether to continue.

edited September 2009
    I agree with you Barry because what you say is right,but.......... AK is 61% favourite pre-flop. However post flop that drops to 40% and on the turn AK is only 15% favourite. You can analyse that further with the KT player but I see no point in odds analysis of a hand after the fact. You can't determine the odds before the fact as you don't know what the other players hold. You can make an educated guess at your opponents cards to decide whether to continue in a hand but you won't know the odds. What needs to be considered when deciding whether to continue is far more complex than that. The damage likely to your stack should you continue, your stack relative to the other players not just the blinds. The number of outs you have. The recent table history. What point in the tournament is this occuring. AND.........do you feel lucky? Don't underestimate the last one as it can be the most powerful tool you have in deciding whether to continue.
    Posted by elsadog
    To be honest Elsa I wasnt that bothered about what they held, if I hit an Ace or Nine then I had the nuts and was adding 14k to my stack if i didnt i was out. Definately a gamble as I knew I wasnt a favourite, but I thought the reward was worth the risk...........
    edited September 2009
    I agree with you Barry because what you say is right,but.......... AK is 61% favourite pre-flop. However post flop that drops to 40% and on the turn AK is only 15% favourite. You can analyse that further with the KT player but I see no point in odds analysis of a hand after the fact. You can't determine the odds before the fact as you don't know what the other players hold. You can make an educated guess at your opponents cards to decide whether to continue in a hand but you won't know the odds. What needs to be considered when deciding whether to continue is far more complex than that. The damage likely to your stack should you continue, your stack relative to the other players not just the blinds. The number of outs you have. The recent table history. What point in the tournament is this occuring. AND.........do you feel lucky? Don't underestimate the last one as it can be the most powerful tool you have in deciding whether to continue.
    Posted by elsadog
    To be honest Elsa I wasnt that bothered about what they held, if I hit an Ace or Nine then I had the nuts and was adding 14k to my stack if i didnt i was out. Definately a gamble as I knew I wasnt a favourite, but I thought the reward was worth the risk...........
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Did I have to play this?? : To be honest Elsa I wasnt that bothered about what they held, if I hit an Ace or Nine then I had the nuts and was adding 14k to my stack if i didnt i was out. Definately a gamble as I knew I wasnt a favourite, but I thought the reward was worth the risk...........
    Posted by dodgydaz
    My point exactly. at that point if you consider it time to make a move you have to take your opportunities. If it means you go out then so be it. If that cripples your roll then your playing far too higher stakes. If not then an educated gamble is the way to the line.

This is not everyones way I know that, most prefer to wait for rock solid chances but when and if they come the rewards are often not so great. If I am short stacked the hand I want is one with 3 or 4 players all with good hands against my 89 suited or similar. Yes I will lose a high percentage but the rewards on the ones I win make up for it IMO.
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Did I have to play this?? : My point exactly. at that point if you consider it time to make a move you have to take your opportunities. If it means you go out then so be it. If that cripples your roll then your playing far too higher stakes. If not then an educated gamble is the way to the line. This is not everyones way I know that, most prefer to wait for rock solid chances but when and if they come the rewards are often not so great. If I am short stacked the hand I want is one with 3 or 4 players all with good hands against my 89 suited or similar. Yes I will lose a high percentage but the rewards on the ones I win make up for it IMO.
    Posted by elsadog
    Horses for courses then (or greyhounds if your bennydip). I guess a lot depends on what kind of player you are and if you have the gamble in you. Having played a number of deepies and not getting any cards it coulda been a hundred hands before i had another opportunity like that and id prob of had less chips to work with hence the play.
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Did I have to play this?? : My point exactly. at that point if you consider it time to make a move you have to take your opportunities. If it means you go out then so be it. If that cripples your roll then your playing far too higher stakes. If not then an educated gamble is the way to the line. This is not everyones way I know that, most prefer to wait for rock solid chances but when and if they come the rewards are often not so great. If I am short stacked the hand I want is one with 3 or 4 players all with good hands against my 89 suited or similar. Yes I will lose a high percentage but the rewards on the ones I win make up for it IMO.
    Posted by elsadog
    Horses for courses then (or greyhounds if your bennydip). I guess a lot depends on what kind of player you are and if you have the gamble in you. Having played a number of deepies and not getting any cards it coulda been a hundred hands before i had another opportunity like that and id prob of had less chips to work with hence the play.